Monster Energy Supercross 4 Video Walkthrough on Realistic (250 East)

Picking up where I left off after completing my 250 West walkthrough on Realistic, this will be the same of the 250 East career. I'll stick to the same format of describing just the toughest track spots, and what needs be done there to maintain good flow. I've completed 4 of the 9 rounds in the career so far, but the 2nd round being a triple crown makes them near equal in length to the 5 remaining rounds. Once again I'm sticking to the tried and true Chaparral Honda race team. I included just enough footage at the start of the first race so if you pause it, and fast reverse to the beginning, it shows the difficulty mode.

Round 1 Tampa

It's a bit annoying in 250 East that they start you off with probably the hardest track in all the 250 rounds, but at least once you get past it, the rest is comparatively easier. The good thing is I finally found a way to get a more consistent start without being caught by the AI before I could get off that all important 180 right berm to triple after the 1st rhythm section, but it took me a LONG time to figure it out. As before, it requires really good timing, and then instead of arcing into the sharp left going into the holeshot like I used to, I ride near the apex line in a strait shot, then slow to take a very sharp left at the track's edge, to make sure I have good run up distance and take a far left line on the first section. This almost always gives me the necessary on/off to on/off link I was missing before on the 2 tabletops in the 1st section, and usually results in no AI catching me and affecting my 180 right berm to triple jump going into the 2nd section.

That said, about that "took a LONG time to figure it out" bit, I was up very late as a result, tired, and sick of AI bumping me and either negating any possibility of that 180 right berm to triple jump, or making me fall short at an attempt on it. This caused me to out of frustration sometimes stick with less than perfectly timed starts vs restarting, and at times swerve wildly to the inside of the start chute when I thought I had a good enough start to have room to do so. As is often the case with keyboard racing, I swerved harder on this race than intended, and I didn't have the clearance I thought, so I unintentionally knocked poor #12 Shane McElrath off his bike. He'll just have to suck it up though I thought, because the AI ALWAYS have the advantage when contact is made, and more often than not crash me or bump me off track vs me affecting them, including head on sometimes when they go wildly off track. One AI caught me just before the 180 right to triple jump, but fortunately he kept his line through the berm and allowed me just enough room on the outside to make the triple.

As I've said before, the other nasty parts of this track to hit consistently are the very subtle double jumps going into the 3rd and 4th sections, and the deep sand section at the very end of the track just before returning to the holeshot line leading into the 1st section. I had a near catastrophic crash in the deep sand on the 4th lap where it looked like I was trying to pull off a nose wheelie stunt. For the most part I was consistent enough on the subtle double jumps, but missed the one going into the 4th section on the 5th lap that took my lead back down below 1 sec after missing the big air triple. As a result, instead of progressing my lead to the 2 sec mark or so at the end, I wound up with a lead of just under .7 sec at the final time check, and a 2nd fastest lap time by just under 1.2 sec.

The highlight for me though was after that bad 5th lap, I tried a daring and difficult triple to an on/off on a tabletop at the start of the 4th section on the 6th lap to make sure the AI didn't catch me, and it worked well (5:32 mark). I had been experimenting with this earlier before the session became long and frustrating, and twice had hit it enough times to build up a 1.8 sec lead, on par for a 2 sec lead at the end, then I'd have a catastrophic crash and restart.

Round 2 Arlington

This is a MUCH easier track than Tampa, and the good thing is, it's toughest rhythm section is forgivable with lack of precision going into it, as you can adjust and take it more than one way. The first task is getting through the 1st section after the holeshot with minimal or no AI bumping, then riding up the dragon's back at the start of the 2nd section in neutral position to make sure you drop off it with enough momentum to clear the 1st small jump below it, and allow enough momentum to hit the big air triple. The next task in the 3rd section is making a subtle double jump after a 90 right to hit another triple. After another 90 right into the aforementioned toughest section, I usually start with a subtle double to double all the way through it, but if the first double doesn't look precise enough, I'll let off a bit on the next jump and use the1st tabletop as an on/off, and finish with 2 doubles and a triple. I used this method on most laps in the 3rd race, which happened to be my best result on lead, and especially lap time, so it may be a bit faster and I may use it exclusively in the 450 career.

At the final time checks I averaged a just over 3.7 sec lead, and averaged a fastest lap that was just under .47 sec slower than the AI's fastest. On the 3rd race though I barely missed the fastest lap time by just .039 sec.

Round 3 Atlanta

This is another fairly easy track, even if you have an awkward, "excuse me, can I get by you" start, like I did here. It DOES have about 6 spots where lack of precision can slow you or even cause a crash, but it's really just a matter of some muscle memory to get the feel of it. The 1st is managing a good double jump out of the180 left berm at the start of the 2nd section, to just clear a fairly large med jump. The 2nd is making sure you let off gas at the end of the whoops on the 3rd section, and coast over the micro short flat and half dragon's back, taking the 90 left at the end of this section mid track. This is to avoid the Tuff Blocks that are placed well inside of the apex pole, and just inside the wall of barriers on the outside where you cross the start chute. The 3rd is making sure you don't try to take the 90 left over the bridge jump too sharply at it's apex, which can cause you to slip and crash awkwardly, and to not over jump it, which messes up your momentum going into the finish line jump after it.

The 4th after clearing the finish line jump, which should give you enough momentum to do so, is coasting into the 90 left tabletop turn jump at the start of the split track section after it, to allow getting just enough distance to clear it. The 5th is making sure to slow just enough near the end of the deep sand section to take the right turn at the end of it on the flatter outside half of it. This means having to hit the turn on a narrow section of sand, but it allows for good momentum. The 6th and final spot is after hitting a semi big air triple after the deep sand section, making sure you just coast through the double jump after it, to not overshoot the sharp right going into and coming out of the bridge tunnel. The potential crash spots being the 90 left at the end of the whoops, and the sharp right going into the bridge tunnel. Less often the double off the 180 left going into the 2nd section, and the 90 left going into the bridge jump are also spots you can crash if too wild.

At the final time check I had a lead of just over 5.9 sec, with the fastest lap time by just over .97 sec.

Round 4 Daytona

This track is getting easier for me since I started using the shorter right lane on the 2nd of it's two split track sections, but I'm also finding on Realistic mode there's usually at least one AI that puts in a very fast final lap. Again, there are about 6 spots where technique and precision are key. The 1st is the wide, sharp 180 left exiting the long 1st strait going into the deep sand section. This turn is deceiving, as it seems flat, but has a lot of little ripple bumps that can affect how precisely you take it. On keyboard it helps to lean hard left and coast with subtle steer taps. The 2nd is how you exit the deep sand section after taking a sharp 180 right out of it. I like to go deep into the 180 left turn after it, then swing all the way around sharply to make sure I have a long strait run up going into the big air triple after, which gives you good momentum going into the long, fast whoop section after it.

The 3rd is how you take the big 180 left berm after that long, fast whoop section. I find it best to let off the gas at the end of the whoops just before entering it, stay right and coast a high, gradual arc into it, then accelerate out of it from it's mid point. If done right this should allow precise landings on the triple/triple/triple after without having to weight back to make each jump, meaning less air time. The 4th is using the left lane on the first split, coasting into the sharp 180 right going into it, and subtly tapping gas going to the sharp 180 left coming out of it. The 5th is going into the next long strait via a subtle set of 4 back to back double jumps, landing the 2 tabletops on their front end, and exiting by hitting the downslope of the last small jump, and weight back accelerating off it and over the bumpy deep sand after, then leaning forward coming out of it to avoid an out of control wheelie, and weight back accelerating as you land the small loft off the big rise.

This brings you to the final and most tricky spot where precision and momentum here can mean the difference between winning and losing. After a good deal of speed coming down off that rise, you need to brake early well before you see the yellow Tuff Blocks so you can slowly and precisely line up for a sharp left up over a short, steep rise. This is a narrow entrance to an even narrower track split that descends into a sharp right. The key is lining up the angle you approach the entrance at, as the angle of track after it, which bends very subtly to the right, is blind from your view. The trick is to take the left at it's very apex, and center yourself between the blue Tuff Blocks on the right edge of the entrance, and the abrupt drop off at the left of it. It's kind of scary, because the ideal is to is to loft up just enough at the top of the entrance, then angle subtly right in the air to be lined up just right for the decent as you land. Proper speed and angle going in is crucial though, as you can easily slide down into the lower left spit if going too fast, or wash out on the steep bank on the right if you take the right too tight. You want to be able to approach the sharp right on the descent with enough momentum to coast through it, then accelerate out of it with enough speed to jump the gap to the sort of saddle shaped rising tabletop after it.

On a side note, Enzo Lopes is an up and coming rider in AMA Supercross. He had one of the faster qualifying times in this weekend's first round at Anaheim 1, and is getting closer and closer to finishing on the podium. I mention him because he started this Daytona race in 3rd, and wound up right on my tail in the final lap after I merely didn't hit that 180 left berm out of the long, fast whoop section with a smooth arc. I wouldn't say I cased the landings on the triples after so much as just had to weight back off the jumps to land them (I did miss the 3rd triple though), yet he still closed the gap on me pretty fast. However he took the 2nd track split on the longer left track, allowing me to pull ahead enough to salvage the win. At the final time check I had a barely more than .1 sec lead, and had the fastest lap time by a mere .045 sec.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
This is rounds 5 through 9, and the conclusion of the 250 East career. These are easier tracks than those of the first 4 rounds, so my goal was to average a 5 sec lead at the final time check.

Round 5 Salt Lake

The only real tricky spot on this track is managing a triple/triple off a 180 left berm in the 2nd rhythm section. I used to struggle with hitting it consistently, but can now hit it pretty much every lap. The key is using the full height of the 180 berm as a steep ramp to launch into it, and I find it doesn't matter if I get to the top of it pretty slowly and deliberately. This avoids having to rely on a wide, smoothly arced line at the top of the berm with good momentum, which is far harder, especially on keyboard.

At the final time check I had a lead of just over 5.6 sec, but my fastest lap was just under .2 sec slower than the fastest AI lap.

Round 6 Salt Lake

The only tricky part of this track is landing the double/double/triple/double combo in the 2nd rhythm section, which is a LOT easier if you hit the first double well. Again, I had struggled before on hitting this consistently, but this time I managed to hit it every lap.

At the final time check I had a lead of just over 5 sec, and the fastest lap by just over .2 sec.

Round 7 Salt Lake

The main tricky part of this track is hitting the 4th rhythm section with good flow. I usually do it via on/offs on both it's tabletops, but the nice thing is it's forgiving enough to where if you get a bit sloppy landing the 1st tabletop (like I did on the 1st lap), you can go for a more subtle jump over the large med jump midway through this section and use it's downslope to get enough momentum to land on the downslope of the 2nd tabletop and manage a triple at the end.

At the final time check I had a lead of just under 5.5 sec, with the fastest lap by just under .2 sec.

Round 8 Salt Lake

This is a very short and easy track, and two of it's three rhythm sections are mundanely slow and easy, as you pretty much have to double all the way through them. So I decided on the 3rd rhythm section to make it a bit more challenging by scrubbing it's big air triple each lap, which at times made for a slightly off angle landing.

At the final time check I had a lead of just under 4.4 sec, less than 5 sec no doubt due to the shortness of the track and it being simple enough for the AI to not falter. Once again I had the fastest lap, this time by just over .35 sec.

Round 9 Salt Lake

This track has about 4 tricky spots, hitting the 2nd and 4th rhythm sections with good flow, coming out of the 4th with enough momentum to nail the big air triple in the 5th, and coming out of the 6th section with enough momentum to finish the lap fast on the whoops. Though a bit sloppy at times, I had far more consistency this time than before.

At the final time check I managed a new personal best lead, even compared to the 450, at just over 7 sec, and the fastest lap by just under 1.5 sec. This means my average final time check lead was just over 5.5 sec, mission accomplished.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS