Question Pixel Response Time better when picture duplicated onto monitor?

Dec 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi, have a problem or a question. I bought a used Razer Blade with a GTX 2080 MaxQ and a gaming monitor from ASUS (TUF vg34vql1b ultra wide). (Currently connected to each other via HDMI 2.0)

Since I have been using the two devices together, I have noticed that whenever I close the laptop or switch the image transfer from duplicating (i.e. the image is displayed on the laptop and monitor) to display on monitor only, the "pixel response" apparently suffers due to an to me unknown cause, which I clearly notice when, for example, I drag a window back and forth on the desktop picture. Suddenly it is very choppy, so no longer fluid at all.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be. Would love to close the laptop or turn off the screen and still have smooth performance / pixel response / FPS or whatever.
I think that displaying on one display should be less load for the GPU anyway so would love to have that benefit without the choppy performance.

Thank you in advance!

I think that displaying on one display should be less load for the GPU
If your laptop screen isn't switched off, the GPU will have to output 2 diff pics to the 2 screens—which is more load.

If you're also running the monitor at its rated 165Hz, that's a lot of load overall.

Find the way to switch off your laptop screen, that should do the trick.

GTX 2080 MaxQ
Definitely GTX, not RTX?

Dec 28, 2021
Visit site
If your laptop screen isn't switched off, the GPU will have to output 2 diff pics to the 2 screens—which is more load.

If you're also running the monitor at its rated 165Hz, that's a lot of load overall.

Find the way to switch off your laptop screen, that should do the trick.

Definitely GTX, not RTX?

Oh yea, RTX sorry ^^.
And I for turning off the screen I only know the option to just display on the 2nd screen (monitor) or to duplicate and close the laptop. Both of these options definetly bring the problem i mentioned above with it. I dont know any other way to switch off the screen. And I really dont know why it seems to be more problematic having only the monitor on.

I really dont know why it seems to be more problematic having only the monitor on
I'm not a laptop guy, only had one once for a couple of years 7-8 years ago. I used to hook it up to a couple of TVs and switch off its own screen, but I'm afraid I have no recall of how I managed that.

Go into Display Settings and make the big monitor your 'Primary' monitor.
Then try Device Manager, see if you can disable the laptop screen there.

I'm just flailing around here tho, not a laptop guy :)

COLGeek

Dec 28, 2021
Visit site
Well the thing is actually that in only Laptop or duplicated display mode both integrated graphics and GPU seem to be used and in only monitor mode only the GPU is used. So if I select NVIDIA as preferred graphic processor than it should stay the same right?

For now the problem seems to be solved, since i just got my mini Displayport to Displayport cable today to connect my Razer Blade to the monitor. Now the slow pixel response or whatever seems to be no problem anymore even if only displayed on the monitor. Although the integrated graphics still dont seem to be used by the monitor at all. But as long as it stays as smooth as it is now I am content for now.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS