Question Mid-Week Question: When mousewheel scrolling, do you prefer a clicky wheel or a freespinning one?

I asked this in our work Slack channel and opinions were strong. Heated, even!

Do you like a clicky mousewheel, or one that spins freely while scrolling? My mouse has a button that lets me switch between a clicky spin and a free spin, but I 100% of the time have it on clicky spin.

How about you? Let me know which you prefer, and why, by Wednesday morning-ish!

Reactions: randyl and Frindis
Good question! I really like to have a clicky mousewheel when I am browsing the web. I just got used to hearing the sound and it helps a bit knowing how fast/slow to scroll if that makes sense. When playing a game I seldom use a mousewheel, as using the keyboard is for the majority of scenarios way faster.

Reactions: IndecentLouie
I think I prefer clicky, my current one is clicky and it feels nice having this feeling of making an impact during the scroll.
Nothing against a smooth scroll but as Sweet Dee would say - "clickity clackity, clickity clackity", you can't really argue with that logic.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Clicky wheel here... in fact I'd forgotten all about smooth ones, don't think I've used one since I was at uni and now having flashbacks to just spinning it hard and letting pages scroll (before people realised walls of content don't really work.

I don't think I've ever considered one preferential to the other though I suppose I have mostly used the clicky ones. I did have a lot of fun with the Logitech G500 toggle button. Spinning the wheel in the flywheel mode was entertaining if just to see how long it took to spin down.

I prefer the clicky ones. The smooth ones make me more disoriented during scrolling. With the clicky ones I know exactly how much the page is going to scroll up or down with each click.

I suppose that's mostly a matter of what you're used to though.

i like a clicky mouse wheel. It feels more tactile and i can be more precise when scrolling down windows. A free spinning one feels like its broken to me. My mouse at work allows me to switch between the 2 and yeah, definitely like a bit of resistance to my scrolling.

TRENDING THREADS