Need help choosing new GPU

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
OK, I'm an old geezer that doesn't know much about PC gaming but just over 4 years ago I bought this PC for my then 8-year old son to play basic games on. He is looking for something a little better now (he still only plays simple games like Roblox and TABS type games so I was hoping if I doubled the RAM and put in a new GPU that would be enough for him. Would this help us and is there a GPU that we would see a considerable difference with inside this old PC that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg?
Thanks
83-101-578-Z01.jpg

Quick Info
Ryzen 5 1400 (3.20 GHz)L3 Cache Per CPU8 MBCPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
8 MB L3 CacheMemory8 GB DDR4
1 TB HDDOptical Drive
500W Power Supply
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

COLGeek

Cybernaut
For around $400, you can find a GTX 1650 class GPU. Not a huge leap from your current GTX 1050, but newer, somewhat faster, with more memory.

Definitely installing more memory would help. I would go with 2x16GB=32GB of memory.

What is your total budget for upgrades?

Also, does this system have a SSD and/or HDD?

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
For around $400, you can find a GTX 1650 class GPU. Not a huge leap from your current GTX 1050, but newer, somewhat faster, with more memory.

Definitely more more memory would help. I would go with 2x16GB=32GB of memory.

What is your total budget for upgrades?

Also, does this system have a SSD and/or HDD?
It doesn't have an SSD, just the Hard drive that came with it. I was hoping the budget for the RAM and GPU would run around the $400. I think the main question is, is this computer too old to put money into or not? I've never upgraded a PC before so I don't know at what point am I better off buying an entire new one.
And thanks for the reply

Reactions: Brian Boru

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While it is a first generation Ryzen, it should still handle many games well.

Where on the planet are you located?

Also, what is the actual model number of this Acer rig? You might be able to install a second gen Ryzen in it.

BTW, GPU prices are off the scale these days (limited supply, high demand).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You might want to see what your local Micro Center has.

If upgrading, a stronger GPU, more memory, and adding a SSD for the OS and games would make this rig perform much better. Not going to be cheap, but less than a new rig.

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
You might want to see what your local Micro Center has.

If upgrading, a stronger GPU, more memory, and adding a SSD for the OS and games would make this rig perform much better. Not going to be cheap, but less than a new rig.

Awesome! I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks

What Windows have you?

If budget gets squeezed:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB
If you can't get a better one at a sane price—that's not easy!—then the 1050 can chug along for another while on simpler games like your son currently pays. If he progresses to more demanding games, then they'll run at lower settings.

I have a 1060 with 6GB VRAM and it does me just fine at 1080p on fairly recent action games like Far Cry 5 and FC New Dawn. That is a better card than yours, but not that much better :)
However, I see games coming out now where 1060 is minimum requirement—and you don't want to be on minimum to get stable performance. So latest and greatest will be out of reach.

8 MB L3 CacheMemory8 GB DDR4
32GB RAM is great if it's cheap, but 16GB will do just fine for years yet—I've only heard of one game which uses/needs more so far, tho of course there could be more.

just the Hard drive
Yeah, definitely get an SSD. Doesn't need to be the newer NVMe type—if that would even work in yours, I don't know. You can get 1TB SSDs for under $100, the extra size can be worth it with the sizes of games these days—don't go smaller than 500GB.

500W Power Supply
If you do get a beefier GPU, then your PSU comes into question—just something to be aware of.

Summary

Try extra RAM and SSD first—those two will make a major difference to the 'feel' of the PC. That could keep son happy until GPU prices return to sanity, which is probably going to be next year. By then you may want to look at a new machine anyway.

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
What Windows have you?

If budget gets squeezed:

If you can't get a better one at a sane price—that's not easy!—then the 1050 can chug along for another while on simpler games like your son currently pays. If he progresses to more demanding games, then they'll run at lower settings.

I have a 1060 with 6GB VRAM and it does me just fine at 1080p on fairly recent action games like Far Cry 5 and FC New Dawn. That is a better card than yours, but not that much better :)
However, I see games coming out now where 1060 is minimum requirement—and you don't want to be on minimum to get stable performance. So latest and greatest will be out of reach.

32GB RAM is great if it's cheap, but 16GB will do just fine for years yet—I've only heard of one game which uses/needs more so far, tho of course there could be more.

Yeah, definitely get an SSD. Doesn't need to be the newer NVMe type—if that would even work in yours, I don't know. You can get 1TB SSDs for under $100, the extra size can be worth it with the sizes of games these days—don't go smaller than 500GB.

If you do get a beefier GPU, then your PSU comes into question—just something to be aware of.

Summary

Try extra RAM and SSD first—those two will make a major difference to the 'feel' of the PC. That could keep son happy until GPU prices return to sanity, which is probably going to be next year. By then you may want to look at a new machine anyway.
all good info!

TRENDING THREADS