Reopen my workspace

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Hello
is there anyway with one click to save my current running apps and restore all same windows later with one click?
for example now I am working with there browers and calculator, I want to save the desktop and back to it with a single click
is this possible with any third party tools?

I've never done this personally, apart from a brief fling with Windows Steady State back in XP days, so below is for what it's worth—also, I'm on Windows 10, but 11 is very similar.

Possible Apps

These 2 haven't been updated since 2010:

SmartClose
CacheMyWork

2 others I have in my notes:

Twinsplay
I can't find a download site I'm comfy linking—dev Zinstall seems to have dropped it.
Smart Windows

These Windows Settings should help:

In Folder Options, View tab, tick this box…
XneTrJx.png

Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options—turn this on…
7RWyLEx.png

Set your browsers to launch with the tabs which were open when you closed it.
6zF8xRe.png

Other wild ideas:

Different User
When you switch back to another user, will Windows restore their apps & files?

Virtual Machine
Heavy duty solution.

Batch file
Copy names and paths of all open apps and files, relaunch them with a click.

Hibernate
This copies RAM contents to disk, should be a way to do something with that…
I think there's also a 'Suspend' thing…

Zloth

Community Contributor
*IF* that list of programs doesn't change much, just make a little .bat file with the programs you want running again.
  1. Make a text file on your desktop. Edit it with Notepad or whatever.
  2. Give the full path in quotes for each program you want to run, one per line. So, if you wanted to start Notepad, you would have a line that says: "C:\Windows\Notepad.exe"
  3. If you want to open a folder, you put Explorer on the front. So, if you wanted to open the program files directory, you would have a line saying: Explorer "C:\Program Files"
  4. Save the file and rename it to Whatever.bat.
  5. When you double-click on the batch file, it will start all those programs.
There are lots of fancier things you can do, like checking to see if a program is already running.

There's no way to easily make that list, but the .bat files are free and it's easy to make a few of them if you want.

Reactions: Brian Boru
*IF* that list of programs doesn't change much, just make a little .bat file with the programs you want running again.
  1. Make a text file on your desktop. Edit it with Notepad or whatever.
  2. Give the full path in quotes for each program you want to run, one per line. So, if you wanted to start Notepad, you would have a line that says: "C:\Windows\Notepad.exe"
  3. If you want to open a folder, you put Explorer on the front. So, if you wanted to open the program files directory, you would have a line saying: Explorer "C:\Program Files"
  4. Save the file and rename it to Whatever.bat.
  5. When you double-click on the batch file, it will start all those programs.
There are lots of fancier things you can do, like checking to see if a program is already running.

There's no way to easily make that list, but the .bat files are free and it's easy to make a few of them if you want.
for /f "tokens=1,2 delims=," %%a in ('wmic process get name,executablepath /format:csv ^| findstr /v /i /c:"node" /c:"name"')

etcetera....? I'm not really good at making batch files, but it seems like it could work. One batch file grabs paths and such and creates the second restore batch file. Just run it before you log off and then run the restore when you log back on.

I'm an amateur, though. I'd have to brute force my way through this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zloth

TRENDING THREADS