Oldest part of your PC that you still use today?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
That would be my Western Digital HDD from 2004. It is my main drive but for Christmas I got a 970 Evo. The only problem is that my motherboard is too old (2013) to have an M.2 slot and the BIOS doesn't support it either which means I can't use it as my boot drive. My monitor is a 22" Dell from 2009 and my graphics card is a GTX 760 released in 2013 I believe. So you could say my PC isn't really up-to-date but it's still going strong and I'm trying to the best of my ability to save up for a new one.

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
I can show you guys how to run rust with a gt 520m graphic cards xD you just need some magic and a bit of luck :D. I have an msi CX480 notebook i fell in love with this laptop 10 years ago i cannot betray it, but now its time for a new pc and a new love xDD im sick playing rust and other games under 20 fps xD

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
Well... My whole build is old as hell, I'm rocking an Intel core 2 quad Q6600, an AMD HD 5670, on a Gigabyte P35-DS3L and 8 gigs of DDR2 RAM. We built this PC back in like 2013 and hardware is really expensive and really hard to come by in my country so all these parts were already used. But on the positive side, using this PC is really a great learning experience. I was around 13 or 14 at the time of building and I knew the hardware was so old, so I learned how to overclock these components and it give me a deeper understanding of all the graphics options and how they affect performance. Also it taught me how to be patient af.

Reactions: Zoid
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Technica(read Tesco's own brand) 2.1 speakers with sub-woofer. Had them since getting a new PC when Windows XP came out back in '01. Been used on at least 4 PC's since then, still working fine. The two satellite speakers sit on the desk and look OK, but the sub-woofer sits under my desk and has doubled in weight due to the dust on it, lol.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I actually forgot I have my old Laptop (which might not be an "old PC part" but it's from 2008 :p. It has a Duo Core Intel CPU and all I remember is that it has a vram of 256mb, and 4gb of RAM but I can't remember the timings. Been ages since I had it turned on and nowadays it take 3 days to boot anyway.

My Corsair HX1000W modular which has been in use 24/7/365 since 2009, and it's kinda freaking me out. This thing works so good and is so silent and the fans are working perfectly, but is this a fire hazard just waiting to happen? Never any coil whine either.

Usually I'll dust it out once or twice a year, absolutely love it.

i7-920
i7-3930K
i7-6700K
i9-9900K

Have all served me well under this same power supply.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I've got an Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition from 2011, and the Intel extreme motherboard to match. They're engineering samples, or early-released promo items from Intel, and at the time they were volcanic, uber-scary bleeding edge.

The rad thing is that with a GTX1080 plugged into it, it still rocks games and Oculus and everthing totally well!

Who knew 9 years later the guts of my PC would still be going strong!

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Oldest part of my gear is my Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 surround speakers from 2002 (if I remember correctly). Currently only using as 2.1 due to space restrictions. The PC I built in 2013 which is now struggling a bit with the games I enjoy.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Not counting the PC Speakers from Logitech which must have been bought in about 2002, my entire PC was bought in 2008.
i5 3500
NVidia 9800GT
Kingston DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
Seagate and Samsung HDD
Samsung DVD ROM

That said, I had to upgrade the PSU and GFX last week, but I could happily rebuild it and head back to HL2 or RFactor2 right now.

How's that for old, grey hair?

if i had answered a few years ago it would have been my Logitech 5500 5.1 speakers that were part of the furniture around my room, had used them for about 15 years. I was sad when they died :(

Now, I guess its my PC as peripherals and screen are newer. So PC is from 2015. Not all that old but previous PC had lasted me 8 or so years.

My oldest computer part I still have is a piece of a computer made in 1965 that was used in a Space tracking station used during the Apollo missions. It was only a circuit board of a mainframe I assume. Made by Texas Instruments, in Nov 1965

Image1
Image2

Last edited:
Reactions: OsaX Nymloth

TRENDING THREADS