PC accessories must have - Linux accessory accessible

Hello

I am currently in the process of ordering my first parts for my first pc build. I am now looking at what accessories I need and you recommend for me to have, for my new PC which will run windows in December 2020 and linux from scratch and run as a parallel system.

My PC spec which I am building is in my signature as will be my planned to buy and bought accessories in my signature

Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
A mechanical keyboard is always a good choice, albeit an expensive one. Mechanical keyboards last longer than typical keyboards, can be far more comfortable & satisfying to use, and come in various types for different preferences -- mostly based on the type of key switches they use.

Some offer extremely smooth keypresses with little to no physical, tactile sensation when the keypress registers. Others have very pronounced tactile feedback when a key is pressed. It runs the gamut.

It's subjective which is best for you. I strongly advise you to go to a store in person with keyboards for sale; try the various switches for yourself -- not right now, but in the future when the whole global situation normalizes.

From my personal experience, I've learned I really don't like the smooth keypresses provided by switches like the Cherry MX Red. It makes typing a pain -- way too many keys accidentally pressed -- and even in video games I frequently hit keys I don't want to, leading to all manner of mishaps.

The reasoning behind smooth key switches is that you can send input to the computer faster and thus respond to fast-paced games faster. They're also comfortable to use and much quieter than other mechanical switches. If you ask me, though, it's not worth the loss of precision. Your mileage will vary, though.

Right now I'm using a Razer Ornata Chroma -- essentially a souped-up non-mechanical keyboard. The key switches are (supposedly) engineered to last a lot longer than other non-mechanical switches, and they've been augmented with some hardware to replicate the sensation of a clacky, tactile keyboard.

I've had this keyboard for around a year -- come to think of it, maybe two years -- and it's really nice. No complaints this far in, although I expect its total lifespan's a lot shorter than a true mechanical keyboard.

I suppose the true mechanical counterpart to this sort of key switch goodness would be the Cherry MX Blue, with the Cherry MX Brown not being a million miles from it either.

Lastly, keyboard backlighting. Some keyboards will have no backlight, others only have a single backlight color they can use, and nicer/more expensive ones have customizable per-key backlights.

I have mine programmed to always use a bright, flat white backlight with a brief flash of red appearing on every key I press. It's a setup that I've come to love.

This part is very subjective, but if the room your PC's going to be in is frequently dark or dim, a backlight can be an excellent feature.