Need help finding the name of an old stategy game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm not too fond of too complex strategy game, but I do remember spending a lot of time (like more than 25 years ago) on a turn based strategy game. But I cannot remember the name, I'll need help. Here is what I remember:

It's based on western europe. You started controlling one region (from around the 16th century) and had to expend to neighbour region. You could start with Navarre, Burgundy,.... (mostly in France). The game was mainly showing the map with regions as a whole (no zooming into them or scrolling up/down/right/left). At some poing in the game, you could give region to the pope as well (to be well seen).

I know it's not much. But old timers like me could also have fond memories of that game.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
No, I tried google as well (hoping an image would pop up). I also tried a website will al lot of free old games from that time, but...
You would conquer other regions with battle (I believe you switched from the main map to a battle screen). I do not rembember if you could gain regions another way (if it was possible, it was rare).

It's not Age of Empire, the game was less "impressive" visually. It was a simple map with pop up for events. And it had nothing to do with Black & White. It was a politic warfare game with a period between 13th and 16th century.

It was not an indie game, but it was not a huge hit either. I believe the studio was well know at that time, but that's just a guess. And no, it is not any of theses games.

The main screen was really only a 2d map showing region of France, Spain, Italy,... of that time.

It looked a little like this map (but with less details, just a whole region in the color of the owner):
https://i.redd.it/ivbgp2f0dpm71.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
It was a little bit like Risk in fact, even visually. But only based on West Europe regions in the 15th.

Rah, it's driving me nuts. I'm searching since this afternoon. I have enough memory to remember enjoying it, but not enough to get a name.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Hi there,

I'm not too fond of too complex strategy game, but I do remember spending a lot of time (like more than 25 years ago) on a turn based strategy game. But I cannot remember the name, I'll need help. Here is what I remember:

It's based on western europe. You started controlling one region (from around the 16th century) and had to expend to neighbour region. You could start with Navarre, Burgundy,.... (mostly in France). The game was mainly showing the map with regions as a whole (no zooming into them or scrolling up/down/right/left). At some poing in the game, you could give region to the pope as well (to be well seen).

I know it's not much. But old timers like me could also have fond memories of that game.

No idea, but this thread made me buy Axis and Allies. You owe me $10.

Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen plenty of game maps similar to the one you linked, but putting a name to them is another story. Sleep on it :)
Didn't help, I lost it for good I believe. Too bad, I really had fond memories of that game. I was hoping for a sequel or something, but seems it stopped existing. I checked all the abandonware sites I could find with no luck.

Last edited:
Nope, it's a little better visually. But the idea is there.
I've looked through all strategy games I could find and this fit suspiciously well, including the year it came out (30 years ago), having regions like Navarre and Burgundy, having a pope and there being a bunch of events that can trigger, as well as it being from a pretty major developer/publisher (the company also published games like Neverwinter Nights and Stronghold). Are you sure you're not misremembering how good it looked?

Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
I've looked through all strategy games I could find and this fit suspiciously well, including the year it came out (30 years ago), having regions like Navarre and Burgundy, having a pope and there being a bunch of events that can trigger, as well as it being from a pretty major developer/publisher (the company also published games like Neverwinter Nights and Stronghold). Are you sure you're not misremembering how good it looked?
Yep, I'm sure. But it indeed seems similar in content. I guess the game had been released around 1995, it was really a little nicer visually speaking.

Jan 4, 2022
Visit site
no idea of the game itself, but if it helps here is a list of the main ones on wikipedia:

perhaps imperialism (and imperialism 2) is what you're looking for?

It did help, the game looked enough like "Lords of the Realm" to make me doubt. But I'm not sure anymore if what I'm looking after is what I really remember. So it help making me realise that memories should stay just that, memories...
I would be dissappointed anyway even if I retrieve the game.

What I really wanted was a recent game with the same mechanics, but I won't find this.

Thanks all for your time and your help.

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,

AOE 1 maybe !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS