New GPU? Advice/ thoughts

Apr 27, 2020
Visit site
Hey people,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on a new GPU upgrade. Currently playing games like BF5 & COD: MW. I want to be able to play this 'smootly', as currently get quite a lot of stuttering. Not too fussed about how it looks.

Current setup:

mobo- Gigabyte AX370M-Gaming mATX

cpu- AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (six core)

memory- 16GB RAM (2x8) DDR4 2666MHz

gpu- NVIDEA GeForce 1050Ti

Curious as to whether their is a benefit to having all AMD hardware (e.g. cpu and gpu)?

Price wise, probably looking at somewhere in the middle.

Let me know your thoughts guys, much appreciated.

Matt

Curious as to whether their is a benefit to having all AMD hardware (e.g. cpu and gpu)?
None. It's not a problem either, but it's not like a set bonus in an MMO :D

Price wise, probably looking at somewhere in the middle.
Middle of what? :)

What monitor are you gaming on? resolution and refresh rate.

What settings are you playing the games on?

What are CPU and GPU temperatures?

What is your CPU cooler? Just the stock AMD one?

Have you looked at task manager / resource monitor to check what is using your PC's resources during the stutter? Is another process using your CPU, or HDD for instance?

Reactions: Zoid
Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Depending on your resolution, I take it you're 1080p, a GTX 1660 or GTX 1660Ti would be a safe bet. There isn't really any benefit being all AMD. If you do want an AMD card the 5600XT is a great 1080p card.

Depends on local pricing but there's often 0 point to buying a 1660 ti vs a 1660 Super, which is effectively a 1660 ti but often a lot cheaper.

Though as above, buying a new GPU may not fix your stutter if it's not settings turned up too high that's causing the stutter :)

IKR - Nvidia's segmentation strategy - a GPU for every $0.01 interval!

Edit, I forgot: Also depending on local pricing, but sometimes 1660 super / ti cards and indeed 5600 XTs are priced such that if you buy one of them you might as well just spend ~£20 more and get a 2060.

Apr 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,

Appreciate the replies. In answer to some of the outstanding questions...

My monitor is just a standard HD TV 1920x1080. Refresh rate 60Hz.

CPU cooler is the stock wraith spire.

FPS games (like BF and COD) I normally play on minimum graphic settings. RPG/ RTS games like the Witcher 3, Total War i normally play on high.

Memory and GPU look quite maxed out on the FPS games, and because 1050 is getting a bit old now I felt like that is what may be the main cause of poor performance.

I haven't actually heard of the 1660 Super. What's the difference? NVIDEA always release so many alternatives I can't keep up!

Is there any point in getting a 2060 on a 1080p monitor?

And what's the longevity of these cards? E.g. will they still be good/ hold up against AAA releases in say 2 years time?

Thanks again for the input guys!

Matt

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
I haven't actually heard of the 1660 Super. What's the difference? NVIDEA always release so many alternatives I can't keep up!

Is there any point in getting a 2060 on a 1080p monitor?

And what's the longevity of these cards? E.g. will they still be good/ hold up against AAA releases in say 2 years time?

All the SUPER title means is that nVidia released the cards after AMD released their new lineup. It was to counter AMD's edge on the market.

If you can, there is no reason not to get an RTX 2060. And @Oussebon is right, if you wait for a little bit sometimes there are sales that make it a no-brainer over the GTX 1660S. GTX is a traditional GPU while RTX adds the potential of RAY TRACING. If you YouTube games like "Minecraft RTX On" you can see the potential of this technology.

In the end it is up to you. You can grab a GTX 1660S, which is a great 1080p card. Or you can shell out a bit more coin for the RTX 2060. If you want to stay AMD the 5600XT is the one you want for your needs.

Reactions: Oussebon
It goes something like:

GTX 1660
GTX 1660 Super (largely replacing the 1660 ti as it provides near-identical performance, though the 1660 ti still exists)
RTX 2060
RTX 2060 Super
RTX 2070 Super
RTX 2080 Super.

The RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2080 Super largely replaced the RTX 2070 and RTX 2080, providing better performance for a similar price. The RTX 2060 Super largely replaced the RTX 2070 (non-Super) providing about the same performance for a lower price. The RTX 2060 still exists, as its niche is between the 1660 Super / 1660 ti and the RTX 2060 Super. As above, these were largely a response to / pre-empting Navi.

On the AMD side, the RX 5600 XT rivals the 2060 (non-Super), the RX 5700 slides between the 2060 and 2060 Super, and the RX 5700 XT slots between the RTX 2060 Super and RTX 2070 Super. The RX 5700 XT tends to offer significantly better bang for buck than the RTX 2070 Super.

However, everything RTX 2060 Super onwards is best-suited to 1440p gaming, and not good value for 1080p.

For a 1080p 60hz monitor I wouldn't usually recommend more than a GTX 1660 / Super.

I wouldn't recommend an RTX 2060 for ray-tracing as I suspect future generations will need to mature/beef up the hardware a lot now we've seen how brutally demanding it is. And I own one (broadly satisfied with it for 1440p gaming).

Even a 1660 non-Super would be a mighty upgrade over your 1050, being easily 3 times as powerful.

What country are you shopping in and what currency? USA + USD? We can check partpicker for local prices and suggest what might be best bang for buck

Reactions: darkroast
Glad it helped :) Without derailing the OP's thread too much (best to make a new thread for GPU advice specific to you maybe?) for 1440p ultrawide, I'd be looking at RX 5700 XT or better. Though depends on your budget and the games you play ofc.

Apr 27, 2020
Visit site
What country are you shopping in and what currency? USA + USD? We can check partpicker for local prices and suggest what might be best bang for buck

That was a really helpful post mate, thank you. Glad it helped others too. Yeah - no point in me doing overkill if i'm capped at a 1080p monitor unfortunately. Might look into 1660 super, as that is sounding promising.

I'm from the UK, so currency GBP.

Have seen some videos on ray-tracing and it does look very impressive, I must admit.

Reactions: Oussebon
Also from the UK so reasonably current on pricing / familiar with the stores :)

On Amazon you can order a 1660 non-Super here or here for £200. Currently out of stock though I expect they'll get more in, or an EVGA SC Ultra for £210. Otherwise from around ~£210 in most stores.

A 1660 gives performance a slice behind a GTX 1070.

There seem to be a load of GTX 1660 Supers for under £230 - which surprised me. AriaPC has this Palit one for £225 in stock. Or this Gigabyte twin fan model for £220 on CCL (out of stock but you can preorder).

1660 Super = 1660 ti = GTX 1070 all to within a few frames.

You seem to be able to get RX 5600 XTs for £270. Amazon even has one in stock (gasp), and that SKU is on sale for similar prices elsewhere.

This is £30 cheaper than any of the RTX 2060s, which all seem to be from £300. Obviously there's no hardware support for ray tracking, but tbh I wouldn't bank on a 2060's ray-tracing capabilities, as I mentioned above. By the time ray tracing is much of a thing, I expect we'll be onto (and indeed we'll require) newer generations of RTX hardware.

Conclusions:
Given the small price differences between 1660 and 1660 super, go with 1660 super.
If looking for a bit more performance still, the RX 5600 XT is probably a better deal than the RTX 2060. Uses a little less power than the 2060 too. How much of a performance bump you'll get depends on the title - maybe 15-20%, for a 20% price increase. Could be worth it.

TRENDING THREADS