Question Need help with purchase decision / Virtual Pinball

CParsons

Staff member
Hey folks, I'm looking at picking up a PC with the main use basically being for Virtual Pinball of all sorts. Pinball FX, Future Pinball, Visual Pinball, VPX, etc. The problem I'm running into is that I don't know what is "enough" when it comes to the video card I should be picking up. I'm not looking to blow all the money in my bank account, but at the very least want to be sure it can run 1080p flawlessly and if I can hit 4K.. even better. It'll also need to power up to at min 2 1080p displays. I've had my eye on this build for a bit now from someone:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
GPU: Evga 1060 6GB
RAM:16GB 2x8GB 3200mhz ram
PSU: 650w 80plus power supply
CASE: ICAN P1 ATX
SSD: 480GB Kingston SSD
MOBO: Asus prime B450

I know it's a bit short on EXACT details there, but the RAM, PSU, case and SSD don't really mean much to me as I can replace all them if needed. But I'm just not sure how far that processor and video card will take me in the Virtual Pinball world. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, they're asking $600 for all that.. based on the available info. Is that a fair price? Again, I realize some details are short there. There's also this for $650:

CPU:Ryzen 5 1600x
GPU: MSI Red dragon GTX 1070 8GB
RAM:16GB Corsair LXP 16GB
PSU: Cooler-master master watt 650w power supply
CASE: Corsair spec delta
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO
HDD: 1TB Seagate hard drive
MOBO:MSI B350 tomahawk

Reactions: Frindis and Lutfij
Pinball FX system requirments + Reddit sources.

You're going to be fine though if you know the person who's selling the system, check and ask/see what the make and model of the PSU is and how old the unit is. Obviously the case is horrible since it's more a microwave than an actual chassis that allows airflow. Outside of that, you're in good hands. You can update the BIOS and then drop something higher in terms of processors...but that's at a much later date.

Edit;
Eh, just noticed the edit. The other build seems better overall...again the same question with the PSU. Model of the unit as well as it's age will help seal the deal for you.

Last edited:

CParsons

Staff member
Pinball FX system requirments + Reddit sources.

You're going to be fine though if you know the person who's selling the system, check and ask/see what the make and model of the PSU is and how old the unit is. Obviously the case is horrible since it's more a microwave than an actual chassis that allows airflow. Outside of that, you're in good hands. You can update the BIOS and then drop something higher in terms of processors...but that's at a much later date.

Edit;
Eh, just noticed the edit. The other build seems better overall...again the same question with the PSU. Model of the unit as well as it's age will help seal the deal for you.

Yeah, I was more leaning toward the other build as well. Thanks for the insight @Lutfij, gonna go see if I can find out those PSU details.

• Love
Reactions: Frindis and Lutfij
It is nice to see Can you run it updated their tests to recognise my card. 3 months ago there were only 3 games I could supposedly play... I felt ripped off, buy a new GPU just to find it can't play anything... now it knows I can play 99.96% of the games they have tested, at recommended settings.

sorry, I was looking for system requirements and well, it had an answer for https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/pinball-fx-2022/21645 but you already had it.

Most of the Pinball machines aren't amazing graphically intensive games, they run on almost anything really. I used to play Zen Pinball on PS3. They remade it for PS4 and it was mostly the same anyway.

I've no idea about virtual pinball but for $650 but here's the mandatory tech forum 'build your own' post.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100F 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO H610M-G DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($89.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($34.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($51.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: ADATA XPG PYLON 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $657.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-14 10:30 EDT-0400

Its a super budget motherboard, but doesnt sound like you need a lot of bells and whistles, and would be faster all around than the two you listed if you needed it.

CParsons

Staff member
It is nice to see Can you run it updated their tests to recognise my card. 3 months ago there were only 3 games I could supposedly play... I felt ripped off, buy a new GPU just to find it can't play anything... now it knows I can play 99.96% of the games they have tested, at recommended settings.

sorry, I was looking for system requirements and well, it had an answer for https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/pinball-fx-2022/21645 but you already had it.

Most of the Pinball machines aren't amazing graphically intensive games, they run on almost anything really. I used to play Zen Pinball on PS3. They remade it for PS4 and it was mostly the same anyway.

Yeah, Pinball FX3 was kinda easy to sort out as like you said it's not too intense. I was somewhat concerned about Visual Pinball X, Future Pinball, etc. But the machine I did pick up (I didn't get the one noted above) has been running everything like a champ so all good.

CParsons

Staff member
I've no idea about virtual pinball but for $650 but here's the mandatory tech forum 'build your own' post.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100F 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO H610M-G DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($89.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($34.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($51.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: ADATA XPG PYLON 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $657.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-14 10:30 EDT-0400

Its a super budget motherboard, but doesnt sound like you need a lot of bells and whistles, and would be faster all around than the two you listed if you needed it.

Thanks for this.. I managed to pick up a different system that was in budget and meets my needs.

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
  • Thermaltake water ring 240 AIO
  • Asus Crosshair VI Hero AM4
  • GSkill Z RGB 16gb ddr4 3200 cl14
  • Asus dual geforce Gtx 1060 3gb
  • Corsair obsidian 750D
  • Corsair RM 650x w/ red cable mod sleeves
  • Asus PCE-AC88 wifi adapter
  • Corsair Fans
Video card could have been better but meh.. it certainly does the trick for now until I can get it upgraded to something better.

CParsons

Staff member
Pics or it didn't happen! :3

Fine, but don't laugh at my janky setup. It's temporary for now. :p

uILDD2m.jpg

Pinball FX3 ^

dqfAbhc.jpg

Visual Pinball X ^

HJo1W3t.jpg

Yeah, Pinball FX3 was kinda easy to sort out as like you said it's not too intense. I was somewhat concerned about Visual Pinball X, Future Pinball, etc. But the machine I did pick up (I didn't get the one noted above) has been running everything like a champ so all good.
Oh GOD! You've ruined me. I'd never heard of Visual Pinball X before. 1700 tables? I'm installing as I type,

Also, going to see if what's new in Pinball FX3. Haven't played in a couple of years.

CParsons

Staff member
Oh GOD! You've ruined me. I'd never heard of Visual Pinball X before. 1700 tables? I'm installing as I type,

Also, going to see if what's new in Pinball FX3. Haven't played in a couple of years.

Careful man... it's a time suck and a half. 😂

Not a lot has changed in Pinball FX3 but they released the new Pinball FX on the Epic Store. That has all new 4K visuals, some newer tables and such, but it still kinda sucks for cabinet mode and their whole buying tables with coins is kinda bad. Still interesting to check out though, just not quite there yet.

Honestly, dude, you probably got a steal with that build since you got the sleeved PSU cables meant for the PSU, not sleeved extensions! Also, has a good number of fans as intakes and exhausts.

My only concern in the build is that red SATA data cable, if you're on a SATA 3 SSD, I hope that cable is SATA 3 as well. Last time I came across a red SATA data cable was SATA 2 speeds.

CParsons

Staff member
Honestly, dude, you probably got a steal with that build since you got the sleeved PSU cables meant for the PSU, not sleeved extensions! Also, has a good number of fans as intakes and exhausts.

My only concern in the build is that red SATA data cable, if you're on a SATA 3 SSD, I hope that cable is SATA 3 as well. Last time I came across a red SATA data cable was SATA 2 speeds.

If that's the only concern, I can live with that. I'll check the cable and see what it is. That drive isn't the main one anyway, I stuck a 1TB WD Black SN770 NVMe in there.

TRENDING THREADS