plug in story engine

Just thinking

I don't know anything about programming but what games companies seem to need is a story engine that can be plugged into any graphics engine and let them use "stories" of games in new releases of games without needing to remake everything everytime for a new generation of consoles**. If it all it takes to update a new game is graphics to let it run on new hardware, it would be great if it could just be slotted in. MIght make games development faster too. Less time spent remaking games. More on repairing bugs and creating nft's to sell in the shop that is only part of game that needs to be bullet proof.

Since people seem to like buying the same game multiple times just cause it looks prettier, would sure make releasing newer versions faster.

** have to be realistic, they aren't doing this for PC games.

** have to be realistic, they aren't doing this for PC games.

That's only because of backward compatibility. If Windows 11 only ran games specifically made for it, there would be a lot of "next gen" PC re-releases coming out to grab all that new money.

I don't really understand your suggestion about a story engine, but it won't be long before all these upgraded games will be created almost entirely by AI. It's already happening in some cases.

Reactions: Pifanjr
You must have had a great idea, because that's already how they do it. Lol. They kind of already do what you're talking about. The "story" part of a game isn't what takes time to port a game to a new console. What takes them all of that time is that they have to get down to the hardware level and port the game engine over to support new hardware. Then also if there are any changes in the new console to how things work, like different controls, they have to customize things for that. The game, itself, isn't hard to port, it's just getting the game engine working properly with new hardware.

The game is already going to be compartmentalized so that they can reuse the game logic code and resources, but the biggest change will be made in the lower-level engine.

You must have had a great idea, because that's already how they do it. Lol. They kind of already do what you're talking about. The "story" part of a game isn't what takes time to port a game to a new console. What takes them all of that time is that they have to get down to the hardware level and port the game engine over to support new hardware. Then also if there are any changes in the new console to how things work, like different controls, they have to customize things for that. The game, itself, isn't hard to port, it's just getting the game engine working properly with new hardware.

The game is already going to be compartmentalized so that they can reuse the game logic code and resources, but the biggest change will be made in the lower-level engine.

This is just a guess, but depending on how much they are upgrading the game for a new generation, I would think the most human hours are spent on upgrading the art. That's only on games that really go next gen with their rereleases, but they may have to be doing it this generation because Xbox wants them to support 8k, if I remember correctly.

But I bet that the hardware work is pretty involved with this new generation, too, because they changed the way the memory works. Of course, that will be nothing compared to the next gen of consoles, which will probably use ARM.

I should ask my brother about this. He's worked in the game industry and is in town for the holidays.

This is just a guess, but depending on how much they are upgrading the game for a new generation, I would think the most human hours are spent on upgrading the art. That's only on games that really go next gen with their rereleases, but they may have to be doing it this generation because Xbox wants them to support 8k, if I remember correctly.

But I bet that the hardware work is pretty involved with this new generation, too, because they changed the way the memory works. Of course, that will be nothing compared to the next gen of consoles, which will probably use ARM.

I should ask my brother about this. He's worked in the game industry and is in town for the holidays.
Well, that depends on whether it's just a port, or if it's an actual remake. If it's a remake or remaster, then you're right that there would be a lot more work done on the art/graphics.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS