Movies you're watching

Page 9 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zloth

Community Contributor
I watched Wonder Woman 1984 recently. It had a few good bits in it, but mostly it was dumb. People simply didn't act like I think they would act given the circumstances in the movie. The Smithsonian seems to have some jets ready to fly, with enough fuel to get to Egypt and back, too. I'm happy to suspend disbelief for the sake of story, but this one felt like the writers just couldn't be bothered to think beyond the original premise.

Galdot's first Wonder Woman movie was good stuff, but this one really wasn't.

Uncommon Valor 1983, 1h 45m
Gene Hackman
Patrick Swayze
Robert Stack
Mixed bag, this one. If you like Vietnam POW retrieval action movies, then you should like the second half of this. If you like the human drama suffered by POW families, then the first quarter should appeal. The second quarter is in between, gathering and training and bonding a group to do an extraction in Laos.

But even the second half is not well done—there are many better Vietnam action movies. It's mainly a cliche-ridden, poorly directed and edited, utterly predictable ride. Director had done the first Rambo the year before, but didn't do the second, which has a similar plot to this one :unsure:

The cast save the day. They are all good, and I'll watch Gene Hackman read the phonebook for an hour any day.

5/10

Double Jeopardy 1999, 1h 45m
Ashley Judd
Tommy Lee Jones
Bruce Greenwood
Annabeth Gish
If you ignore the plot improbabilities, this is a very enjoyable thriller which rides the twin tropes of trying to prove innocence and mom separated from child.

Cast is fine. Ashley is very good, and Tommy plays Tommy, which really suits him for some reason… and suits me too :) Speaking of Tommy, there are similarities to The Fugitive movie.

7/10

Reactions: Frindis
Prisoners 2013, 2h 33m
Hugh Jackman
Jake Gyllenhaal
Viola Davis
Damn. If this was shorter, it'd be 10/10.

Intense drama about 2 missing young kids, search by parents and lead detective, and potential suspects in the area.

The cast is brilliant, but Hugh stands out in an exceptional performance. It's generally well done, just a few needless scenes adding maybe 30 minutes. No laughs here, it's all dead serious. Compelling.

9/10

Did you know, the cost of making all the Disney Star Wars movies exceeds the profits made by all of them, and that isn't even including marketing costs.

Did you know in one year of business during height of the Original series, Kenner made more money than Disney has on Merchandise in the entire time they have owned Series?

They killed the golden goose. They still haven't made back the 4 billion they paid for the series. I guess they don't deserve a reward for killing it.

Reactions: Brian Boru

IwantPeak

BANNED
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I watched Wonder Woman 1984 recently. It had a few good bits in it, but mostly it was dumb. People simply didn't act like I think they would act given the circumstances in the movie. The Smithsonian seems to have some jets ready to fly, with enough fuel to get to Egypt and back, too. I'm happy to suspend disbelief for the sake of story, but this one felt like the writers just couldn't be bothered to think beyond the original premise.

Galdot's first Wonder Woman movie was good stuff, but this one really wasn't.
Yeah, I totally get what you mean. The first Wonder Woman movie was awesome, but the 1984 one was a bit disappointing. It felt like they didn't put much thought into it.

A Man Called Otto 2022, 2h 6m
Tom Hanks
Mariana Treviño
Rachel Keller
Grumpy old man movie which doesn't wallow in schmalz—in fact, there's dark humor mixed in with the normal kind. It's kind of a coming of age for 60+yos.

Tom doesn't always bring his best, but his A game is in this one for sure. And Mariana—never saw her before—is excellent as the main other.

For once I'm not complaining about the length, that's how much I enjoyed it all :)

8/10

Reactions: Frindis

Watched Matrix Resurrection from 2021 with actors like Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss & Neil Patrick Harris.​

The movie is pretty lackluster and basically feels like a cash grab. Plot: Reeves is trapped again. He tries to hook up with Moss. Harris is the main sitcom villain. Robots, fighting, throwbacks, some more fighting, a cat, a white rabbit, freedom, and then finally more fighting. The end.

I score this movie a 5/10 and that is only because Reeves and Moss star in it with some cool throwbacks.

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
I liked Resurrection! Not as good as the original movies, but definitely fun. I loved the bits at the start where the previous movies were treated as a game (which they kinda were with the Matrix MMO). Seeing what happened to the world was fun, too. I've watched it a couple of times now and will again.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Doesn't count—you like Kojima *spits*
And mah' Kaiju movies! Which reminds me... Godzilla, the King of Monsters from 2019! What do I do with this movie!? There's so much awesome in seeing all the old giant monsters I loved back in the 70's coming back, and so much outright dumb in the movie itself.

"My daughter is out there, we have to take a chopper and a bunch of military guys to go save her!" This in a city that's being torn up?? But hey, this is the hero, and his daughter even has a speaking part. I'm sure she's worth a hundred marines and thousands of not-even-on-camera citizens. There are boatloads of dumb tropes in this movie. But there's also no denying that the monster battles are really, really fun. Which is really exactly what the old Godzilla movies were.

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
And mah' Kaiju movies! Which reminds me... Godzilla, the King of Monsters from 2019! What do I do with this movie!? There's so much awesome in seeing all the old giant monsters I loved back in the 70's coming back, and so much outright dumb in the movie itself.

"My daughter is out there, we have to take a chopper and a bunch of military guys to go save her!" This in a city that's being torn up?? But hey, this is the hero, and his daughter even has a speaking part. I'm sure she's worth a hundred marines and thousands of not-even-on-camera citizens. There are boatloads of dumb tropes in this movie. But there's also no denying that the monster battles are really, really fun. Which is really exactly what the old Godzilla movies were.
I love kaiju movies too! The movie is full of delightful moments with the return of the old giant monsters, but there are also quite a few ridiculous moments.

I had a bit of time spare and one movie that peaked my interest was boiling point. its a 90mins long British drama about top chef Andy Jones, evening service of hell. Andy is already under immense pressure in his personal life before he walks through the door and things just go down hill from there. First health inspector demotes his 5 star hygiene to 3 stars, not enough food is ordered and staff are missing/late etc.

The movie is filmed as if its in one take as we not only get a glimpse of Andy but also the other staff members who are all under pressure and dealing with their own problems. Despite how normal it looks/feels its does get tense as the pressure slowly increases throughout the evening when horrible diners arrive. You get a sense that its all going to boil over or end in some sort of cataclysmic fashion that would verge towards dark humor territory like in say, the office.

But i enjoyed watching it. it wasn't that long and i was glued just waiting for it to all go horribly wrong in some farcical finale or something. top performance's from the cast as it felt natural and really believable. Whilst there is some serious situations and the situation does boil over, its more a simmering pot boiling over and some critics might argue the ending is a bit weak, as it sort of ends in a low key way, like an end of an episode of a drama or something.

Would i recommend it? i would certainly give it a thumbs up. I would certainly recommend you watched it especially now that the Boiling point series is being shown on bbc now. most of the main members of cast return to continue the drama. Will probably watch that soon.

The Adjustment Bureau 2011, 1h 46m
Matt Damon
Emily Blunt
Based on a Philip K Dick story, this is not up to other treatments of his work like Blade Runner, Minority Report or Total Recall. But it's okay, enjoyable and forgettable and as usual, too long.

Cast is fine, Matt has matured well as an actor and Emily plays great with him—in fact, their romance is the best part… not sure if that was the intended effect!

55/100

Heart of Stone 2023, 2h 2m
Gal Gadot
Jamie Dornan
Alia Bhatt
Huh, top 3 in cast all from 'I' countries, what are the chances? :D

All-action mashup of Bond and MI, but lower budget. First time I've seen Gal, and she can lead an action movie. Alia is big in Bollywood, but not credible here. Jamie I've liked since The Fall, but he's only okay here.

Nice locations, some good action, it's total cliché action stuff but entertaining.

6/10

TRENDING THREADS