PSU smell + heat = too much power draw or bad PSU?

Nov 16, 2022
Visit site
I built a new PC in January (see specs below) that's been running great overall. However, I noticed a faint 'sweet' smell coming off the PSU even before installing it. Recently, I got into modding Skyrim with high graphical settings, and when I run that game, the PSU smell increases so that I can get a whiff of it even 3ft away. Putting my hand to the back of the PSU, this usually corresponds with an increase in hot air exhaust.

I used HWMonitor to keep track of my heat/power readings while gaming. The below images show the maximum heat/power readings for the CPU, GPU, and overall MOBO voltage during one brief session.
View: https://imgur.com/YpjS3ob

View: https://imgur.com/f8RPDZv

https://imgur.com/rlImMM1

My main question is: am I drawing too much power for my 850W PSU? Or does the smell indicate that there's just something faulty to begin with? Or... is this all normal and I'm over-reacting?

PC Build specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4
Storage: Inland Performance Plus 1 TB M.2
Video Card: GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB
Case: Lancool II Mesh C (1 rear exhaust fan, 2 top exhaust)
AIO CPU Cooler: MSI Meg Coreliquid S360 (3 fans w/ radiator acting as front intake)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W
Uninterruptible Power Supply: Cyberpower 1500VA

Nov 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks! I just read the thread; I'm hoping that's the answer. It definitely doesn't smell like isopropyl, but I suppose it could be a combination of things.

I just expected the smell to go away after a month of use if it was just some residue left over, but the odor has only increased. But I've also only recently put the system under heavy load, so... idk.

Thanks! I just read the thread; I'm hoping that's the answer. It definitely doesn't smell like isopropyl, but I suppose it could be a combination of things.

I just expected the smell to go away after a month of use if it was just some residue left over, but the odor has only increased. But I've also only recently put the system under heavy load, so... idk.
The 'sweet smell' does sound like isopropyl, but I imagine with high power units that there will be smells coming off insulating materials, etc, in decreasing amounts for a while. Maybe the initial smell which seems associated with that particular unit, just made you a bit sensitive to it.
Sounds like it has a good guarantee so no worries.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
It means its time to throw the steaks on! j/k

If the smell is commensurate with the demand, you have a problem. 'cooking off' is not something I have noticed much in my 472 years of PC experience. In fact with most electronics in general. For several reasons many PCB's are 'washed' (not with water) before they are ready for install.

When 'cooking off' does occur, generally its once or twice with diminishing odors each time. You may have noticed this with q new stove, heater, or air fryer, which generally are not cleaned as well as electronics.

As a former certified electronics tech, I have repaired many consumer electronics. My opinion is it is HEAT related, if that is over current remains to be seen, but the 3k graphics cards are certain to be power hungry.

I am way underspec with my Seasonic 1kW Prime.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts