monopoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is funny to me how many of the board games I used to play as a kid when we were bored and stuck inside, are now video games.

Still no Kingmaker - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingmaker_(board_game) - but a lot of the others are. I still wonder why... we had to play them, we had no choice.

Even as a kid there would have been better board games than Monopoly. Most games are better than Monopoly. With just a deck of cards you can already play dozens of games that are better than Monopoly.

Monopoly was literally created to be a bad game experience. It boggles the mind that it is somehow still popular.

There were worse games than Monopoly to have to play
Mouse trap which is probably hard to recreate as a PC game
Ludo - OMG, its online.... why people?
RISK - which I know is online already
UNO - which is also online.

You have 10000's of video games and people want to play these.

Although, it depends on age of person as some just want to recreate youth.

Some games from my youth strangely not remade now

Reactions: Pifanjr
There were worse games than Monopoly to have to play
Mouse trap which is probably hard to recreate as a PC game
Ludo - OMG, its online.... why people?
RISK - which I know is online already
UNO - which is also online.

You have 10000's of video games and people want to play these.

Although, it depends on age of person as some just want to recreate youth.

Some games from my youth strangely not remade now

You take that back! Mouse Trap is way better than Monopoly. Setting up chain reactions is always fun and is made even better by screwing people over while doing it.

Ludo, or at least the similar Dutch game "mens erger je niet", on the other hand is absolutely the worst board game ever.

Risk is okay, although it very much depends on who you play with. The biggest downside is that it takes forever, even after it's become obvious who will win. The Lord of the Rings Risk board game improves on that by setting a turn limit.

Uno is just something to occupy your hands with while you talk with your fellow players.

One of the best board games of my youth was Labyrinth, which doesn't seem to be available in digital version either.

Reactions: Zloth
Admittedly my only memory of Mouse trap is from playing it at my Grandmothers when I was a kid, and that was so long ago we aren't even sure what decade it was. So I haven't played it for most of my life

No, RISK isn't long, Long is when it takes a day to set the board up. My dad played War games like the one below,

When it takes 30 minutes to have 1 turn, you know its long

Makes me remember the past. I wonder if we still have that anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr
Yeah - not like a serious card game!

We had a Dutch variant of that as well, though ours was about biking. It's better than Uno purely because it gives more opportunity to screw people over.

Actually, I just remembered I got one later that was the same game, but about the internet. Not sure why anyone thought that giving me the same game in a different theme was a good idea.

Admittedly my only memory of Mouse trap is from playing it at my Grandmothers when I was a kid, and that was so long ago we aren't even sure what decade it was. So I haven't played it for most of my life

No, RISK isn't long, Long is when it takes a day to set the board up. My dad played War games like the one below,

When it takes 30 minutes to have 1 turn, you know its long

Makes me remember the past. I wonder if we still have that anywhere.

I'd love to try a proper war game some time, but I doubt I'll have the time or room for one any time soon.

To be clear, I don't mind long games. My wife an I bought the third edition of Twilight Imperium instead of the fourth edition on purpose, because we didn't want a watered down experience. It takes about 8 hours, with 3 experienced players.

The difference between Risk and Twilight Imperium (TI) is that it's far easier to bounce back in TI (assuming you don't play a three player game where two players team up to kill the third one. No I'm not salty about anything...)

We also have the Game of Thrones board game, which can easily take 8 hours as well, especially if you get really into it and start making secret alliances during the game.

Reactions: Zloth
I can't believe that it only hit me last year when on holiday but I'm not a Monopoly fan but family/friends insist on playing it. I now deliberately buy every property I land on and go bust VERY quickly (then act all annoyed) meaning I can sip my G&T whilst the rest continue to waste their time procrastinating etc!

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
Monopoly i actually enjoy as i know which colors to aim for which makes it much more likely to win and I also have a girlfriend who cannot handle losing and will shout and quit. So I actually have a real good laugh watching her do her stuff hahahah

Reactions: Rinidwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS