PC cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasted007

BANNED
Dec 29, 2022
Visit site
Banned—do not copy other people's posts and pretend they're your own.
I have this problem in my mind, i have been cleaning my pc like once a week. It is not a deep clean. I just clean the fans with a tissue that's it.
Does it make any difference or should I just deep clean the whole pc once every 2 years by taking it to a pc cleaning place??

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "Pc virus cleaning,".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why you put the word virus in your thread but heres some tips for you

With regards to pc protection i dont have widows defender running in the background but i do use it once a week. I used to reboot my pc to a never used state once a year but several years ago i could not re-install some disc based games because the piracy check systems were saying they were already in use ..... yes they were by me !!!

If you are refering to cleaning as in dust then use something called an air duster its air in a can. Turn pc off and remove the side panel. VERY IMPORTANT ...... keep the can vertical at all times or the propellant will squirt out. Get the cold air version and only use in short bursts because the can will suddenly become very cold and burn your fingers.

If you think you have a problem then work your way through the list below.

1. run dxdiag
2. run windows memory test , it will tell you if ram is faulty but not which stick
3. check device manager for any yellow triangles.
4. use task manager to see what is running in background.
5. look in add/remove for anything you dont recognise.
6 look in reliability monitor and google any errors.
7. run scans with malware bytes , anti virus and widows defender , all 3 look for different things.
8.keep all drivers up to date.

NOTE ... if malwarebytes finds anything , quarentine and delete it and run scan again till it finds nothing , the is necessary because malware stuff can be in several segments and malwarebytes does not always get rid of things on first scan

I have this problem in my mind, i have been cleaning my pc like once a week. It is not a deep clean. I just clean the fans with a tissue that's it.
Does it make any difference or should I just deep clean the whole pc once every 2 years by taking it to a pc cleaning place??
Welcome :)

Cleaning the fans with a tissue wont do very much, but its good to clean the case and heatsinks out every now and then. You should be able to remove the graphics card fully from the case quite easily and blow out the heatsink with canned air like MJS suggests, or a Datavac or similar.

Whether your CPU cooler is an air or water cooler its good to blow it out occasionally as well. You can do that in place, but every so often remove the whole thing and blow it out fully. You'd need to remount the cooler after so that would require thermal paste for the CPU. Guides are easy to find online for that.

How often depends on your local and home environment, if you have pets or smoke in the house obviously it will need doing more. Just have a look inside the case every now and then and if it looks very dusty then give it a clean.

Last edited:
Thread locked and OP banned. OP is a verbatim copy of this thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS