Need advice on upgrading/fixing this computer.

Feb 25, 2023
Visit site
So i currently have:

• Corsair 550w PSU
  • ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming Motherboard
  • 32gb RAM
  • Ryzen 5 1600x six-core prosessor, 3900 mhz. CPU
  • Palid Nvidia GTX 1070 ti GPU
So far I've upgraded RAM and changed CPU cooler since I bought it ~5 years ago or so.

But recently I've been having trouble with performance of the GPU and one of the fans seems to be struggeling to spin and causes allot of noise. Temp goes up to 82-85c while gaming pretty much right away. I mostly play tarkov and I've had quite a bit of performance issues there. And very noticeable now with the new map there etc. Hogwarts legacy also struggled abit on reccomended settings wich are medium and 1080p and ive been getting issues with textures and props popping in super late. In several games. Aswell as low fps.
I've tried opening the gpu and getting all the dust out and wanted to take off heatsink to change the thermal paste. But couldn't get the heatsink off even tho all screws were out. (Think thermal pads were a bit stuck in it or something but idk not experienced with it and didn't wanna ruin the card) but didn't see much change from getting the dust out. Fans also seemed to spin fine. But one is still struggeling and making noise when on. CPU seems to be doing good temp wise.

So at first I was researching into just upgrading GPU. And kinda wanted to go up to a 12gb gpu. But I dunno if that's necessary. I have very limited knowledge about this stuff. I was also looking at the rx6600. But noticed that I might want a better cpu aswell at the same time? To not bottleneck the new gpu. And I'm noticing that most cards have higher requirements than 550w psu. Is 550w psu on the low end theese days aswell? I was thinking to use around 500-800 euros ish but can stretch higher.

But yeah, what do you guys think? Could I be good with just a new GPU for a good few years or should I look into getting a cpu and gpu together to make it last. And in that case should I look into a new psu aswell? Sorry for wall of text and not being very specific In the end, but any advice is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Why_Me
So i currently have:

• Corsair 550w PSU
  • ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming Motherboard
  • 32gb RAM
  • Ryzen 5 1600x six-core prosessor, 3900 mhz. CPU
  • Palid Nvidia GTX 1070 ti GPU
So far I've upgraded RAM and changed CPU cooler since I bought it ~5 years ago or so.

But recently I've been having trouble with performance of the GPU and one of the fans seems to be struggeling to spin and causes allot of noise. Temp goes up to 82-85c while gaming pretty much right away. I mostly play tarkov and I've had quite a bit of performance issues there. And very noticeable now with the new map there etc. Hogwarts legacy also struggled abit on reccomended settings wich are medium and 1080p and ive been getting issues with textures and props popping in super late. In several games. Aswell as low fps.
I've tried opening the gpu and getting all the dust out and wanted to take off heatsink to change the thermal paste. But couldn't get the heatsink off even tho all screws were out. (Think thermal pads were a bit stuck in it or something but idk not experienced with it and didn't wanna ruin the card) but didn't see much change from getting the dust out. Fans also seemed to spin fine. But one is still struggeling and making noise when on. CPU seems to be doing good temp wise.

So at first I was researching into just upgrading GPU. And kinda wanted to go up to a 12gb gpu. But I dunno if that's necessary. I have very limited knowledge about this stuff. I was also looking at the rx6600. But noticed that I might want a better cpu aswell at the same time? To not bottleneck the new gpu. And I'm noticing that most cards have higher requirements than 550w psu. Is 550w psu on the low end theese days aswell? I was thinking to use around 500-800 euros ish but can stretch higher.

But yeah, what do you guys think? Could I be good with just a new GPU for a good few years or should I look into getting a cpu and gpu together to make it last. And in that case should I look into a new psu aswell? Sorry for wall of text and not being very specific In the end, but any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hogwarts Legacy is brutal on the best systems. What country are you located?

Im in Norway!
Update your boards bios and then look at these components. Whatever money you have left put towards a graphics card. Check the specs on whatever graphics card you are interested in and look at the minimum power supply (watts) recommended.

CPU

RAM

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 25, 2023
Visit site
Update your boards bios and then look at these components. Whatever money you have left put towards a graphics card. Check the specs on whatever graphics card you are interested in and look at the minimum power supply (watts) recommended.

CPU

RAM

well i have pretty good RAM (32gb) allready for my needs i feel like. its mostly CPU, GPU cus its having issues and possibly PSU if i have too, that im looking to upgrade. thank you for replying, and helping out!

Reactions: Why_Me
Feb 25, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys. sorry for getting back to you super late. life came around and demanded allot of attention. Thank you for all your replies!
i have looked at what i could get for a decent price in different tech companies that deliver here in scandnavia. and ive ended up with this:

this for 9 644 norwegian kroner or 847 Euro /897 dollars

So basically before i order this. im wondering a few things:

Is there is any compatability issues with this? ive tried doing the research and im pretty sure my motehrboard (STRIX B350-F) has a bios update for that cpu. but im not 100%

Ive heard mixed things about the arc a770. do you guys think it is a good card at this point with the updates it has had?

Will that PSU be sufficient? and since it is quite cheap compared to other psu's of same wattage is that brand/soemthing not the best, and i should maybe pay a bit more for something better?

And lastly you think im getting shafted by scandiavian sites pricing with this or it looks allright?

Any question answered is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Hi guys. sorry for getting back to you super late. life came around and demanded allot of attention. Thank you for all your replies!
i have looked at what i could get for a decent price in different tech companies that deliver here in scandnavia. and ive ended up with this:

Is there is any compatability issues with this? ive tried doing the research and im pretty sure my motehrboard (STRIX B350-F) has a bios update for that cpu. but im not 100%

Ive heard mixed things about the arc a770. do you guys think it is a good card at this point with the updates it has had?

Will that PSU be sufficient? and since it is quite cheap compared to other psu's of same wattage is that brand/soemthing not the best, and i should maybe pay a bit more for something better?

And lastly you think im getting shafted by scandiavian sites pricing with this or it looks allright?

It all works although I've heard mixed reviews on Intel's drivers.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

That PSU is not recommended, no name brand, no reviews, cheap. Red flag X 3

This one is way better for not much more and has plenty of power for your system with the upgrades.

Feb 25, 2023
Visit site
That PSU is not recommended, no name brand, no reviews, cheap. Red flag X 3

This one is way better for not much more and has plenty of power for your system with the upgrades.

Yes, i deffinetly was a bit suspicious of that PSU, as i couldnt find anythign about it. i might go for a 6700 XT instead of the arc 770. do you still think 650 will be enough power? im thinkin i might go for 750 so i have some room for upgrading in the future perhaps. just someone told me id likely be needing 800-850 so i have been looking for that but if 750 is good i have some more options within my comfortable prize range. but i only have a dual fan AiO with one rear fan and only a couple LED strips in the case. so its not allot of stuff for the PSU to power other than normal components.

thank you very much for your reply!

TRENDING THREADS