October 2023 PCG Article Links and Discussion

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
@Kaamos_Llama better upgrade to Nvidia just in case haha
I've been looking at 4070's because its been 4 years since I had an Nvidia card . My rig was Intel/Nvidia from about 2014 until 2020 if youre thinking I have a horse in any fanboy race ;)

Nvidia is several techs beyond RT now. AMD is struggling to stay relevant, hence the article.

Long one incoming, oops.

I said similar before but the main consoles are AMD and stuff like DLSS is proprietary. I cant see it becoming the default upscaling/frame gen tech over tech agnostic stuff like FSR/Fluid motion which everyone can use eventually. I imagine developers want everyone to play the best versions of their games for the most part, why would they all want to participate in walling features off for Nvidias benefit?

Gsync was the only game in VRR for a short while for a massive premium, I dont think too many care about it now as long as a monitor is 'compatible'. NVidia did tesselation way better than AMD 10-15 years ago. Probably no one remembers because its irrelevant now, much the same as PhysX which was another tech with Nvidia only features after they bought it that became irrelevant after they stopped paying devs to include them.

Nvidia have been mostly ahead for about the last 15 years and people have been saying AMD are down and out a lot of that time. They said the same about their CPU's for several years as well before Ryzen (stock was at $2 at one point) but Bulldozer really was awful, nothing compared to the current GPU's which are actually good options at their price points. People talk about AMD RT as if its pointless even using it, but they arent really that far behind price performance wise.

As to whether AMD will drop out of graphics who knows, probably not soon at least. Things arent really worse for them GPU market share wise then they have been in the last 15 tears as far as I can see, it was worse in 2015 for a few years. There has been a sharp drop off, could be machine learning will kill AMD altogether very quickly, but for gaming at least theyre doing OK.

Course I'm just some forum mook who follows these things with one eye, can easily be something I'm missing and no one knows the future :)

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Just going by what Ive read

What GPUs are compatible with AMD Fluid Motion Frames?​

AMD says Fluid Motion Frames is compatible with most modern AMD and Nvidia GPUs. There's no word on Intel GPUs, but in principle Intel's Arc graphics should be able to run Fluid Motion Frames. In practice, it may be more complicated and depend on factors like latency reduction. For the record, these are the GPUs AMD has thus far listed.

AMD:
Radeon RX 5700 onwards supported
Radeon RX 6000-series onwards recommended

Nvidia:
GeForce RTX 20-series onwards supported
GeForce RTX 30-series onwards recommended

Wait, so I can use AMD Fluid Motion frames on my Nvidia GPU?​

Yup, you absolutely can. But the big question mark is latency. All frame generating/interpolating technologies create at least a little latency. That's why Nvidia insists that its Frame Generation only works in concert with Reflex, which is a latency-reducing technology.

AMD has its own new Anti-Lag+ feature. But that's exclusive to AMD GPUs. So, for FMF to run well on an Nvidia GPU, you'll need to use Reflex. How well will Nvidia Reflex work with AMD FMF? That very much remains to be seen. It's all pretty complicated.

okay, so i guess i was wrong again.

No idea. I don't know why its in drivers if its for everyone... Nvidia can't run AMD drivers. Could be they still testing it, not sure... I don't have it as you need to use special drivers to enable it in games.

might be the driver version lets AMD users use it in any dx11/12 game - https://videocardz.com/newz/amds-la...nables-frame-generation-for-all-dx11-12-games

the non AMD cards might need it to be in the game?

okay, so i guess i was wrong again.

No idea. I don't know why its in drivers if its for everyone... Nvidia can't run AMD drivers. Could be they still testing it, not sure... I don't have it as you need to use special drivers to enable it in games.

might be the driver version lets AMD users use it in any dx11/12 game - https://videocardz.com/newz/amds-la...nables-frame-generation-for-all-dx11-12-games

the non AMD cards might need it to be in the game?
Yea as far as I can see from a quick look, the driver version you can force it on in any DX11 or over game. The other version has to be implemented in the game settings by developers, that one will work on Nvidia or AMD, and possibly Intel as well.

Zloth

Community Contributor

The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria got a 58 from PCGamer, which seems in line with the little bit I was able to find when it released. Most of the complaints seem like things that can be fixed if the developers commit to updating the game though.

TRENDING THREADS