Recommended SDD capacity for Gaming PC

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi Guys

I continue to build my new gaming piece by piece, now with the SDD prices going down I want to take advantage and purchase one, the SDD function is for OS and Programs not games or documents etc., those go into an 8TB HDD

I am looking at the Samsung 980 PRO SSD but I don’t know what is a good/recommended capacity, usually I will try to buy the biggest capacity to make the PC last (my current build is 7 years old) I don’t know if 2TB for almost $300 is justified or should I just go for the 1TB one, my current SDD which is ooooolllldddd is at 95GB of 100GB and I currently struggle with those 100 continually filling up and down so I don’t want to make that mistake again but I also don’t want to overspend on an SDD for money that could go to a different part of the gaming PC

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
PNY CS2130 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4 Internal SSD $187.99

If your motherboard doesn't support M.2 SSD's then look at a SATA SSD.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Inch-Internal-MZ-77E2T0B-AM/dp/B08QB93S6R/
Samsung 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD $229.99

Thanks fot the reply, the mobos that would go with this SDD would be either

this one
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro

or this one
Gigabyte Z690 UD

so having the latest wont be an issue :)

Reactions: Why_Me
SDD function is for OS and Programs not games or documents etc
Unless you have some huge programs, 256GB will be more than enough. I have a lot of software with Win10, and still have 95GB free in my 256GB C: drive.

games or documents etc., those go into an 8TB HDD
That said, everyone here will advise you to put your frequently played games on a SSD—it can make a significant speed difference in initial launch times, and also in-game data transfer times like eg loading new map areas.

I'm not as big a gamer as many, so a 1TB G: drive SSD does me fine.

I don’t know if 2TB for almost $300 is justified or should I just go for the 1TB one
If your internet connection is fast, 1TB will be fine, since you can uninstall and redownload games quickly whenever you want.

Slow internet: how many games, of what sizes, do you want to have quick access to?

You can of course put OS and programs on the same SSD as your games, if you don't image your system disk regularly—see my sig about that—or if you don't mind a verified image taking ~2-3 hours.

Hi Guys

I continue to build my new gaming piece by piece, now with the SDD prices going down I want to take advantage and purchase one, the SDD function is for OS and Programs not games or documents etc., those go into an 8TB HDD

I am looking at the Samsung 980 PRO SSD but I don’t know what is a good/recommended capacity, usually I will try to buy the biggest capacity to make the PC last (my current build is 7 years old) I don’t know if 2TB for almost $300 is justified or should I just go for the 1TB one, my current SDD which is ooooolllldddd is at 95GB of 100GB and I currently struggle with those 100 continually filling up and down so I don’t want to make that mistake again but I also don’t want to overspend on an SDD for money that could go to a different part of the gaming PC

Thanks!

My rule of thumb for PC gaming is to go as big as you can afford. Some games are already over 200 GB, and there's a huge difference in playing a lot of games on SSD vs HDD. I'd definitely go with the 2 TB.

games … go into an 8TB HDD
I forgot to mention: if your games are mainly on Steam, then @Kaamos_Llama posted a very useful tip which should suit your setup perfectly, and allow a small SSD:

"cut and paste the folders from there to my HDD, and then uninstall from inside Steam. When you want to play them again, you can cut and paste the other way, and then just select the game and install it from within Steam"

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
Unless you have some huge programs, 256GB will be more than enough. I have a lot of software with Win10, and still have 95GB free in my 256GB C: drive.

That said, everyone here will advise you to put your frequently played games on a SSD—it can make a significant speed difference in initial launch times, and also in-game data transfer times like eg loading new map areas.

I'm not as big a gamer as many, so a 1TB G: drive SSD does me fine.

If your internet connection is fast, 1TB will be fine, since you can uninstall and redownload games quickly whenever you want.

Slow internet: how many games, of what sizes, do you want to have quick access to?

You can of course put OS and programs on the same SSD as your games, if you don't image your system disk regularly—see my sig about that—or if you don't mind a verified image taking ~2-3 hours.

Thanks! Seems like 1TB is the way I am going

Regarding the internet speed there wont be much issue :)

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS