Max ram confusion, can someone explain please.

Hello

my setup is in my signature.

I was under the impression that my motherboard max ram is 64GB. According to the website and cpu-z I can have max 128gb… I am completely confuse.

I am looking to upgrade my ram (add extra), I was going to get 1 16Gb version of what I already have, then a couple months later I was going to get the second one, would my pc run okay with 3 ram modules?

my setup is in my signature.
Sig space specs can and will change over time, rendering this thread and subsequent suggestions moot to the person in the same boat as you're in now. It's with that in mind, why we ask for users to include the specs to their system in the body of the thread.

That being said, for the sake of the community, here are your specs;
Motherboard @ ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory @ Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage @ SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD + 500GB HHD
CPU @ AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Case @ Corsair SPEC-04 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power @ Corsair VS Series VS550 ATX Power Supply
GPU @ XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTR XXX Video Card
Monitor/TV @
43UM7000PLA

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Its best idea to buy the ram amount you want in total at one time. If you want 64gb of ram, buy a set of 64gb of ram.

Mixing sticks, even if they say they are the same brand and same timings, isn't guaranteed to work.
Sets are made up of sticks tested to work with each other
Individual sticks aren't tested to work with anything else.
Mixing sets/sticks can lead to errors. Also, XMP not guaranteed to work with mixed sticks.

max capacity is 128gb - https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/fatal1ty b450 gaming k4/index.asp#Specification
Its a common max on most motherboards now.

Reactions: Lutfij and Frindis
Okay, so why does my manual say it’s 64gb max, and review sites and videos also say this, did they upgrade it, or maybe a bios update?

I am autistic and I have things pop into my head completely randomly, I have a lot going on my pc at once, and at times I find it slow… by that I mean I have maybe 15 apps open, maybe 250 tabs on chrome, video editing, gaming and web work…

I planned to get all my ram slots up high as possible, I will replace the cpu and gpu in 2-3 years when COVID dies right down… (plan on going away first).

so, I have 2x8gb now, if I got 2x16 soon, then I should have a smoother faster experience right?

would I put the higher ram into the current slots and the 2x8 in the non used atm slots?

would it be better to wait 5-6 weeks and get 2x32gb ram?

by mixed ram, it’s paired right? So I can have say 2x8 and 2x16?

You know, Asrock could be a little more clear
Motherboard website says - Max. capacity of system memory: 128GB - https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/fatal1ty b450 gaming k4/index.asp#Specification
motherhood manual says - Max. capacity of system memory: 64GB - https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4.pdf

they can't both be right.

i don't see anything in bios updates but its possible.
Why would the specs on Website show double what manual shows?
I can see 128gb memory kits on ebay for board but i wouldn't buy them.

I might have to dig into this

might be CPU related
@Lutfij
Do you know what they mean by slots here? is that 2 out of 4 slots? or dual channel? (I was looking at Matisse qvl)
some of the sets they tested are 128gb sets but its misleading as some are 2 or 4 sticks of an 8 stick set.
given biggest stick size they tested is 32gb and they only has 2 slots used, could be its 64gb.

I don't like contradictions, especially on the same web site.

Last edited:
I realize this isn't quite what you're asking, but I would say play it safe and just go with 64GB, and save 128GB for some future upgrade down the line with a mobo/cpu combo that doesn't muddle the issue.

Now lets see, Gskill say they have tested 128gb

Crucial meanwhile are saying 64gb

Its been speculated that the difference could be a BIOS update that allowed 32gb stick usage.

Really, I don't know. I would ask Asrock forums as this must have been asked about before - https://forum.asrock.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=12&title=amd-motherboards

Reactions: Brian Boru
so, I have 2x8gb now, if I got 2x16 soon, then I should have a smoother faster experience right?

would I put the higher ram into the current slots and the 2x8 in the non used atm slots?

would it be better to wait 5-6 weeks and get 2x32gb ram?

by mixed ram, it’s paired right? So I can have say 2x8 and 2x16?

i missed this, knowing how much you can install overshadowed how much you wanted

Mixed ram
Any ram not sold in a set. 2 or more different sticks or sets.
Sets
Ram is identical to each other. Sets can have 2, 4 or 8 sticks in them. Sold in the same package.
sticks in that set are only tested to work with other sticks in that set.
Individual sticks
Single sticks aren't tested to run with any other sticks, its luck if they will run at right speed and timings with another stick.

The more non matched sticks you put into a system, the more chances of BSOD or errors you didn't have before, starting.

if you want 64gb of ram, buy a set of either 4 x 16gb or 2 x 32gb as they should work. It is the safest option** and may work out faster in long run as no need to replace memory that doesn't get along with the other sticks.
If you buy 2 single sticks from the same shop on same day and they both have same specs, there is probably a good chance they are using the same memory chips inside and same timings.
Buying 2 single sticks on different days may not match up. they may have different memory on them.
Not all memory stick makers make their own memory. Many seem to actually use Micron and Samsung, I think Crucial use their own.

I have helped one person who had a board with 8 slots and who had 128gb of mixed ram in his PC. It worked for him but its not a guarantee. He just thought he had more ram than he did.

**I feel I need to mention you can just get bad sticks, brand new sticks can be broken, and need replacement but the odds are small, just possible. I had to return ram when making this PC as first set was creating BSOD. At least its free to replace.

Last edited:
So, my pc says this, using the CPU-z

DMI Physical Memory Array
locationMotherboard
usageSystem Memory
correctionNone
max capacity128 GB
max# of devices4

So, I am using slot 2 and 4, with 8GB RAM in each, I was thinking of adding more RAM to my PC, but I came across the ASRock website where it says max 128GB, and reviews saying max is 64.

I was going to buy 1x16GB this weekend, and buy another 1x16 about 10days later. You guys have said, this isn't really a good idea.

My question is, now is adding RAM to slot 1 and 3... would I need to buy 4 new modules or can I get 2x16 or 2x32 for slots 1 and 3 and keep the 2x8 in slot 2 and 4... or switch things around, so I would put the 2x16 or 2x32 in slots 2 and 4 and use the 2x8 in slots 1 and 3?

My question is, now is adding RAM to slot 1 and 3... would I need to buy 4 new modules
4 new matched modules is the safest option. Lowest chance of creating new problems for yourself. Its what I would do even though it costs more and leaves you with spare ram.

or can I get 2x16 or 2x32 for slots 1 and 3 and keep the 2x8 in slot 2 and 4.
You can do this but you might find you need to return the new ram as it causes errors when used with the old sticks.

I am just trying to save you time.

how you arrange the ram is up to you, I don't think it matters which channel the ram is in.

Another idea that has come up regarding max ram confusion on the board is the manual is wrong. They may have edited another one to create the manual and it may have had 64gb as max. Most B450 had 128gb as max.
I would believe CPU Z as its getting its info from the board.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS