Oldest part of your PC that you still use today?

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
I'm using a logitech MX-518 which I bought back in 2007. I told myself back then that this would be the last mouse I'll ever buy and here we are 13 years later :LOL:

But enough about me, I want to here from you!

Tell me and this awesome community: "What is the oldest piece of hardware that you're still rocking today?" Could be the case, inside the case, or a
peripheral. Let me know in the comment section below!

Until very recently, it was the logitech G15 keytboard. had been using it for over a decade and i only swapped it out for a another one with cherry mx keys. part of the reason was because the enter key was coming loose but still functioned. Plus the keyboard was for 44.99 and for cherry mx brown keys that was a decent price to give it a go.

I haven't gotten rid of the old G15, its been with me for far too long so i might keep it as a spare or as my work keyboard. That said, i use a cherry red keyboard at work, but i just can't bear to part with my old war horse...

Besides that, my roccat kone v2. it cost me £35 off ebay and i've been uising it since modern warfare 2 came out (so 2010 ish?) Still going strong and haven't really swapped it out tbh. It still works is the main reason. I would like to swap it out, but nothing seems to appeal. The Razor Deathadder elite 2 is a possible choice, but i don't think its going to give me much of an edge in gaming nor enrich my current pc experience.

Reactions: Zoid and JC Denton
I had the same Lite-On DVD/RW drive for over a decade. When it started acting up it lost its place in my latest build, and actually wasn't replaced. I don't have an disc drive in my PC currently, but as all my optical media is in storage and I keep a windows 10 install USB on hand it hasn't been an issue so far.

Reactions: Zoid

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Thew oldest piece of hardware I still use woud probably be my old Asus Xonar DX that I used in my old PC (5-6 years) and use now (5 years). And damn I am glad it still works. One of my HDD is also quite old, but can't remember how old exactly.

There's also this old PC with AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition (965? Can't remember) with similarly old guts, that my parents use. Just changed HDD to SSD a couple of years later and it still works quite decently.

By far the oldest thing I have in use is the 120GB Samsung 830 that's still my boot drive bought in 2012.

That will be gone next year though as decent 1TB NVME drives are now around the price where I dont mind upgrading to them. although I doubt for my uses it will make a tangible difference.

Reactions: Sarafan
At this point my oldest items are my trend-defying optical drives that I refuse to give up. One is a BD-ROM drive from roughly 2009 (which has mostly been rendered useless since Windows has never included native Blu-Ray playback support and the software I previously used doesn't like Windows 10, or vice-versa), and the other is a dual-layer DVD burner from... 2005, I think? And I only ever burned one dual-layer disc successfully. Moral of my story: Early hardware adoption is overrated.

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
My monitor is more than 10 years old (maybe 12-13), it is Lenovo L220X. It was good many years ago but it has more and more issues...
Well, the xase (Antec Sonata III 500) is about the same age as far as I can remember.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
By far the oldest thing I have in use is the 120GB Samsung 830 that's still my boot drive bought in 2012.

Hey, I have the same drive in my PC! I also bought it in 2012, but forgot to include it in my post. It still works like a charm after all those years. Samsung SSDs are well known for their quality. In 2012 SSD technology was still quite young and cheaper models were not as reliable. The 830 series from Samsung provided a good balance between price and reliability. It was one of the best computer parts purchase I've made in history! Now I'm also using a Samsung 860 EVO 256 GB and I have high hopes for its durability as well.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Hey, I have the same drive in my PC! I also bought it in 2012, but forgot to include it in my post. It still works like a charm after all those years. Samsung SSDs are well known for their quality. In 2012 SSD technology was still quite young and cheaper models were not as reliable. The 830 series from Samsung provided a good balance between price and reliability. It was one of the best computer parts purchase I've made in history! Now I'm also using a Samsung 860 EVO 256 GB and I have high hopes for its durability as well.
IIRC at the time the 830 was the last non pro Samsung drive to use MLC flash instead of cheaper TLC which has a lower endurance. TBH for my uses it might not have made much difference but I suppose its still going today and reports as very healthy so who knows.

Reactions: Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
IIRC at the time the 830 was the last non pro Samsung drive to use MLC flash instead of cheaper TLC which has a lower endurance. TBH for my uses it might not have made much difference but I suppose its still going today and reports as very healthy so who knows.

I don't think that the flash memory type change makes a difference for standard users. If you don't load your drive in enormous ways you should be fine.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

Apollo

King Kong
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I'm using a logitech MX-518 which I bought back in 2007. I told myself back then that this would be the last mouse I'll ever buy and here we are 13 years later

But enough about me, I want to here from you!

Tell me and this awesome community: "What is the oldest piece of hardware that you're still rocking today?" Could be the case, inside the case, or a
peripheral. Let me know in the comment section below!
Being honest, the whole thing. But realistically, probably the IGPU, it's HD 2000.

Zoid

Community Contributor
My oldest peripherals are my decade-old wireless mouse and keyboard. I think more and more that I'd like to replace them with something newer (and hopefully with better range), but then I look at mouse and keyboard prices and convince myself that what I have still works fine.

My PC audio setup has some years behind it as well. The oldest components are my Yamaha receiver and my subwoofer which are both 8 years old now.

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
My second hard drive is really old. I keep telling myself I need to back that stuff up before the inevitable happens... yes, I lost all the files on my previous hard drive. <adds note to calendar for this week>
My RAM is pretty old too, it has outlived two motherboards and video cards. I am actually surprised by how few things I've had to replace over the last 6 years that I've had this system.

Reactions: Rensje

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I think the oldest part of my pc is an HDD as well. Not sure how old it is, I think it's from 2011. I don't' have anything on it backed up lol. It's divided into 2 sections, I have movies on 1, the other one has games I think. Oh andd that one has other backups which I think I should backup.

So far I've had only 1 HDD dying and somehow the sata data cable melted. I think that HDD wasn't good anymore.

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
I'm still rocking my intel i3 3220 with the amd HD 7750 from 2012, it is pretty old but with a lot of patience and love it somehow works :D..
I still won't update it till the next year when I finish my University, so let the odds be on my side 😅✌️

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
Well...

NOT quite my PC....BUT!

I recently upgraded my rig and cannibalised my old PC to give my Dad’s a boost!

I still consider myself a novice builder but built him a PC on an A10 5800k years ago. I had a Xeon E3 1230 V2 and HD 7850....He LOVES it!

A retired policeman playing World of Tanks. The Old Man bought his own head gear and does ‘team speak’ with his little band of Merry Men team from around the world!

I miss my old E3. What a chip! That Little Intel That Could :)

Little does he know his wife (my mum/mom) ordered me to upgrade his PC so tomorrow my dear old unsuspecting dad will be getting a full-works upgrade while he is at work! (Confusing I know! He does part time work now).

Tomorrow (14th Feb 2020) he will go from a 2/4 Core to a 6/12 Core. 8gb 1600 DDR3 to 16gb 3000 DDR4.

So it’s a swan song for the AMD A10 and the Intel E3. Both served us well. AND, in terms of sustainability, the shared hardware has helped to reduce impacts on the environment

BUT...

Viva la Upgrade!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS