Oculus Quest VR headsets to eliminate mandatory Facebook account log-in requirement (PC Gamer article)

This is great news. It's off-topic so I won't list my top 3047 reasons I hate Facebook, but this should erase a barrier that a lot of people had to buying this headset.

If you are unaware, the Oculus Quest is a standalone, untethered (no cables) headset that you can also connect to your PC (for playing PC VR games or whatever you want to do). As such, it is completely replacing the Oculus Rift. It's a very good headset, and at $299, it's almost certainly the best way to get into VR on a budget.

I'm probably going to drag mine out of the closet this weekend and play some RE4 on it. Can't wait to see that in VR.

I used to use my headset all the time, but got to a point where I had played every VR game that I wanted to play. So now that some time has passed, I'm looking forward to seeing what is new (other than RE4).

Last edited:
I read that article today, and it could potentially be great news for those of us who dislike Facebook, or I should say Meta now I guess.

I've been considering buying a VR headset for awhile now, as I really, really want to play Half Life Alyx. Not only does it look like a great game in the Half Life world, but my gut feeling is that it's leading up to the eventual release of a true Half Life 3. There was also the thought of playing Skyrim VR & Fallout 4 VR.

The Oculus Quest seemed like a great entry point into VR when it was first announced: great features and a very reasonable price. But then I saw the Facebook requirement, and there was no way I was going to be handcuffed to that (I have my own 3047 or so reasons to hate FB, which maybe similar to yours, Zed). I looked at the Valve Index, which looks fantastic, but there's no way I'd spend $1000 on it (at least not having experienced VR yet).

So, yeah, I'm interested, and I might take the plunge into VR, if. If the Oculus Quest is actually free from all restrictions. I don't really trust what Zuckerberg says on face value, and that he won't shackle us with some other obscure restrictions on VR use. If I can just buy it and use it without any restrictions or associations with his "metaverse" bs, then I might just do it. I'm definitely watching.

San Andreas VR could be great. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the 'premium' headset that I think is coming out next year. VR is good, but I get motion sickness on Skyrim VR and the current resolution isn't amazing for watching films etc. It works OK, but I think I'd pay extra for higher res.

San Andreas VR could be great. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the 'premium' headset that I think is coming out next year. VR is good, but I get motion sickness on Skyrim VR and the current resolution isn't amazing for watching films etc. It works OK, but I think I'd pay extra for higher res.

OK, I got very tempted after the last series of threads and got a Quest 2. Ignore what I said about watching movies, it looks very clear this time around. I think it might be because this sits on my head a lot better than the last time I tried VR.

Edit: Although apparently Netflix will only run at 480p. I've yet to try that out.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS