Question Need help Cpu +90°c after changing AIO

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hey, I'm facing a huge problem for a cousin of mine.

He is using an old gaming pc that I made a few years ago with a decent configuration.

Intel Core i7-6850k Asus Strix X99 gaming Etc etc the rest is not that important.

The problem is that, my cousine is not a professional and let the dust inside the pc for a long time. Recently, he had a error on his pc which resultat by a shutting down. After rebooting he saw that his cpu was at 99°c. We immediately changed it to a AIO Corsair H100i. But we have the exact same issue. Now, the pc start, but after 1 min stop due to high cpu temp. Tbh, I have no idea.. can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Did you clean anything out? Make sure all fans are spinning, make sure the AIO pump is working, maybe the header on the motherboard is broken? Make sure you have thermal paste etc. Test the Aio with it outside the case just to make sure it's not an airflow problem.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hey @JarlBSoD, thank you for your quick reply.
So, I checked the fans are spinning, after a couple of seconds we can hear the pump which is working. Thermal paste have been changed for a new one. I also tried to replace the AIO by the old one. (Same situation)
Which finally made me think like your idea about the header on the motherboard.. but how can I be sure.. I also read an article about cpu sensor on motherboard, but there is no way to check it 🤔

The only AIO mentioned in this thread is a Corsair H100i. If the replacement AIO is the Corsair H100i, what is the make and model of the cooler used prior to the replacement?

Intel Core i7-6850k Asus Strix X99 gaming Etc etc the rest is not that important
au contraire, you actually need to provide the full specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

If you're able to get into motherboard BIOS, please check and see/mention here what BIOS version you're on.

Last edited:
Since you get the same problem with two different CPU-coolers, I am willing to bet that it is something both of them having in common, and my first guess would be that the power to the pump is not working. Try using a different fan or pump header on your motherboard.

if that is not the case, your CPU temp sensor might be defect.

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hello @Slasken . Thanks for your feedback, I might be able to try today with an other header. I'll let you know.
Hello @Lutfij. Also thank you for your help. The previous AIOwas also a Corsair but a H115i mounted 8 years ago. in 2016.
This is also a really important thing to know. The PC is 8 years old today.

Here are the spec :
CPU: Itnel I7-6850K
Motherboard: Asus Strix x99 Gaming
Ram:Corsair Vegeance LPX 16Go 2666
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 Evo + HDD 1To + 2 SSD 2"5 480Go
GPU: GTX 1080 (yeah.. that time)
PSU: Corsair RM1000x Gold
Chassis:Corsair AIR540 (yeah this huge case)

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
@Lutfij It is really difficult to know, because the PC is stopping under a min.. :( But I don't think my cousin made any update, so it might be a BIOS issue.. Try with a aircooler is a really good idea, I should buy one and try!
The radiator is mounted on the top.

@Slasken It's rising and pretty fast, exactlythe same that if there's not cooler.. When I can reach the bios, I see a t°c of ~75°c before going to 93/95 and then the computer turns off

Tbh,we all want the same, but I really hope it is a software issue, the i7 is really old (8 yo) but the problem appears a day and now blocked any boot.. It was working perfectly 2 weeks ago..

@Slasken It's rising and pretty fast, exactlythe same that if there's not cooler.. When I can reach the bios, I see a t°c of ~75°c before going to 93/95 and then the computer turns off

Tbh,we all want the same, but I really hope it is a software issue, the i7 is really old (8 yo) but the problem appears a day and now blocked any boot.. It was working perfectly 2 weeks ago..
It shouldn't turn off that quickly, and the temp shouldn't rise that quickly. You would also feel both the pump and the tubing near the pump become hot if the pump is not running. I know this from experience with an I7 5820k. Similar issue.

It would be worth testing an air cooler, but it might not help, but atleast you get to exclude the AIO or the CPU.

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
It shouldn't turn off that quickly, and the temp shouldn't rise that quickly. You would also feel both the pump and the tubing near the pump become hot if the pump is not running. I know this from experience with an I7 5820k. Similar issue.

It would be worth testing an air cooler, but it might not help, but atleast you get to exclude the AIO or the CPU. If it is the CPU, it might be the thermal paste between the cores and the IHS.

OK, I'll try to start the PC and touch the tubing near the pump.
Yes, I'll buy a aircooler and indeed, I'll try other solutions.
I didn't think about the thermal past between cores and IHS. In this case, I don't have any choice right ?

I didn't think about the thermal past between cores and IHS. In this case, I don't have any choice right ?
You could always delid the CPU

EDIT: Looks like the IHS is soldered to the cores. In that case, it shouldn't be a problem with the thermal paste(which isn't a thermal paste) between the cores and the IHS

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Mmmuh, if possible, maybe. But I have to say that this is going outside of my capacity :(
I'm gonna check but after 8 years, it is possible that you're right!

EDIT : it's a socket LGA, I believe it's a soldered IHS?

You could always delid the CPU

EDIT: Looks like the IHS is soldered to the cores. In that case, it shouldn't be a problem with the thermal paste(which isn't a thermal paste) between the cores and the IHS
Delid is probably not a good idea unless you realy know what you are doing, and at this point it would just maybe treat a symptom and not solve the real issue.

Did you make sure the coolers are mounted properly aswell?. What update did your friend do? If it was a bios update it might have been something that got borked :/

TRENDING THREADS