Question on C:drives

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
- What happens if I connect my current C:drive that has Windows on it, to another computer that already has Windows on it?

- Will the system not know what to do with it and crash? Or will it be considered a secondary drive and I will have access to some stuff?

- Will I be able to copy paste stuff to and from it?

- What happens if I connect my current C:drive that has Windows on it, to another computer that already has Windows on it?

- Will the system not know what to do with it and crash? Or will it be considered a secondary drive and I will have access to some stuff?

- Will I be able to copy paste stuff to and from it?

Your bios should have the details of the drive it boots off in its boot order, adding another drive doesn't change that info. it should just be added as another drive you can copy info off of.

turn this off if it isn't already - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

1 cause it doesn't help ssd
2 cause it might cause errors if windows isn't actually off when you move the drive.

might want to do it on other PC before you swap them as well.

You mean, through USB instead of a sata connection?
no
So, adding it via sata cable to the new rig will cause issues then?
no

the only way the PC would try to use the hdd in the new PC is if you added it to the bios as a bootable device.
Adding it as another sata drive shouldn't do that. It should just be seen as another drive.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
no

no

the only way the PC would try to use the hdd in the new PC is if you added it to the bios as a bootable device.
Adding it as another sata drive shouldn't do that. It should just be seen as another drive.
Oh. I'm so dumb. So you mean, that for it to be bootable it has to have the two cables. Sata and the one that connects to the motherboard. Right? Of course. Makes sense. So, if it has sata but not connected to MB, it will still work, but not be bootable. Correct?

for it to be bootable it has to have the two cables. Sata and the one that connects to the motherboard. Right?
Right. BUT… it must also be in BIOS/UEFI as a "bootable device".

if it has sata but not connected to MB, it will still work, but not be bootable. Correct?
Not correct. It must be connected to motherboard.

It's what BIOS says that determines which drives are bootable.

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Right. BUT… it must also be in BIOS/UEFI as a "bootable device".

Not correct. It must be connected to motherboard.

It's what BIOS says that determines which drives are bootable.
Thanks. But i mean, if it not in BIOS as a bootable, it will be recognized as a normal external drive. Right?

Sata and the one that connects to the motherboard.

The cable that attaches to motherboard is the SATA cable
I have to think what you call SATA cable is actually attached to power supply?
So, if it has sata but not connected to MB, it will still work, but not be bootable. Correct?
if so, then Yes, if it only has power, it won't be seen as a boot drive... or at all until you attach the cable from motherboard.

Reactions: shinkairi