Question Peripherals disconnecting in game (usually CS;GO)

Apr 25, 2023
Visit site
PC Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (Noctua nh-d15 Fan)
GPU: MSI Ventus 3x 3060ti
Motherboard: MSI b450
RAM: 32GB DDR 5 Corsair Vengeance
PSU: Corsair CX 750m
5 Assorted Size Case Fans

Hi guys,

For the last 2 or 3 weeks I have been having an issue where my headset, mouse and keyboard will turn off for a few seconds at a time while I'm playing games. Usually this happens is counter strike after I've been playing for half an hour or so and will happen quite frequently once it begins (every 10 minutes-ish). It has also happened while playing other games but it seems the less demanding the game the less it happens (that said, CS:GO is not a very demanding game either).

To begin with I tried switching the usb ports I was using - I normally use the ones in the motherboard on the back of the pc. I tried different ports on the back and the front but the problem persisted. I then wiped my hard drive and did a clean install of windows and all my drivers just to make sure it wasn't some weird software issue. After that I opened my case, cleaned it out (I clean it regularly anyway) and made sure every connector was connected properly. Since none of this worked I tried using different peripherals (a different keyboard and headset, I don't have another working mouse) and that didn't help. I've tried changing my power plan to high-power mode, and even low-power mode and have tried changing the usb settings so that my system can't turn them off but no mix of these settings makes a difference.

My assumption was that this was a problem with the PSU as it is the oldest component in my pc (I think about 7 years old) but I have been stress testing my pc and so far while using prime95 none of my peripherals have turned off. The CPU temps are good and its running well.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Could this be a problem with the motherboard? Any other tips or advice anyone could give me?

Thanks in advance, please let me know if I've missed off any details.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

An expert will comment soon, but in the meantime:

after I've been playing for half an hour or so and will happen quite frequently once it begins (every 10 minutes-ish). It has also happened while playing other games but it seems the less demanding the game the less it happens
Do you have any app running which kicks into action in those kind of time intervals? Some chat app, or game monitor, or overlay, or reminder which keeps reminding, or…?

Turn off all non-MS apps before starting game.

Unplug any other peripherals before starting game.

These are all USB peripherals, I assume. I'm not familiar with the niceties of the USB Controller system software, but it's worth checking—at least have a peek in Device Manager to see if there are any warning icons.

Apr 25, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

An expert will comment soon, but in the meantime:

Do you have any app running which kicks into action in those kind of time intervals? Some chat app, or game monitor, or overlay, or reminder which keeps reminding, or…?

Turn off all non-MS apps before starting game.

Unplug any other peripherals before starting game.

These are all USB peripherals, I assume. I'm not familiar with the niceties of the USB Controller system software, but it's worth checking—at least have a peek in Device Manager to see if there are any warning icons.

Thanks for your reply,

No the only thing I have usually running in the background while in game is Teamspeak but the issue has occurred when I'm not using it. I will have another look next time I play to double check but this was one of the reasons I wiped my drive.

They are all USB peripherals, I have had a look and nothing stands out. I did try reinstalling the USB controllers but that didn't help either.

Any other ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

I agree with your suspicion of the PSU as often USB and the monitor are first things turned off if power is low. Pc saves power for CPU and ram, Games are when it is under most stress. 7 years is old enough for it to start failing.
Get a new psu, probably fix it.
You have ddr 4 ram as that CPU and motherboard don't work with ddr 5

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023
Visit site
I agree with your suspicion of the PSU as often USB and the monitor are first things turned off if power is low. Pc saves power for CPU and ram, Games are when it is under most stress. 7 years is old enough for it to start failing.
Get a new psu, probably fix it.
You have ddr 4 ram as that CPU and motherboard don't work with ddr 5

Thanks for your reply,
First all yep it is DDR4 must have mistyped in the original post.
Looks like I'll have to replace the PSU and hope that works!

TRENDING THREADS