Question Random restarts when playing games

Nub

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
My pc randomly restarts when I’m playing games like Valorant, this problem has occurred in the past and I fixed it somehow by reapplying thermal paste, but it stopped working again 2 weeks later.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: GTX 1650 4gb
RAM: 16gb
Motherboard:MSI B450 gaming plus max
PSU:Thermaltake smart 500w 80+

COLGeek

Issues like this are often heat and/or power related. What is the exact model number of your PSU (on label on side of PSU itself)?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)? If so, stop and revert back to stock speeds.

Make sure Windows and all of your major drivers are up to date (motherboard chipset, video, network).

Reactions: Brian Boru

Nub

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
It started like 2 month ago, and gradually got worse that’s when I changed my cpu cooler since I thought that was the issue, and it worked for like 2 weeks than stopped working again

COLGeek

Do you think it could be a problem with my graphics card since whenever I’m on Valorant or rendering anything big it uses up all 100 percent of my gpu
Not really, you want to use all of your GPU. You can adjust your game graphics settings for optimal performance based on your preferences.

The 1650 is not a GPU powerhouse, but it can game well at 1080p at reasonable graphics settings.

Unless you want to spend way too much money to replace your GPU, you are sort of stuck. Prices are awful these days.

Last edited:
What resolution do you game at?

Shut down all other software, except Windows Defender, before starting your game—overlays, chats, etc etc… they all put load on your system, and a load spike is likely the cause of your problem.

If you lower the graphics settings in-game, does that help?

Reseat/reconnect all connections—cables, cards, RAM. While doing that, look for any dirt on the connecting bits. As @COLGeek says, it's likely heat and/or power related, so you may as well do the local free checks before swapping components.

TRENDING THREADS