Question about PC Gamer magazine

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Because there's only one printed magazine dedicated to PC games left in my country, I'm considering to buy a subscription of PC Gamer. The entry offer of three issues for 15 euro (including posting) is a very good price. I'm wondering however what's the current page count in a single issue. I'd be grateful if someone who buys the magazine in UK or US provides the actual data on this matter. I'll probably buy the subscription anyway (15 euro is not much of a hassle), but I'm simply curious how it compares to CD-Action magazine from my country. :)

"Ted Litchfield, Associate Editor: I'm going to have to go with the Game Gods, November 2000, though maybe not for the cover itself, but what it represents. I was about five years old when this issue came out, and I'm not sure if it ever passed through my hands via my older brother. It crops up on Twitter here and there and I always smile when I see it."

******* ouch!

I had this issue. I was well into PC gaming at the time as a sixteen year old. Maybe not that big of an age difference, but reading that just hits me right in the grey hairs.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
"This was a moment in PC Gamer's history when our page count was at its peak (a bricklike 448 pages in this case)" o_O
Wow! This was insane! :eek: CD-Action, which was the biggest Polish gaming magazine at this time, had around 200 pages… I’ve never seen a magazine with 400 pages. Basically right now I’d be satisfied with anything between 70 and 120 pages. Of course the quality of content is more important than number of pages, but this is something I shouldn’t be afraid of. ;)

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I had this issue. I was well into PC gaming at the time as a sixteen year old. Maybe not that big of an age difference, but reading that just hits me right in the grey hairs.
I started gaming on PC when I had around 7 or 8 years. Never bought a gaming magazine before this time. These were also a good source of full version of games, so I started buying a few of them 3 or 4 years later. :) Not sure what exactly was in the PC Gamer issue we’re talking about right now. :)

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
@Sarafan
This month's and last month's US version of PC Gamer had 114 pages.

Byte magazine used to have far more pages! (I just asked Bing, and it said the average in 1982 was 543 pages.) 95% of the content was advertising, too, and that wasn't a bad thing. Back in the mid-90's, when the internet was barely there at all, I would buy a couple of issues of Byte before buying a new PC. Then I would go through alllll the advertising, comparing prices and stats. And then I would buy from Micron. They always won back then.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
This month's and last month's US version of PC Gamer had 114 pages.
Thanks for the info. :) That's a quite good page count. I'll be buying the subscription then (probably starting with the January 2024 issue).

95% of the content was advertising, too, and that wasn't a bad thing.
Yeah, a lot of people in the 90s were complaining about the number of ads in magazines. But this was their main source of income. The success of these magazines wouldn't be possible without ads. We can only dream about such a big demand for advertising in paper press these days. Internet changed everything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts