PC powers on only at repair shop

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
I've Been using a system I built in 2018 for the past 5 years now and it has never given me any issues, however, due to a passing storm over my island (I live in the Caribbean) my computer refuses to turn on anymore. I've opened it up and tested it by removing every component but the CPU, due to it being stuck and not having the tools needed like a heat gun to remove it. However it still doesn't power on, there is a red light on the motherboard's power button but pressing it also does nothing. I ended up taking it to a repair shop on the island (their arent many since its a small island) and it ended up working at the shop right away. Brought it back home and poof nothing. The guy ended up replacing the power supply and sent me back to test it out and still nothing. I called an electrician who tested the house's voltages, ground etc and even tried installing a new transformer and nothing changed. I even brought a UPS from work and it still failed to power the system yet for some odd reason it powers up at the technician's building and not any other place (I've also tested other buildings with no luck). Could this be a motherboard issue? I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy an AM4 Motherboard online since apparently no store or even the IT technicians have one to swap and test it with.

My specs are as follows;

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (I know its a bottleneck)
Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
MSI RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card
Corsair RM750x (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from the unhelpful "I've tried almost everything on my Setup and nothing works.".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brian Boru
I've opened it up and tested it by removing every component but the CPU, due to it being stuck and not having the tools needed like a heat gun to remove it.
cpu shouldn't need a heat gun to remove??

it shouldn't be stuck either.

thats an interesting problem, a PC that only starts at the repair guys building, how many other buildings did you try?

I wonder what Tom's would say about that one myself.

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
Update: Alright my technician came and dropped off the PC at my house along with a UPS he said worked fine when he was testing it at the shop, and he told me to try and power the PC with it. I plugged it into the ups and boom it turned on as if it wasn't giving me an issue for the past 2 weeks. Plugged in the ups to the outlet and it still worked fine. Turned it back off and plugged the computer directly into the wall socket and it worked fine. I ended up showing the technician and even he was confused because he came to my house previously with the system and it really wouldn't take power from my house. He said the only thing he did was remove the new PSU and put it back in the old one. I tried turning it off and back on multiple times with no issues. However, even though it's working now I think I'm gonna still order a backup board for when this problem arises since every other component worked fine during the original problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts