Playing PVE on a PVP game

Who else enjoys playing games that are mainly focused on PVP gameplay, but play it solo or focus on PVE?

Specifically, I really enjoy playing games like Rust, DayZ, and ARK without having to be worried about getting my base raided or getting sent back to the shores of Cherno by bloodthirsty players.

I enjoy the unique player interactions these types games offer, but I also really dislike that a lot of players don’t want to be “respectful” and decide to kill on sight or without any meaningful interaction that leads up to shooting me lol. You are allowed to play these games however you like, there are no strict defining rules on how you must behave in game, but I would personally enjoy it a lot more without all the KoS and raiding away my hours of hard work.

So I’ve been finding some great servers that offer PVE experiences in these games. Specifically one server on DayZ (not sure if I’m allowed to promote the name so I won’t for now) that offers vanilla gameplay PVE ONLY, apart from some small specific zones that have PVP. No matter what KoS is not allowed, and if you engage in PVP in the zones it has have a meaningful interaction that leads up to that point. To me, this is an amazing way to play DayZ.

I don’t have the time or energy anymore to play for 8 hours straight with a group of 8 guys all working together to raid bases or kill noobs because it gave us a sense of being powerful. These days I’m a lot more about being friendly and ensuring the players I interact with are having a good time, and that I’m not doing anything to specifically ruin their enjoyment of the game.

With over 250 hours on DayZ, playing this PVE only server is the most fun I’ve ever had on it. I’m able to focus on surviving against zombies, not worrying if I’m going to get sniped in the back of my head if I run down the streets. I’ve found a broken car and was able to gather the parts and fix it up fully which I have never done on an official server before.

Perhaps I’m in a small minority of gamers that enjoy this, because these games are built on the tense interactions you have with other players. One of DayZ’s defining moments is meeting other players and trying to figure out if you can trust them or not. On the server I play on I’ve only ever met friendly players who are willing to lend a helping hand if needed.

It is refreshing to play these kinds of games without the worries of KoS and enemy players. I just want to have fun, do my own thing, go exploring, and enjoy the game at my own pace.

I haven't played any PvP survival games. I hardly play multiplayer games with random people at all really. Does playing exclusively against bots in Battlefield 2 count?

My friends and I have almost exclusively played cooperatively against AI opponents in RTS games. Even in 4X games or Grand Strategy games we almost always work together (except one friend...). But that's not really PvE either.

PvE is more appealing to me as PVP brings out the worst in me. hell playing L4D competitive matches makes me nervous and hesitant to play as losing is something i really don't like happening. Especially when its a stranger gets one up on me and i have no recourse but to take it. its kinda like being punched in the back of the head by a random stranger and they get away with it.

but i digress, there is some appeal to playing PvE in a PVP game, its kinda goes against the whole game but if the world is fleshed out with lots to see and do, i certainly wouldn't mind it. hell stuff like Hunt: showdown where everyone competes to take down a monster sounds cool, but i prefer again to work with my fellow man to defeat the forces of evil.

Team based PvP is probably the closest i'll ever go to PvP at least i have someone to watch my back and tbh i always play a supporting role and doing the stuff no one wants as its rewarding to watch my team, push forward, grow etc and without getting in too much harms way. Don't want to lead a team though.

I haven't played any PvP survival games. I hardly play multiplayer games with random people at all really. Does playing exclusively against bots in Battlefield 2 count?

My friends and I have almost exclusively played cooperatively against AI opponents in RTS games. Even in 4X games or Grand Strategy games we almost always work together (except one friend...). But that's not really PvE either.
I’m not much of an RTS gamer but once in a long while I’ll hop onto a AoE4 multiplayer game through Game Pass just for giggles. I suck at RTS games but it’s fun to try and see how fast I get destroyed by enemy players while my teammates call me a noob :ROFLMAO:
but i digress, there is some appeal to playing PvE in a PVP game, its kinda goes against the whole game but if the world is fleshed out with lots to see and do, i certainly wouldn't mind it. hell stuff like Hunt: showdown where everyone competes to take down a monster sounds cool, but i prefer again to work with my fellow man to defeat the forces of evil.
There are definitely things in DayZ that are way easier with multiple people, such as building a base. I’ve never played a survival craft game with base building where it’s this difficult to do alone, but I insist on being a lone wolf so a leather tent hidden in the woods is more fitting for my playstyle.
I enjoy PVE games that have world events where everyone gathers to participate. Elder Scrolls Online has fun world bosses where you can meet tons of other players waiting to fight the world boss. Fallout 76 has mostly good world events as well where it’s sometimes more of a mini mission rather than just being world bosses every time, there’s more variety.

Who else enjoys playing games that are mainly focused on PVP gameplay, but play it solo or focus on PVE?

Specifically, I really enjoy playing games like Rust, DayZ, and ARK without having to be worried about getting my base raided or getting sent back to the shores of Cherno by bloodthirsty players.

I enjoy the unique player interactions these types games offer, but I also really dislike that a lot of players don’t want to be “respectful” and decide to kill on sight or without any meaningful interaction that leads up to shooting me lol. You are allowed to play these games however you like, there are no strict defining rules on how you must behave in game, but I would personally enjoy it a lot more without all the KoS and raiding away my hours of hard work.

So I’ve been finding some great servers that offer PVE experiences in these games. Specifically one server on DayZ (not sure if I’m allowed to promote the name so I won’t for now) that offers vanilla gameplay PVE ONLY, apart from some small specific zones that have PVP. No matter what KoS is not allowed, and if you engage in PVP in the zones it has have a meaningful interaction that leads up to that point. To me, this is an amazing way to play DayZ.

I don’t have the time or energy anymore to play for 8 hours straight with a group of 8 guys all working together to raid bases or kill noobs because it gave us a sense of being powerful. These days I’m a lot more about being friendly and ensuring the players I interact with are having a good time, and that I’m not doing anything to specifically ruin their enjoyment of the game.

With over 250 hours on DayZ, playing this PVE only server is the most fun I’ve ever had on it. I’m able to focus on surviving against zombies, not worrying if I’m going to get sniped in the back of my head if I run down the streets. I’ve found a broken car and was able to gather the parts and fix it up fully which I have never done on an official server before.

Perhaps I’m in a small minority of gamers that enjoy this, because these games are built on the tense interactions you have with other players. One of DayZ’s defining moments is meeting other players and trying to figure out if you can trust them or not. On the server I play on I’ve only ever met friendly players who are willing to lend a helping hand if needed.

It is refreshing to play these kinds of games without the worries of KoS and enemy players. I just want to have fun, do my own thing, go exploring, and enjoy the game at my own pace.
Yep. I'm exactly this way. Ark, Atlas and Conan Exiles come to mind, and I didn't start playing World's Adrift regularly until they had a PvE server. Those ships were hard to make, and I didn't want people taking/destroying my hard work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts