New strategy games

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Guy I’ve been off the hook for a long time. I’d like to know to hear from you what new strategy games are as good as all the Company of Heroes games Red Alert 3 and the Rome: Total War series.
Thanks for the help!!!

Reactions: Pifanjr
There are still games being released in the Total War series, the latest being Pharaoh. You might want to start with Total War: Rome 2, which goes on sale for 75% every so often.

As for games like Company of Heroes, the latest Company of Heroes game wasn't reviewed very well and I don't know of any other recent successful RTS games that are similar. The best alternative seems to be Men of War: Assault Squad 2, which is 10 years old now.

For Red Alert 3 type games, I think the most popular right now is Age of Empires 4, besides the remakes of Age of Empires 2 and 3 and the remake of Age of Mythology.

You could check out the list of RTS games sorted by current player numbers to see which games are (still) popular. Though note that I wouldn't describe all of the games on this list as RTS:

Edit: I should also mention Starcraft 2, which wouldn't show up on this list as it isn't on Steam. The multiplayer and Terran campaign are available for free, but you'll have to pay to get the Protoss and Zerg campaigns.

There was also a recent article on the main site about how there aren't any modern RTS games that seem to be able to live up to the RTS games of old:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, there's Age of Wonders: Planetfall. A lot of AoW fans weren't too happy with them going more Science Fiction, but I enjoyed the game a lot. The devs have moved on to a newer AoW game, so you can buy the entirety of Planetfall for cheap.

Endless Legend is another 4X-style strategy game that's somewhat similar, though even older yet. Both games let you put together your armies and equip them then, when there's a battle, you play it out using turn-based combat. With both being old, getting the games with all DLC shouldn't cost much come the next sale.

Turn-based tactical games like XCOM and BattleTech have made a big splash, too.

There are also a couple of big, real-time 4X games (well, big for the 4X genre): Stellaris and Sins of a Solar Empire. Stellaris is very much a game by Paradox, meaning that it has been around for several years, and they keep piling on more and more DLC. Sins of a Solar Empire some DLC/expansions, too, but should be really cheap when on sale. Sins of a Solar Empire 2 has been out for about a month and is getting quite good reviews.

Check here:

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts