Question Overclocking my i5-4690K

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys, so I want to get a bit more performance from my cpu as I feel it is bottlenecking my 1660 super. I do eventually want to upgrade my motherboard, cpu and ram as I am still on ddr3 but for now I would just like to upgrade my cpu cooler (I am still using stock Intel cooler and I would also like to keep using the new cooler when I eventually upgrade my cpu) and get my cpu to at least 4.2 ghz. Would something like the Cooler Master Hyper H412R CPU Cooler be sufficient for this keeping in mind I would like to keep my Temps under 80°C. Thanks guys

May 26, 2020
Visit site
with a base clock of 3.5 and it should be able to overclock to 3.9 with the stock cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper H412R CPU would most likely be good enough for overclocking, i'm not sure if you will hit the 4.2 stable but the 4 ghz should be doable. but your ddr3 ram might be the real bottleneck in gaming.

May 29, 2020
Visit site
The H412R was just one of the ones I was looking at, if you have better options in the same price range, suggestions would be much appreciated. I assumed it was the cpu because when I use HRMonitor while playing some games (normally large map games like gta 5 and ghost recon wildlands, both of which I play on high settings, not ultra) I get random frame drops below 60 and the cpu usage always reaches 100%. I have checked to make sure nothing else is running in the background. Am I right in assuming the 1660 super should be able to handle those perfectly fine? I will let you know the exact spec when I get home but this is what I have for now:
i5-4690K
8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz C10 (I added another 8 gb but its not the same one, I understand that it is preferred to have the exact same ones but this is what I have to work with for now)
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 mobo
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super
Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower
Thermaltake Litepower 650W
I am using 7 case fans so airflow should be more than sufficient
Thanks

Reactions: Oussebon

Zoid

Community Contributor
The H412R was just one of the ones I was looking at, if you have better options in the same price range, suggestions would be much appreciated. I assumed it was the cpu because when I use HRMonitor while playing some games (normally large map games like gta 5 and ghost recon wildlands, both of which I play on high settings, not ultra) I get random frame drops below 60 and the cpu usage always reaches 100%. I have checked to make sure nothing else is running in the background. Am I right in assuming the 1660 super should be able to handle those perfectly fine? I will let you know the exact spec when I get home but this is what I have for now:
i5-4690K
8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz C10 (I added another 8 gb but its not the same one, I understand that it is preferred to have the exact same ones but this is what I have to work with for now)
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 mobo
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super
Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower
Thermaltake Litepower 650W
I am using 7 case fans so airflow should be more than sufficient
Thanks
I think wanting some more performance out of your i5-4690K is reasonable, we just wanted to make sure that we had some evidence that it is indeed a source of limitation. You could always try playing those games at a lower resolution or lower settings to take the load off the GPU and see if you still experience the frame drops.

I have an i5-4690K in my old gaming rig, and was using it combined with a GTX 1070 (similar to the 1660 Super) for a while. There were definitely some games where the i5 was holding me back.

Let me first address the question in your first post: Yes, the Cooler Master Hyper 412r should be fine for a mild to moderate OC on an i5-4690K. I had mine OC'd at a stable 4.5GHz on the similar Hyper 212 Evo and was only hitting 80°C in 100% load torture testing.

The Hyper 412r is a good value cooler with support for pretty much any socket, but before you decide to buy it with the goal to take it with you into your next build, you should give some thought to what kind of CPU you would be upgrading to. For instance, if you think you're likely to upgrade to something like an i7-10700K or a Ryzen 7-3700X then a Hyper 412r might leave you wanting under heavy load.

Reactions: Oussebon
May 29, 2020
Visit site
Thank you very much. I'll keep that in mind. I am very glad to hear that I will be able to get some more from my cpu but also mad at myself for not doing it sooner.

Indeed, it's possible that the CPU could be holding you back, but it would be worth checking first. In addition to the advice above, I'd use MSI Afterburner to review per-core CPU usage using the on-screen display it features.

If it is related to CPU usage, you'd also want to be fairly confident that a) an overclock would help and b) that it wasn't some other software eating CPU cycles causing the drops.

The H412R is not the cooler I would choose, however. Its 'thing' is that it is small, and so can fit in smaller cases. But it has a relatively low (100W) TDP as a result. Something like the Hyper 212x would offer more cooling performance for a similar price, sporting a 150W TDP, and easily fit in your large case. Letting you push the OC further or keep temps lower.

May 29, 2020
Visit site
I would not even have thought of that but like I said I haven't worked with cpu coolers much, I would definitely like to take advantage of the larger clearance the 750D offers. I have made sure that is no other software running while I play games. I will try using msi afterburner as suggested.

Wow, they really are having stock issues. Pandemic + a smaller market than US/EU/Asia etc perhaps. Though lots of places are having stock issues for all sorts of things here too (UK) especially PSUs and monitors.

Apparently the Antec C400 does alright:

Same ballpark for performance as a Hyper 212 Evo / LED etc. Seemed to just pip it, actually. And similar price.

Reactions: Zoid
The ~R800 Deepcool Gammaxx GT seems a bit better still if you wanted to spend a touch more and/or preferred the aesthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS