Question about PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
I'd like to build a PC mainly for gaming i play alot of FPS and games like CSgo so i was thinking about this build.

i59600k processor
I need a good processorcooler so i can overclock the CPU to 4,9 GHZ atleast.
asus rog strix z390 F motherboard supports the overclock i think.
2x8GB RAM i think 3000mhz should be fine?
650 watt PSU should be enough i assume?
Geforce 1060 3GB videocard

I also am upgrading from 60hz to 144 hz and this setup that i mentioned above should be fine to run with 144hz monitor with?

What do you guys think?
Could use some advice :)

Reactions: Rensje
Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
do you have any of these items?
whats your budget?

I can buy the i59600k and the asus rog strix z390 F motherboard for a decent price and i thought i can build something around it like the components i mentioned above, mainly to play FPS games i play csgo on a decent level so i think 144hz is atleast required to compete against good players, and thats why im asking for some advice if this is a good setup or not.

my budged is kinda low maybe around 700€ so i just wanted to make the best out of it and i heard the i59600k is a good processor also if u manage to run it at a good overclock at like 4,9 ghz

If you're going to be playing mainly e-sports titles such as CS:GO, I don't think there's much point in getting a processor you can overclock. Stock clocks will get you to 144hz no problem at all. Depending on what price you can get that i5-9600k for, you might be better of going with the i5-10400f. It's €50,- cheaper new than the i5-9600k and in terms of performance it's basically a wash between them.

Also, don't buy a GTX 1060 3Gb in late 2020. You'll regret that decision sooner than later. It's going to be fine for CS:GO, Rocket League and the like, but I'm sure you'll want to play something a little more demanding from time to time. It won't be able to cope because the 3Gb of VRAM is a very limiting factor.

I've put together a quick list for something I'd be comfortable with for around 750-800 euros. You could probably build something for cheaper, but I'm personally not a fan of skimping out on quality and proper return policies.

I don't know what country you are based in, but I'm from the Netherlands so this is Netherlands pricing. Note that the power supply isn't taken into account because there's no price available for it on PCPartPicker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (€157.90 @ Azerty)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i13 X CO CPU Cooler (€29.50 @ Azerty)
Motherboard: ASRock B460M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (€99.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€75.99 @ Azerty)
Storage: Kingston A2000 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€63.95 @ Megekko)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (€249.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (€64.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: €741.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-30 22:42 CET+0100

I would like to reiterate that overclocking your processor is really only worth doing if you're chasing ultra-high framerates, because pretty much any modern CPU can easily achieve 144hz in most games provided the GPU is powerful enough to render the frames.

If you HAVE to shave off some more money because your budget doesn't stretch this far, you could look into getting a cheaper case, cheaper memory (something like DDR4-2666 at CL16 or CL18), buying a GTX 1650 Super or GTX 1660 instead of the 1660 Super, or maybe buying a GPU used. If you do, see if you can find one that's still under warranty so you don't bone yourself. Or just save up for another month or two so you can spend a little bit more!

Last edited:
Reactions: FinalVenom
Oct 29, 2020
Visit site
If you're going to be playing mainly e-sports titles such as CS:GO, I don't think there's much point in getting a processor you can overclock. Stock clocks will get you to 144hz no problem at all. Depending on what price you can get that i5-9600k for, you might be better of going with the i5-10400f. It's €50,- cheaper new than the i5-9600k and in terms of performance it's basically a wash between them.

Also, don't buy a GTX 1060 3Gb in late 2020. You'll regret that decision sooner than later. It's going to be fine for CS:GO, Rocket League and the like, but I'm sure you'll want to play something a little more demanding from time to time. It won't be able to cope because the 3Gb of VRAM is a very limiting factor.

I've put together a quick list for something I'd be comfortable with for around 750-800 euros. You could probably build something for cheaper, but I'm personally not a fan of skimping out on quality and proper return policies.

I don't know what country you are based in, but I'm from the Netherlands so this is Netherlands pricing. Note that the power supply isn't taken into account because there's no price available for it on PCPartPicker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (€157.90 @ Azerty)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i13 X CO CPU Cooler (€29.50 @ Azerty)
Motherboard: ASRock B460M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (€99.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€75.99 @ Azerty)
Storage: Kingston A2000 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€63.95 @ Megekko)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (€249.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case (€64.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: €741.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-30 22:42 CET+0100

I would like to reiterate that overclocking your processor is really only worth doing if you're chasing ultra-high framerates, because pretty much any modern CPU can easily achieve 144hz in most games provided the GPU is powerful enough to render the frames.

If you HAVE to shave off some more money because your budget doesn't stretch this far, you could look into getting a cheaper case, cheaper memory (something like DDR4-2666 at CL16 or CL18), buying a GTX 1650 Super or GTX 1660 instead of the 1660 Super, or maybe buying a GPU used. If you do, see if you can find one that's still under warranty so you don't bone yourself. Or just save up for another month or two so you can spend a little bit more!

Yeah i mainly play games such as CSgo or FPS games where that quick respond time is important, so thats why i want to upgrade to a 144hz monitor i have a 60hz 1 ms respondtime monitor atm and its just a slow system compared to whats available on the market today. Also a 240 hz monitor compared to a 144hz isnt much difference in respondstime i saw a video about that but from 60hz to 144 is a bigger difference and going for 144hz is a good choice i think?

I also thought that overclocking your CPU would give you that extra performance, but seeing your message you are saying that stock clock ghz is the better choice? doesnt a 4,9ghz i59600k overclocked give better performance than a stock i5-10400F?running at 2,9 at stock? i think it might give a slight better performance the i59600k right?

Also the videocard i understood that a GTX 1060 3GB would be enough for CSgo for a while CSGO doesnt require much VRAM. and i also play older games such as GunZ, once in a while, which doesnt require much strenght of a CPU or videocard im pretty certain of that, im not really that type of guy that plays the newest modern games which require stronger components. Maybe i should get a 4GB version if thats available but i think i should be fine around that.

I just like to compete with the top players at the games that i play and having a good pc would help you out ofcourse.

So i thought i'd just buy a 144hz monitor for that quick respond time, and a good cpu and gpu that will give you good speed to run the system. And have that quick gameplay for FPS games such as CS,go and other older games i play, but like i said im not really that type of guy that plays WITCHER 3 and all those other modern games that require alot of VRAM and other things.

Also if im gonna play a modern game which would require stronger components, i'd be aware of it but the heaviest game i play at the moment is CSGO so i think the components i said should be enough but im not sure, thats why im asking you guys for some advice.

So what are your thoughts on that? Thanks for your reply anyway :)

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
the 1060 is about 4/5 years old, im looking to replace mine with the new ones that are coming now, i wouldnt buy anything that old now, you need someting like a 16xx or AMD 5500/5600

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS