October 2024 PCG Article Discussion Thread

games industry is undergoing a 'generational change,' says Epic CEO Tim Sweeney

'Dungeon crawler' enters the Merriam-Webster dictionary

Woohoo, fewer typo warnings in RPG forum!

Metaverse talk... what year is it again? NFT/Metaverse trying to come back?

Just like before, they all want to start the first one but no one wants to share.

took how long to get Dungeon Crawler in? And yet its just part of other games. Diablo is a dungeon crawler but not all the time. Wizardry is a dungeon crawler... nice, so a game from 1982 is finally recognised in Dictionary.... so all the modern genre only have to wait 42 years?

a game from 1982 is finally recognised

Lucky to get in anytime, given its association with RPG—clearly Merriam-Webster are feeling the pressure and are now bottom-of-barrel crawling!

Metaverse talk... what year is it again?

Don't get hung up on the term or one particular implementation or other. He's talking about the phenomenon, whatever label you want for it. 'Metaverse' as a term is a distraction from FB, what it represents has existed for a couple of decades.

its a stretch saying its a word... its two words. Same with touch grass. Some of them are far worse... 3 words said in order= one word?? When do we stop putting the space between them?
Have they redefined Dictionary? I mean, they could... its a "Book for whatever we decide"

I know language is not set in stone, and someone has to do it... but it shouldn't be a business trying to justify its existance.

Last edited:

What we're seeing is a real trend where players are gravitating toward the really big games where they can play with more of their friends.

I feel like this isn't new. Game companies have been trying to lock players into their live service models for years now and most of them have faded in obscurity. I mean, WoW released 20 years ago and other companies have been trying to replicate its success for almost as long, usually without success.

That is true, article is just a sales pitch for Fortnite really
Live Service games aren't selling as well as they wish.

Honestly, I don't want to play games I can't pause.
I don't want to play multi player games most of the time.
Its over a year since I last had too. Diablo 4. Ignoring expansion for first time in.... two decades?

live service single player games only benefit the company who made them. It just lets them attach a shop... I much prefer past where all the cool designs in game were drops/things you could make in game... not extras on a shop. Selling costumes in a single player game is greedy.

I think we are at or near the limit for live service games. I mean there are only so many people with so much time to play them. We've seen a number of recent games fail spectacularly because they've tried to compete with established games.

I'm ok spending a bit of time playing PoE and Diablo 4 but more of my time is spent on single player games, a lot of which are indie/smaller studio produced. I would far rather support these that some huge company churning out the same old AAA games.

Lets not forget were taking talking points (sweeney) from someone whos company fired over 800 workers to come out and say that his company "is now financially sound". Yea on the backs of these workers who are now out of a job and scrambling while your bankroll gets fatter.

I think we are at or near the limit for live service games. I mean there are only so many people with so much time to play them. We've seen a number of recent games fail spectacularly because they've tried to compete with established games.

I'm ok spending a bit of time playing PoE and Diablo 4 but more of my time is spent on single player games, a lot of which are indie/smaller studio produced. I would far rather support these that some huge company churning out the same old AAA games.

As long as somethin like Fortnite exists, there will always be studios who want to capture that success, hence why there is so many failures. We def. have enough already but its a genre that i feel will not personally die out any time soon esp. with the handful of live service games set to come out.

There can only be one Fortnite. But there can be many Baldurs Gate 3's, Black Myth Wukongs, Elden Rings, etc etc. You cant talk about gaming as if its homogenous, its like saying all sports fans are the same market. Theres crossover in places but the Figure skating people dont usually hang around with the MMA crowd.

I'm not up on these, but aren't there also others doing well like PUBG, Apex Legends and Warzone?
I dont think you can compare them anymore, theyre popular competitive Battle Royale games AFAIK. Fortnite evolved into one of those when it piggy backed off of PUBGs success but its turned into a whole other thing now on top of that. 110million concurrents across Fortnite modes vs a few hundred thousand or maybe couple million at their peak.

Theres crossover in places but the Figure skating people dont usually hang around with the MMA crowd.
This was poor way to put it. My meaning was just because Football/Soccer is the most popular thing is doesnt mean people wont still prefer Formula One or or play Snooker instead.

Zloth

Community Contributor
What are they drinking over there at Bethesda?
Like I posted in Disqus - they're messing with ya by calling it a space sim RPG. There are VERY few of those. RPGs in space, sure - Mass Effect for the big win. Space sims, sure - X4, Elite Dangerous, Kerbals, and so on. But games that are both are rare. Games that are both and known by more than 2% of the PC gaming world do not exist, leaving them free to say it's the best.

I'm a bit dubious that Starfield even fits in that genre. From what I've seen, it's more space-shooter than space sim, but I haven't played it at all. Maybe the videos I've seen just don't show those bits.

4 hours gameplay, 8 quests, 1 new planet... 100+ loading screens... what? you don't like loading screens? Why are you playing Starfield then?
Loading screens? Come on, Colif! It's been years since I ran into a loading screen that took more than 3 seconds. Who cares about those??

(They still like putting tips on them, though. The best hidden use of Steam's new always-record feature is that you can use it to finish reading the tips!)

What are they drinking over there at Bethesda?

I think on a technical level, it's probably their best achievement yet. It's just too bad that it doesn't seem as fun to play as their other games. But I'm happy they're not giving up on it yet, because from what I've read it seems like it should be possible to fix most of the player complaints.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Starfield is pretty much on par for any particular Bethesda game for me. I got 85 hours of out of it and still intend to go back for more eventually; I got the same amount of time out of Fallout: New Vegas, but only 35 out of 3 and 120 out of Skyrim.

Their best game? I don't know, but it definitely doesn't feel much different from most of their output, but I enjoy their formula.

Good. For some reason Diablo fans love spendin years tryin to find 1 thing that never drops for them and act like thats how it should be. No, not at all and even still Mythics are annoying to get. I would say i have killed roughly 100 tormented bosses (maybe like 90 somethin idk) and have gotten 1 (the one mentioned in the article actually) and it has nothin to do with my class outside of gettin random abilities.

So i always wind up finishing a season early because after getting to 100, leveling up gear to quickly kill tormented (lvl 200) bosses and not getting any mythics is boring and im not spending real money for materials to farm the bosses. So this is good news.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts