Question Need help with performance issues (fps drops)

May 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I need some help figuring out why I am having performance issues, specifically in regards to my FPS dropping semi-frequently while in-game. The two games that's been giving me the most issues are Battlefield V and Destiny 2, while I know that BFV is a very graphically intensive game even on the lowest settings I can only get about 40-60fps. Destiny 2 performance is quite odd as a few months ago It ran pretty well with no substantial performance issues (unfortunately, I do not have any benchmarks from that time) fast forward to now, I have more frequent FPS drops that typically occur when A. In PVE when I play the horde modes and B. when PVP in the control game modes.
FYI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop with a GTX 1060 with a Max-Q design.
Intel Quad-Core i7-7700HQ, 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, 16GB DDR4 Memory, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB Graphics, Windows 10

Both games are on the lowest graphic settings

I have tried Undervolting my laptop by offsetting the voltage to about -0.140V which has yielded an average temp decrease of about 8 degrees. (from 80 to low 70s) so I do not think that it is thermal throttling.

here is a stress I did with FurMark and Prime 95 (before undervolting) but unfortunately I do not know how to share the CVC file on this forum site.

My goal is to see if I can possibly get slightly better performance I would like to see consistent FPS with only minor drops occasionally.

During the game,my CPU temps are around 70 to 75 degrees
Ram usage in game is 11456mb so around 11.5 gb
The game is actually in my harddrive and not my ssd and my hard drive has 631gb left

If you have an i7 770HQ and a GTX 1060 max-Q you should easily be able to do better than low settings.

What is the GPU usage during gaming?

Have you:
Set the laptop's power plan to high performance
Set the Nvidia GPU as the preferred graphics processor in Nvidia control panel
Set Prefer Maximum Performance on the Nvidia GPU power setting in control panel?

May 30, 2020
Visit site
If you have an i7 770HQ and a GTX 1060 max-Q you should easily be able to do better than low settings.

What is the GPU usage during gaming?

Have you:
Set the laptop's power plan to high performance
Set the Nvidia GPU as the preferred graphics processor in Nvidia control panel
Set Prefer Maximum Performance on the Nvidia GPU power setting in control panel?

Thank you for replying,
Just to clarify I would like to get 60fps or better without it dipping below 60fps. Do you think that is possible with this laptop?
My GPU usage during gaming is about 30-55%/mb
I currently have my power plan set to ultimate performance
If you are referring to the option in PhysX configuration then yes
yes I have set maximum performance for the GPU power setting

May 30, 2020
Visit site
%/mb? What do you mean, are you talking about the VRAM?

What is the GPU core load?

Not PhysX, this thing:

oh okay,
Are you talking about the GPU memory usage it's about 10034mb is that too high or low?
FYI I'm using MSI afterburner to get this data

May 30, 2020
Visit site
That's not GPU memory, that's system memory usage (RAM)

===

I'm trying to establish what you meant by 30-55%/mb

I'm asking what the actual GPU load is. Not memory, nothing to do with MB or GB, the load on the GPU.

in MSI Afterburner it is the "GPU usage"

so you're looking for a percentage?

In that case, I think I meant to say 30% was low and 55% was the highest (on the graph thingy)
also if you didn't notice I'm kinda new to this, so I apologize for being slow

TRENDING THREADS