Question My first build. Didnt go as planned.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
So i bought everything i shortlisted for my rig and started building.Ryzen 7 3700x cooled by Mercury RGB AIO 240mm,Asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi,st75f-gs Silverstone 750 W psu,1x16gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000mhz & 1x8gb Gskill Ripjaws V 3000mhz memory,1TB Nvme SSD Lexar and wanted RX5700 video card but settled for RX580 (Not happy,so should i go for RX5700??).
I watched a lot of tech guides on YT and thought pc build be smooth sailing.But i was wrong,After assembling everything the vga led on motherboard lit up and beeped twice.Nothing happened.No display or anything.I tried all basic troubleshoot and still nothing.After when i removed cmos battery and booted,it booted to the bios but then again i lost display.
Not sure what i was doing wrong,So to switch the vga card to another slot i ripped off the pcie clip that clips onto the card :(. I'm disappointed with the RX580 and planning to go for RX5700(Any suggestions?).I want a future proof card that i can hold onto for next 3-5 years.So is RX5700 the right move?
I dont play many games but mostly first person shooter sometimes.Pubg,CS go etc.I need a card that is VR ready and be one of the best so i should be good for another few set of years.
I read that RX5700 is power hungry and heats up.Planning to AIO with NZXT120mm cooler so heating up shouldnt be a problem.But also read the AMD drivers having issues...

The RX 5700 is a good GPU and drivers are not affecting everyone the same way, but let's rewind to the part where you said you've already ripped something off the motherboard?

Also, adding an AIO cooler to a GPU might not be the best play if you're still quite new to PC building. Depending on the brand it would invalidate the warranty. And you have a system that's not functional/damaged, so you'd want to fix that before buying more and expensive things.

Are you getting any display on the system now?

Reactions: Zoid

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Ok, no need to panic even though it is unimaginably frustrating. First off I would suggest doing a few little things to see if it can be an easy fix. Pop out the cmos battery on the motherboard for about 5 seconds and put it back in. Unseat all your ram except for 1 stick. Remove your GPU. Also (as I have done it before) make sure your hard drive is plugged into both power and SATA. Also, reference the instruction guide that came with your motherboard to define the beeps, they are actually trying to tell you what is wrong. (along these lines https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029959/)

If none of these are working, you may need to go deeper, another issue I have encountered in the past has been poor grounding. The standoffs I was using were fine, but the screws I had going into the standoffs from the motherboard were conductive and my motherboards anti-static feature detected it and would not power on until I replaced them.

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Your problem is probably with your RAM. While the same brand, you have selected two completely different modules. Doing this often creates stability problems which may be why your PC won't boot properly. Buy a RAM kit or try with just one stick of RAM.

The RX 5700 is a pretty decent card. AMD drivers leave something to be desired but they are getting better as time moves forward.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
The RX 5700 is a good GPU and drivers are not affecting everyone the same way, but let's rewind to the part where you said you've already ripped something off the motherboard?

Also, adding an AIO cooler to a GPU might not be the best play if you're still quite new to PC building. Depending on the brand it would invalidate the warranty. And you have a system that's not functional/damaged, so you'd want to fix that before buying more and expensive things.

Are you getting any display on the system now?
Yes,I ripped off the pcie clip that holds the card.The pcie 4 slot is dead :(.So have plugged the card in the pcie 3 slot.Maybe i've killed the graphics card too :/ idk.The fan rotates though...

Yeah,wont tamper with the gpu as apparently i have lot to learn before i experiment with gpu.But already bought the aio,kraken12 & other things. Yes,you are right.I'll focus first on fixing the wrong assembly i've done and then maybe later other things.

Still no post :(.

If the suggestions above don't help, you might want to look at the returns policies of the stores you bought the components from. If returning the components is still an option, potentially do that and look at getting a prebuild/custom build. Returns may not be possible, depends how generous the policies are / how large any deductions for unboxing and using the items are. And I doubt you could return the motherboard. But worth checking for the rest.

With a custom build PC you could select the components, have someone else build it, and gradually upgrade things over time, which also lets you get more familiar with handling components. That's the route I took before building my own.

Not saying you can't fix this, just that if returns are possible you'll want to establish that before the time window closes so all options are on the table.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Ok, no need to panic even though it is unimaginably frustrating. First off I would suggest doing a few little things to see if it can be an easy fix. Pop out the cmos battery on the motherboard for about 5 seconds and put it back in. Unseat all your ram except for 1 stick. Remove your GPU. Also (as I have done it before) make sure your hard drive is plugged into both power and SATA. Also, reference the instruction guide that came with your motherboard to define the beeps, they are actually trying to tell you what is wrong. (along these lines https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029959/)

If none of these are working, you may need to go deeper, another issue I have encountered in the past has been poor grounding. The standoffs I was using were fine, but the screws I had going into the standoffs from the motherboard were conductive and my motherboards anti-static feature detected it and would not power on until I replaced them.
1.Yes,removed the cmos and put back in. I see the bios screen but i lose the display after 10 seconds and the mobo beeps lighting up the vga led.
2.Removed the ram and kept only 1 ram in the slot.Still VGA error
3.Yes,I tried the boot without the GPU.Then plugged in the next slot. Same issue.
4.It says the graphics card maybe improperly plugged in the slot or check your vga card.
I see that the fans run on the card but no output.Could it be faulty card?
Not sure about the standoffs on the case but they seem to be well grounded.I can see the motherboard is being powered up so cant be that i'm assuming.
Maybe my bruteforce destroyed the motherboard or the card.I panicked when things werent going in the right direction.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
If the suggestions above don't help, you might want to look at the returns policies of the stores you bought the components from. If returning the components is still an option, potentially do that and look at getting a prebuild/custom build. Returns may not be possible, depends how generous the policies are / how large any deductions for unboxing and using the items are. And I doubt you could return the motherboard. But worth checking for the rest.

With a custom build PC you could select the components, have someone else build it, and gradually upgrade things over time, which also lets you get more familiar with handling components. That's the route I took before building my own.

Not saying you can't fix this, just that if returns are possible you'll want to establish that before the time window closes so all options are on the table.
I can return the memory sticks but not sure about the motherboard or graphics card. Motherboard i have broken the clip and may have damaged the board itself :/. VGA card also might be damaged in this process. I could give a try to return it but highly doubt it will be.
Yeah, I guess i should've gone with the custom build but i thought i would succeed and flaunt about it but didnt expect i would fail so miserably.Gosh!..
I'll see what options i have.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Your problem is probably with your RAM. While the same brand, you have selected two completely different modules. Doing this often creates stability problems which may be why your PC won't boot properly. Buy a RAM kit or try with just one stick of RAM.

The RX 5700 is a pretty decent card. AMD drivers leave something to be desired but they are getting better as time moves forward.
Yeah,I'm gonna go with 1 stick of ram module as you & everyone has suggested. Idk,I thought i could use the extra 8gb ram that was lying around but now that cost me more so i'll take your advice.

Yeah always wanted RX5700 but settled for the 580. Thanks for the suggestion,I needed this.

TRENDING THREADS