Old ssd with Windows installed that I want to insert into my new PC

Dec 3, 2022
Visit site
Well, don't know much about computers but want to put my old memory into my new computer because of stored things I can't access. Don't know if it's just to insert my old ssd in the computer and everything works as it should or if something will go wrong. Read that it can be wrong if you have Windows installed on 2 different memories in the same computer. Anyone with knowledge that can help?

You can stick it in, but it's not always that simple. You want to keep your current HD plugged in where it's at that's for sure.

Might have to change the boot order somehow if it doesn't boot up after putting it in to make sure your main HD is the one it's kicking up off of. I had that happen before.

But I will say when you say memories, it sounds like you're talking more about ram then an hd.

Dec 3, 2022
Visit site
You can stick it in, but it's not always that simple. You want to keep your current HD plugged in where it's at that's for sure.

Might have to change the boot order somehow if it doesn't boot up after putting it in to make sure your main HD is the one it's kicking up off of. I had that happen before.

But I will say when you say memories, it sounds like you're talking more about ram then an hd.
Okey so the worst that can happen is that i have to find and change the ssd that my computer should be running on? If it all works fine, can i then delete all of the windows things on my old ssd and il still work fine? logically that should be ok but i'm asking you. Since you said you had experience with what i'm exactly looking to do.

I have installed two hard drives that were old ones that had windows on it. You can delete the windows folder and non essential stuff. It worked for me, but the other time I did that on another hd. I copied everything I wanted off of it and then reformatted. Reformatting is usually better to do, but you can just erase stuff on the HD that will be secondary. Just reformatting is usually better as said.

Dec 3, 2022
Visit site
Thread title says SSD, thread's initial post says memory, they are not the same thing. Might want to also include the specs to your build, both old and new to see if things can be salvaged from the old onto the new.
I translated it from another language so maybe that's why. What? Are hard drives not compatable with some specs? it's a ssd i guess every pc can have it, are specs even worth mentioning.

Dec 3, 2022
Visit site
I have installed two hard drives that were old ones that had windows on it. You can delete the windows folder and non essential stuff. It worked for me, but the other time I did that on another hd. I copied everything I wanted off of it and then reformatted. Reformatting is usually better to do, but you can just erase stuff on the HD that will be secondary. Just reformatting is usually better as said.
Okey ty for the tip. So did you get lucky or is it not a problem to connect another hd with windows on it? I guess it could be individually but that seems illogical.

it can be wrong if you have Windows installed on 2 different memories in the same computer
Avoid doing that—it can't help, and may well cause problems since you're not familiar with making it work.

Trying to interpret your setup, is this correct?
♣ You have a new PC with Windows already installed and working;
♦ You have a SSD from an old machine which also has Windows on it;
♥ You don't plan to use the old PC anymore.

If that's your situation:
♣ Delete Windows from the old SSD—format is best, but delete will work;
♦ Note that format will erase everything on the old SSD, so if you have personal data—images, documents etc—you need to copy that elsewhere first;
♥ Windows installs a lot more than just the Windows folder, so deleting rather than formatting will still leave a lot of useless stuff behind—but it shouldn't cause any problem other than wasted space;
♠ Install the old SSD in new PC and use it to store personal data and games.

Reactions: Lutfij
Dec 3, 2022
Visit site
Avoid doing that—it can't help, and may well cause problems since you're not familiar with making it work.

Trying to interpret your setup, is this correct?
♣ You have a new PC with Windows already installed and working;
♦ You have a SSD from an old machine which also has Windows on it;
♥ You don't plan to use the old PC anymore.

If that's your situation:
♣ Delete Windows from the old SSD—format is best, but delete will work;
♦ Note that format will erase everything on the old SSD, so if you have personal data—images, documents etc—you need to copy that elsewhere first;
♥ Windows installs a lot more than just the Windows folder, so deleting rather than formatting will still leave a lot of useless stuff behind—but it shouldn't cause any problem other than wasted space;
♠ Install the old SSD in new PC and use it to store personal data and games.
Everything is correct except that i threw away my old PC but i have the ssd left by itself, so i can’t really delete anything on it if i don’t connect it to a PC. Which is what i’m afraid of will ruin my new pc is i put in my old ssd that was my main on my old pc with window and everything installed.

i’m afraid of will ruin my new pc is i put in my old ssd
That is very unlikely if you just add the old SSD, boot up, and immediately format or delete the old SSD. It's only a possible concern if you leave it installed for a long time with a fully functioning Windows.

If you have a backup drive, make an disk image of your new PC system drive—then you have a quick recovery if anything goes wrong. Guide in my sig.

Dec 3, 2022
Visit site
That is very unlikely if you just add the old SSD, boot up, and immediately format or delete the old SSD. It's only a possible concern if you leave it installed for a long time with a fully functioning Windows.

If you have a backup drive, make an disk image of your new PC system drive—then you have a quick recovery if anything goes wrong. Guide in my sig.
Okey, so if i add my old ssd to my pc and copy everything i wanted from it to my new ssd and just let it sit without formatting it that can cause issues? but if i copy and format it then there will be no issues?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 3, 2022
Visit site
putting the old ssd into a new PC won't ruin it as its unlikely the PC will try to run it.
you should be fine. I would copy anything off the old one once its in the PC and we can show you how to remove windows from it, or wipe it completely
Okey, so from what everyone here has said it won't be a problem to just add my ssd and then after i have gotten the things i wanted from it i can choose either to format it or let it be? if i have understood correctly

The ideal situation would be to wipe it once you copied anything off it. The PC shouldn't see it as a boot device but weirder things have happened. Removing windows stops you randomly logging into a windows that looks old.

Once you ready to wipe it:

You can't do it from inside windows but you can do it from outside of windows

open start
go to power menu
while holding shift, click restart button

windows will restart in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

restart PC. You will need to use disk management to format drive so windows can see it.

Reactions: Brian Boru
if i have understood correctly
You have understood correctly :)

After copying your data to new SSD, you should delete everything on it, or preferably format it. You can do that as Colif suggested above,

ETA: below is bad advice, ignore!

or via Windows Disk Management.

gjoZZ5K.png

5jlGCSs.png

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS