PCG Article Obscure RTSes the world forgot about

Nice article by Russell Adderson, which takes me back…

I'm aware of almost all of 'em, dabbled with a few, but the only ones I played fully were the Dark Reign titles. DR was my 3rd-fav RTS series back in the golden age, after the C&C universes and Total Annihilation.

One not in the article, and sadly very underappreciated imo, is:
Hegemony 1 & 2 had their moments, but 3 was pretty good—has more strategy than the similar Total War games which are way more popular.

How about you?

Reactions: Pifanjr and Zloth
Warzone 2100 the create your own units game. Speaking of creating your own units, impossible creatures and Earth 2150.

I do have a soft spot for KKND (krush Kill N Destroy). Not exactly original and it was flawed (NO SIEGE UNITS!) but i liked it.

Massive's Ground control (not ground control 2, that one was a bit cack) and of course my personal fav World in Conflict.

I doubt I'll ever actually get around to playing it
My guess is most of the obscure ones wouldn't satisfy today. I get annoyed with Hegemony 2 and Grey Goo whenever I play for a while, and those are both very decent games—so lesser lights probably won't shine.

I fired up Dark Reign a few years ago, and I can't remember why, but no—thanks for the memory, but no :)

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
My guess is most of the obscure ones wouldn't satisfy today. I get annoyed with Hegemony 2 and Grey Goo whenever I play for a while, and those are both very decent games—so lesser lights probably won't shine.

I fired up Dark Reign a few years ago, and I can't remember why, but no—thanks for the memory, but no :)

I agree, which is why it would stay at the bottom of my ever growing backlog if I even manage to not forget about it completely, together with a lot of other old games.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS