Red Alert - Do ppl still play this online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes, there's a small but fanatical community who as far as I know still keep it going. Look here:

Currently says:
"152 PLAYERS ONLINE"

ETA you might also find something you like at:

Man thanks for checking that for me! I used to love this game although I wasn't particularly good at it haha

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I'm still hoping for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 remasters... Although we probably won't see them because the original remasters didn't sell good enough, as I presume.

I'm not quite sure they really need remastering, maybe just digital distribution, localization, and compatibility with modern OSs and display resolutions. Tiberian Sun actually still works just fine (most of the time) on Windows 10... if you have the original CD ;) If you are really jones-ing for some 2.5D C&C RTS, you can get the Tiberium Resurrection mod, which also attempts to re-create the original C&C missions in the newer engine. Really worth a look.

I might be wrong, but from what I remember they never got on the bestseller list on Steam.

That is because the games released in the late 90's before Steam even existed, and they are still not on Steam to this day. I believe they are only available through Origin (Electronic Arts) digitally.

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I'm not quite sure they really need remastering, maybe just digital distribution, localization, and compatibility with modern OSs and display resolutions. Tiberian Sun actually still works just fine (most of the time) on Windows 10... if you have the original CD ;)

The original unmodded version on W10 has an issue with disappearing menu. This issue is fixed by installing unofficial patch, but it introduces another issue with ridiculously long loading times (at least on some PCs). The only way to play Tiberian Sun without any issues is to use an older computer with Windows XP. That's why the game needs a remaster. Besides solving the issues the game could profit from high resolution assets. The unofficial patch adds high resolution support, but the assets stay the same, so everything is very small when playing in 1080p.

If you are really jones-ing for some 2.5D C&C RTS, you can get the Tiberium Resurrection mod, which also attempts to re-create the original C&C missions in the newer engine. Really worth a look.

Never tried nor heard about the mod. It might be a valuable option to play the game on modern hardware. Maybe I'll take a look. Thanks for the info.

That is because the games released in the late 90's before Steam even existed, and they are still not on Steam to this day. I believe they are only available through Origin (Electronic Arts) digitally.

Actually we're talking about the remasters here which were released in the previous year. And they're available on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/.

Never saw them on the bestsellers list, so Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 remasters are quite unlikely. I hope that I'm wrong however, because I consider these two to be the best in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS