Question about my new system's CPU cooler

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Looking good!

I think the CPU temps should be fine, I believe it's more the CPU. I have the same CPU with a watercooler, on idle is about 40-50 degrees (that's with the case on silent mode tho, so the fans aren't spinning), under load of a game so far it's about 65-70 degrees.

When I increase the fanspeeds it goes to about 38 degrees but since I think I have a damaged fan it gets really loud (too loud for my liking) so for now I'll have to accept it this way since I don't feel like replacing fans, or doing them RMA :p

8oZWG6X.png

EDIT1 & 2: Did you manage to find the RGB lightening on your case? And by the looks of it (and the official name of this topic), you ended up using AMD's stock cooler?

Last edited:
Reactions: goko14 and Oussebon
If that's the Wraith Stealth cooler then those temps look good especially on load.

Relatively high temps on idle could be because the fan is prioritising noise over thermals. You could try gently adjusting the fan curve. I don't know if Ryzen Master has a utility for that or not - if not, there is usually a fan curve utility in the BIOS.

As for what temps are worrisome, it depends on what you're doing. 85 degrees on idle is way too hot. 85 degrees rendering in blender is not too bad.

If you see temps in the 90s, I'd start asking questions. Perhaps more worth looking out for is whether temps change much over the months. If you get 50 degrees idle now, and 70 degrees idle in 6 months, it's time to clean the PC! :)

Reactions: goko14
Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Yeah I ended up with the stock cooler, Wraith Stealth and those are the temps with it on my CPU. One thing that confused me is that it looked a bit high when idle and I thought, should i have bought one of the liquid coolers.
View: https://imgur.com/ELv4m1k

This is how it looks when I just turned on my PC.
View: https://imgur.com/xFDwY5H
This one a bit on load.

GPU temps, as I checked, idle and in game looks nice btw.
I mean I could have flexed my budget a bit more to get a liquid cooler but I ended up with the stock one saying it should be enough. I just don't want to damage the lifespan of my PC that's why I got a bit alerted. If you say ~60C on idle and 70-75C when gaming is fine and won't damage my CPU then no worries. If you say liquid cooling will increase my CPUs lifespan and performance stability on the long term, I can fit one like a year later.
I will check the fan curve.
And yeah I got the RGB lighting sorted from the on case buttons :)

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

Zoid

Community Contributor
Yeah I ended up with the stock cooler, Wraith Stealth and those are the temps with it on my CPU. One thing that confused me is that it looked a bit high when idle and I thought, should i have bought one of the liquid coolers.
Don't worry too much about idle temps. Ryzen CPUs have pretty aggressive boosting behavior at light loads, so you'll probably see idle temps that are higher and fluctuate more than you're used to. That's more or less normal. It's load temps that you want to pay attention to most.

If you haven't yet, try running a CPU benchmark like Cinebench and see what your CPU temps are under 100% load. On a stock cooler I'd expect you to see about 85C or thereabouts. If you see closer to 90C then I'd double-check your thermal paste application and case airflow.

As for an aftermarket cooler (should you decide you want one), liquid coolers are not necessarily the way to go and are not all made equal. I'd take a look at some high performance air coolers as well.

Reactions: goko14 and Oussebon
Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I am rebirthing this thread for a question.
My CPU cooler's sound changes noticeably with my mouse movements in a game. I mean when I am playing a game and move my mouse to look around, the sound coming from the PC changes noticeably everytime I move the mouse. It can happen when I move the cursor up or down in the main menu as well. There is no FPS drop when these are happening so it can't be something with the GPU. Is it the speed of the fan changing or smth? I recently turned off AMD's Core Boost from BIOS. Can that have any effect?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
When you look arround in a game, it needs to rerender the area. Could be that your PC is working harder at these times, and therefore louder.

Basically everything that happens besides and behind you isn't loaded. When you turn arround, it needs to be loaded in. It could be that your fans get louder when it's doing that. There was a really good video on that subject, but I can't find it. Will post if I do!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
May 14, 2020
Visit site
You will only get an accurate temp reading on a Ryzen CPU when using AMD monitoring software such as Ryzen Master, everything else will add 10 degrees.
And my advice, stay away from AIO liquid coolers, they're primarily all the same as ASETEK own the patent and everything is licensed from there to 3rd party vendors/manufacturers. AIO is noisier than a decent traditional HSF.
My idle loads with my Notcua NH-D15s on a 2700x is 35 degrees and autoclocks on all cores to 4.5 whilst never really going above 65 degrees ; my set up is in a small tight cupboard under the stairs, with no ventilation other than the door in/out.
And yes, my wife does call me Harry Potter.
I should mention I have seen my temps hit 70 degrees but it's rare and is the exception as opposed to the rule.