Question Pc keeps locking up then monitors stop displaying

Mar 30, 2021
Visit site
My pc seems to lock up and then my monitors stop displaying, the pc doesn't seem to shut down completely just the displays turn off and i can hear in the game in the background frozen. I bought another monitor yesterday and it seems to have been doing it more which leads me to think its the PSU. If anyone at all has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI Geforce GTX 1660 TI OC
B450 Aorus Elite
Corsair CX750W bronze
Samsung 860 EVO 500gb
Samsung 970 EVO 1tb

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Well if it was the PSU I would expect the system to be shutting off and/or rebooting. How old is your CX750W? And how old is the GTX 1660 Ti?

I would probably investigate the GPU first. Do the displays ever reconnect to a signal or do you have to power down / reboot the system once the displays cut out?

Mar 30, 2021
Visit site
i built my pc about 13 months ago with all new parts.
the displays don't reconnect without powering off the system.
i cant seem to recreate the crash. sometimes it does it 10mins into playing games other times its an hour and sometimes it will run for days without a crash. really hoping its not a problem with hardware seeing how new it is

Is it one game causes the problem, a particular type or genre, or all games?

How many monitors have you attached, and what resolution are they?

Since you're a builder, I assume you reseated the monitor-to-PC cables?
Are the connections HDMI to HDMI, or…?
sometimes it does it 10mins into playing games other times its an hour and sometimes it will run for days
That suggests it depends on the load you're putting on, probably on the GPU or PSU—heavy load crashes quickly, light lasts days. 750W PSU should be plenty though, unless you have a bunch of heavy peripherals drawing on it.

What's your electricity supply like? Dirty or clean?

Mar 30, 2021
Visit site
Is it one game causes the problem, a particular type or genre, or all games?

How many monitors have you attached, and what resolution are they?

Since you're a builder, I assume you reseated the monitor-to-PC cables?
Are the connections HDMI to HDMI, or…?

That suggests it depends on the load you're putting on, probably on the GPU or PSU—heavy load crashes quickly, light lasts days. 750W PSU should be plenty though, unless you have a bunch of heavy peripherals drawing on it.

it crashes sometimes when im just watching youtube and when nothing is open aswell not just when games are open.

i have 2 monitors. I only got this second one like a week ago and I was experiencing more crashes while youtube was open with the one monitor and now it's only crashing while playing games.

Psu is clean enough, I try to clean the system every couple months

Psu is clean enough
I meant your mains electricity, from your utility company. Some places the supply can be uneven, or have momentary drops, which can affect your PC and other appliances.

Assuming you've checked the cables, and are not running both monitors at 4K, I'm out of ideas. It shouldn't be your PSU or GPU—unless of course they're faulty—since the problem existed with only one monitor. 1660Ti is a decent card, I run 2 1080p TVs as monitors here off a 1060.

Mar 30, 2021
Visit site
I meant your mains electricity, from your utility company. Some places the supply can be uneven, or have momentary drops, which can affect your PC and other appliances.

Assuming you've checked the cables, and are not running both monitors at 4K, I'm out of ideas. It shouldn't be your PSU or GPU—unless of course they're faulty—since the problem existed with only one monitor. 1660Ti is a decent card, I run 2 1080p TVs as monitors here off a 1060.
oh okay, how would one check that? it could be that. i haven't had any issues for a day or two

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I can't say for sure but your system is similar to mine, and I had a similar problem last year. Turned out that the brand new RX590 Fatboy was to blame. I couldn't afford to swap out GFX cards to diagnose, so went all round the houses with the good folks here. In the end the brand new GFX card was the only variable. I swapped it out for a brand new GTX1660. No more problems.
Do you have a comparable GFX card you can use?

Reactions: Brian Boru