New to PC gaming

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Been nothing but console over the years and looking to jump into PC. Mainly play shooters like COD Modern Warfare.

Is this a good used build for about $1200?

Gtx 1080
Ryzen 7 2700x
240gb ssd
B350 motherboard
Corsair Vengence rgb ram 16gb 3200mhz

Any suggestions?

Zoid

Community Contributor
Been nothing but console over the years and looking to jump into PC. Mainly play shooters like COD Modern Warfare.

Is this a good used build for about $1200?

Gtx 1080
Ryzen 7 2700x
240gb ssd
B350 motherboard
Corsair Vengence rgb ram 16gb 3200mhz

Any suggestions?
This is a nice gaming PC but it is overpriced at $1,200. You could build a brand new computer for that price with a Ryzen 7 3700X and a 5700XT.

Is this a computer you're looking at on eBay or is this one that you are planning to build from used components?

Good point from @Zoid and I would also like to add that the 240GB SSD is very small if you are thinking of playing more games than COD:MW. Some games can have a size of 100GB+ and they will most likely not get smaller in size over the years. A 1TB SSD would be highly recommended.

You can also get slightly cheaper ram with 3200 if you do not need the RBG lighting, like the Hyper X Fury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oussebon and Zoid
It didn't take long to find a ~$1200-ish PC with that spec pre-built.

I don't shop in the USA so no idea if there are better deals. Cyberpower PC is known in the UK and is seen as completely legit here, so could be a valid option.

Reactions: Zoid
Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Appreciate it

Havent really come up with a budget. Trying to find out what the cost would be. I'd like to get a really good fps and ideally run a monitor at 1440 so I dont get so much lag like I do with ps4. I hold my own but there is definetly a difference with the 60hz response time I get with a console. Would I notice a difference tho online? Thought I heard something about servers capping at 60 anyway. Again new to all of this and just researching what is good and bad. Dont mind spending the extra to do this right.

I think when you say servers are capped to 60, you might be talking about tick rate.

A high refresh rate monitor would still make your experience of the game smoother - movement, mouse cursor positioning etc.

If you are aiming to play competitive shooters, you'll often be playing on 1080p mostly low settings to maximise framerate, even allowing for framerate drops. If you're not being super competitive about it, enjoying higher settings and/or also different games, a 1440p 144hz monitor would be an excellent match for a ~$1200 system of the kind of above. There's a huge range of 1440p 144hz monitors to choose from, with some very affordable options and some very good quality options in the mid pricing range. More affordable than you might think anyway.

As long as it has adaptive sync (usually labelled freesync) of some kind :)

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
Would you go with the Rx5700 or pay more for the gtx 2600/2700?
I think when you say servers are capped to 60, you might be talking about tick rate.

A high refresh rate monitor would still make your experience of the game smoother - movement, mouse cursor positioning etc.

If you are aiming to play competitive shooters, you'll often be playing on 1080p mostly low settings to maximise framerate, even allowing for framerate drops. If you're not being super competitive about it, enjoying higher settings and/or also different games, a 1440p 144hz monitor would be an excellent match for a ~$1200 system of the kind of above. There's a huge range of 1440p 144hz monitors to choose from, with some very affordable options and some very good quality options in the mid pricing range. More affordable than you might think anyway.

As long as it has adaptive sync (usually labelled freesync) of some kind
Would you go with the Rx5700 or pay more for the gtx 2600/2700?

RX 5700 is better overall than a 2060 and on par with the 2060 Super and 2070 (non-super). The RX 5700 XT is better than any of those, and is a little behind the 2070 Super.

So depends on local pricing and how much you want to spend. Anything RX 5700 or better is a great option for 1440p gaming.

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
RX 5700 is better overall than a 2060 and on par with the 2060 Super and 2070 (non-super). The RX 5700 XT is better than any of those, and is a little behind the 2070 Super.

So depends on local pricing and how much you want to spend. Anything RX 5700 or better is a great option for 1440p gaming.
Thank you. This helps alot

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site

Thoughts on this setup?

Zoid

Community Contributor
@almiller9 Those look like the same PC just with different graphics cards. If you want to play at 1440p and very high framerates, the RTX 2070 Super is going to give you much better performance than the RX 580, but it all comes down to what you're wanting to spend.

The rest of the specs look mostly good. If you decided later that you wanted faster RAM than the 3000Mhz kit in there you could always upgrade it. Same goes for the storage. I personally would want to swap the HDD for purely solid-state storage, but you may not care about that as much.

Reactions: Oussebon
Have a look at some benchmarks of the games you want to play on various graphics cards at 1440p to get a sense of what you need.

Some people do play some games at 1440p on an RX 580 and are perfectly happy with that experience, but the RX 580 isn't widely considered to be a '1440p gaming card'. For good reason.

GPUs in Shadow of the Tomb Raider @ 1440p, PCGamer review

From: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-review/

NB: I'm not recommending the RX 5600 XT for 1440p gaming, just linking that review as it's a recent review so has data based on relatively recent benchmarks

TRENDING THREADS