nvlink relevancy

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
All,

My current system runs twin GTX 1080 with the MSI SLI bridge. It is time to start considering putting together a new system, and with the new generation of NVIDIA cards approaching, would anyone consider twin cards using the nvlink?

Thanks,

Reactions: Frindis
Wait for the new cards to be out and for people to start testing them, including in multi GPU configs.

Nvidia don't usually send out cards to be SLI performance tested but reviewers sometimes loan each other review samples to get it done I think.

It's likely that the adage of getting a single, more powerful GPU being a better option than a pair of less powerful ones, will still hold true. Multiple GPU tech is certainly not all that widely supported - it's hit and miss at best. And on top of all the old multi GPU complaints, AA techniques like TAA, which is very popular in modern AAA titles, exclude its use too.

Not to mention your context too. Your monitor, resolution, refresh rate, adaptive sync tech. And what games and framerates/settings you're aiming for. As well as your budget.

And the pricing of the GPUs. And how they perform. Which again comes back to the fact that we won't know until they're reviewed by independent tech media.

So I wouldn't consider anything until we know :)

I'd probably also wait for Zen 3 CPUs.

What Oussebon said.
I assume you're an enthusiast? If you're not, keeping your system as simple as possible is a wise policy—especially generating as little heat as possible, heat is hardware's constant enemy.

I've always avoided double GPUs & overclocking because of the minimal benefits, significant expense and/or effort, various gotchas, and unnecessary complication of my system—when troubleshooting, the fewer variables you have to deal with, the better.

If you are an enthusiast doing it for fun and knowledge, then have at it once the dust has settled and enjoy :)

TRENDING THREADS