Question My PC's performance has recently worsened significantly

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I've noticed that in both games and idle tasks, performance has been noticeably worse. My GPU becomes at unreasonable usage (90-100%) and very hot when playing low end games and giving lower than normal frame rate+stuttering. Additionally, my CPU has been running very loud while processing idle tasks and gets random spikes in usage with the fans starting to spin fast during browsing and simple tasks. I have never experienced this in my PC throughout my 2 years of use and would really like help to decide if I need to replace any parts or whether it's a software issue. I've tried a clean reboot of Windows 10, virus scans, checking task manager, updating graphics drivers from the official site multiple times but none of this has helped.

My specs are:
Corsair RGB spec delta case with original case fans
Ryzen 7 3700x with stock cooler
Radeon 5700XT
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
CORSAIR - Vengeance PRO 32GB 2x16GB 3200MHz
Seasonic - SSR-650GB3, 650W 80+ Bronze PSU
Crucial - P5 1TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe
1920x1080 monitor 144hz

Thanks all.

run anti virus scans?
Bitdefender = https://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html
Malwarebytes = https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download

if its not dust, it sure sounds like it.

is it the same in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

2 small possibilities:

1. Some fan(s) stopped working.

2. Extra stuff—accessories, peripherals—plugged in drawing PC power. I'm no expert on this, and know nothing re AMD parts, but 650W looks like it wouldn't have much to spare after supplying juice for the Ryzen 7 3700x and Radeon 5700XT.

Is a stock cooler good enough for the Ryzen 7 3700x?

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
When my system suffers such slowdowns. It generally is the signal for me to not just check for any dust buildup in the heat-sinks, but also to grab the digital broom and start deep-cleaning my drives. NTFS is a good filesystem, but past a certain number of small files it can get pretty resource consuming to even do basic browsing apparently.

So i run stuff like Bleachbit and Windirstat and start hunting whatever might be storing or left behind copious amounts of files before letting the drives trim themselves. You'd be surprised how many orphaned files one ends up with over time and slowing things down

TRENDING THREADS