Question MSI GT75 Expanding Storage Questions

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys. I have an MSI GT75 Laptop, that currently has about 6.5TB of total storage spread across 4 SSD's:

1x 500GB SSD
1x 4TB SSD
2x 1TB SSD (m2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus)

With my pending Stimulus Check, I am thinking about getting 2 2TB m2 SSD's, and have been looking at the following for that:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...ith-v-nand-technology/6347286.p?skuId=6347286

I would be replacing the 2x 1TB SSD's with 2x 2TB SSD's.
I have a few questions before I proceed:

1. Does the 2TB m2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD have the same size dimensions as the 1TB m2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD, just with larger storage capacity? I would be ordering 2 of them online, as they are not available in my local Best Buy Store.

2. I primarily use my Laptop for games. Instead of dealing with moving around games and uninstalling/re-installing them, would it be better and easier to just do a System Reformat? If yes, I would do that before installing the SSD's.

Thoughts and help greatly appreciated

Wow, so I actually had to go find the manual for this one because OMG that's a lot of hard drives for a laptop. First thing you manual gives you two option for storage.
HDD 1 x SATA interface for 2.5” HDD device
SSD (option 1)
2 x M.2 slots, support PCIe or SATA SSD device
1 x M.2 slot, supports PCIe SSD device
SSD (option 2)
2 x M.2 slots, ONLY support Intel® PCIe SSD device

Anyway. Those two M2 NVMe are the same size dimensions. If your not changing the SSD your OS is on you should not have to do a system reformat. One thing to think about is a video breakdown of that laptop shows 3 NVMe slots but the heatsink really only covers two... I would watch the temps.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Wow, so I actually had to go find the manual for this one because OMG that's a lot of hard drives for a laptop. First thing you manual gives you two option for storage.
HDD 1 x SATA interface for 2.5” HDD device
SSD (option 1)
SSD (option 2)
2 x M.2 slots, ONLY support Intel® PCIe SSD device

Anyway. Those two M2 NVMe are the same size dimensions. If your not changing the SSD your OS is on you should not have to do a system reformat. One thing to think about is a video breakdown of that laptop shows 3 NVMe slots but the heatsink really only covers two... I would watch the temps.

Thank you so much for your help and info! I took the case off my laptop and removed heat sync today, and took pics of what it looks like inside where the SSD's go. I did notice that the 500GB SSD I have is indeed Intel brand, and that SSD has the OS installed on it. My thinking is, could I move that Intel SSD to one of the 2 Intel SSD slots, and keep one of the 1TB SSD's? Then remove the other 1TB SSD, and replace that with a 2TB SSD and add another 2TB SSD? I am thinking that I would have to do a System Reformat to make this all work easily, but wonder if I should do Reformat before, or after moving the Intel SSD from where it is to one of the 2 Intel SSD slots (If that is possible). I am attaching some images of what I am working with. Further thoughts and help appreciated :)

Thank you so much for your help and info! I took the case off my laptop and removed heat sync today, and took pics of what it looks like inside where the SSD's go. I did notice that the 500GB SSD I have is indeed Intel brand, and that SSD has the OS installed on it. My thinking is, could I move that Intel SSD to one of the 2 Intel SSD slots, and keep one of the 1TB SSD's? Then remove the other 1TB SSD, and replace that with a 2TB SSD and add another 2TB SSD? I am thinking that I would have to do a System Reformat to make this all work easily, but wonder if I should do Reformat before, or after moving the Intel SSD from where it is to one of the 2 Intel SSD slots (If that is possible). I am attaching some images of what I am working with. Further thoughts and help appreciated :)

My understanding is if you are wanting to move the OS to a different drive than you will most likely have to do a wipe and reinstall.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
My understanding is if you are wanting to move the OS to a different drive than you will most likely have to do a wipe and reinstall.
Thank you for helping me! Would the Intel 500GB SSD I have work in one of the 2 Intel SSD slots? If that SSD does work in one of the Intel SSD slots, would I need to do the reformat? My concern is that there is not a Heat Sync over the Intel SSD slots. Am not sure what the easiest route would be for me.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money today in my Bank Account, and placed order for the 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this Wednesday. Before I proceed with switching out and swapping around my SSD's, I have a few questions about the System Reformat process:

- How should I go about doing the Reformat? What are my options?

- When I ordered my laptop about 3 years ago, it came with a bootable Windows 10 USB. If I use that, do I need to have an OS currently installed on one of the SSDs? Currently, the W10 OS is on the 500GB SSD and I am thinking about putting the OS on one of the 1TB SSD's I already have. For the 3 SSD slots that are under the Heat Sync, I would put the 1TB SSD (with the OS), and the 2 2TB SSD's.

Thoughts and help appreciated :)

TRENDING THREADS