Marvel's Spider-Man Remaster - Port and Gameplay Experiences

Add your experiences if you've been playing.

So far I think the port is really well done. Another homerun for Sony. On my laptop with the following specs:

RTX 2080 Max Q
i7 9750H
32 GB RAM 3200
1080p

I turned everything on max, including ray tracing, and was getting 40 fps. When you consider the ray tracing and that I had everything at max distance, which is tough on a laptop's CPU, I think that's pretty darn good.

When I turned the ray tracing options down to High from Very High, I got about 64 fps, and when I turned ray tracing off entirely, I was getting 87 fps.

Here are the graphics options. Everything but FOV is at max:

spider-options.png

Dynamic resolution, or whatever they call it, is available. I didn't try it. Every time in the past that I've tried it it made my graphics look mushy.

Gameplay is fun so far. Swinging through the city is very easy, although I did look drunk the first minute or so, and combat is very quick, as you would expect playing as Spider-Man.

Through the first boss fight combat consists of:

1) Left click to punch
2) Hold Left click to punch someone up into the air
3) With someone in the air, press "F" to web them and slam them down to the ground
4) At other times, "F" to web someone in the distance and either bring them close to you or the other way around, just depending
5) Spam "E" to cocoon someone in a web so you can go beat them up. To get to them faster, press "F"
6) Aim at an object and press and hold "Q" to web it and sling it at your enemies.
7) When your spidey sense goes off, or whenever you damn well feel like it, press "L Ctrl" to dodge
8) When your action bar fills up, you can do a keypress that shows up over your enemies heads to do a 1 shot knock out. I don't remember what key it was because
9) Alternatively, you can press 1 and use your action bar to heal.

There are more complicated things you can do, like webbing someone, shooting towards them with the "F" button then sliding through their legs by hitting L Ctrl.

The action scene at the end of the boss fight was a bunch of QTE's, so be aware of that.

That's all I remember. I just started and am not that good at it yet. I died twice, but who's counting?

Difficulties range from being immortal to Hard and can be changed at any time. If that dude killed me one more time, I was going immortal on his....

Much later edit: Wow, I had to correct about a dozen grammar issues. I need a nap.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to get this game, but I worry it's another one of those that doesn't play well on keyboard. After watching a couple videos of people playing it on keyboard though, I think I might be able to handle it. I'd be happy if I could just beat it on the Amazing (Normal) difficulty mode.
I didn't notice it being particularly difficult on keyboard, and I struggle with my left hand. I did map some things to my extra mouse buttons, but didn't end up using them. I only died because it took me awhile to figure out the best way to use my abilities when you have a bunch of enemies who are spread out and shooting at you.

I didn't notice it being particularly difficult on keyboard, and I struggle with my left hand. I did map some things to my extra mouse buttons, but didn't end up using them. I only died because it took me awhile to figure out the best way to use my abilities when you have a bunch of enemies who are spread out and shooting at you.
What difficulty mode are you playing on? I assume the default Amazing setting?

Reactions: Pifanjr
None of those will hurt your eyes. They can do terrible harm to your artistic sensibilities, however.
I can see you're nowhere near my age, I beg to differ. I have enough problems with my 64 yr old eyes as it is without all that strain.

Even just the slight motion blur experienced at long intervals of an LCD panel leaves my vision a bit blurry for a while, and the motion blur effect in games is even worse. While that may not translate to long term harm, likely mostly because I limit my exposure when affected that way, it certainly affects short term acuity thereafter.

Last edited:
Film grain strength?? Are there a lot of flashbacks or something??
Yeah I was going to say, I would never crank Film Grain and Motion Blur to Max like Zed is, or enable Chromatic Aberration for that matter. I have to protect my old eyes. :cool:
No flashbacks so far. I'm not playing with those settings. I just wanted everything on max to figure out what my FPS would be that way. The only reason FOV isn't max (and putting more stuff on screen) is because it was distorted and giving me a headache. I was playing while getting my reading instead of just standing in one spot and spinning.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I like performance comparisons. There's a service in my country that specializes in them. Almost every big release is covered. I believe that I posted some results from this site when Elex 2 came out. Well, here we go with Spider-Man then. It's in Polish, but the charts are self-explaining. The port is very good, but we have to remember that it's a 4 year old game:

1080p, RT off, DLSS off:

1080p, RT on, DLSS off:

1080p, RT on, DLSS on (quality setting):

As for the test scenario, it was recorded during fast movement, so the results should be quite accurate. I'm not sure however whether the cemetery takes full advantage from ray tracing and I'm afraid that frames may drop when it kicks in.

I like performance comparisons. There's a service in my country that specializes in them. Almost every big release is covered. I believe that I posted some results from this site when Elex 2 came out. Well, here we go with Spider-Man then. It's in Polish, but the charts are self-explaining. The port is very good, but we have to remember that it's a 4 year old game:

1080p, RT off, DLSS off:

1080p, RT on, DLSS off:

As for the test scenario, it was recorded during fast movement, so the results should be quite accurate. I'm not sure however whether the cemetery takes full advantage from ray tracing and I'm afraid that frames may drop when it kicks in.
I don't get it. I was swinging through the city when I got my readings--buildings with glass, cars, pedestrians, etc. I thought it would be quite demanding, but my numbers are way better than theirs. My mobile 2080 GPU only got 10 less fps than their desktop 3090? That's insane. Now that I think about it, when I do that comparison benchmark, it does say my system is in the top 3 percent for similar systems, but that should still only be a small variance.. The graveyard must be torturous on your system for some reason. Either that or the city is so well optimized that it's a bad comparison. I might make a video tomorrow showing my system info and me playing the game with the fps up. I have no idea when I'll get to the graveyard, I'm completely baffled.

1080p, RT off, DLSS off:

1080p, RT on, DLSS off:

I figured it out and made a note in the original post. That was really, really dumb of me. I know how these things work, so no excuses. I should have been swinging near the ground instead of near the roofs of the buildings. Huge, huge difference. Duh......

Hey Zed, how the heck do you zoom in and out when in camera mode on keyboard/mouse? I've read you have to focus it via zoom until you get a green indicator, but I see no way to zoom.
I've only played a few minutes since the other day, so I don't have the camera yet. Planning on playing a ton tomorrow. If I get the camera and it tells me how to do it, I'll let you know. In the meantime, have you tried holding right click? That zooms in when you are doing other stuff.

I've only played a few minutes since the other day, so I don't have the camera yet. Planning on playing a ton tomorrow. If I get the camera and it tells me how to do it, I'll let you know. In the meantime, have you tried holding right click? That zooms in when you are doing other stuff.
Yeah that was it, and I discovered it just experimenting before checking back in here. I'm getting to where I can now sometimes 100% the enemy Base side missions, the ones with several waves, but I have to carefully pick my way through, and do a lot of Spidey swings around the perimeter just to be able to heal. Still feeling woefully inadequate, but it's fun and there's a lot more upgrades I can do.

My gameplay experience is nothing because I think a re-released sony marvel game gets too much attention and is bein charged too much for its minor improvements and doesnt look all that impressive from the videos/streams ive watched (i tried to get into it but it being marvel is probably whats holding me back). Thanks for cussing me out while reading this :)

My gameplay experience is nothing because I think a re-released sony marvel game gets too much attention and is bein charged too much for its minor improvements and doesnt look all that impressive from the videos/streams ive watched (i tried to get into it but it being marvel is probably whats holding me back). Thanks for cussing me out while reading this :)
Maybe it's the videos and streams you're watching that don't look good, not the game itself. Most people still upload 1080p vids to YouTube, and most don't get enough views to qualify for YT's VP9 processing, which looks FAR better. This is why I usually look for 4K clips if I want to judge how good a game looks (although 1440p can suffice on any display 32" or less, because that res gets VP9 too). I was running it at 1440p DSR for a while, and it looked really good, but I dropped it to my native 1080p due to performance issues in some spots. It still looks very good even at 1080p though. I may try 1440p DSR again after changing a few settings suggested in Digital Foundry's graphics settings guide though, and also disable Vsync, which in itself could be the main performance culprit.

As far as price goes though, some may think it's not justified just for a remaster, but this is also ported to PC, which requires a lot more attention to detail. Maybe have a look at Alex Battaglia's guide on Spider-Man Remastered. It shows in great detail how much more sophisticated the PC version of the game is vs PS5 in visual quality and settings options.

Last edited:
If we all thought alike, there'd be no reason to communicate.

For me, I'm very happy for all these great re-releases. I don't have a Playstation and never will, so this is the only way I'll get to play these awesome games.

Yeah that was it, and I discovered it just experimenting before checking back in here. I'm getting to where I can now sometimes 100% the enemy Base side missions, the ones with several waves, but I have to carefully pick my way through, and do a lot of Spidey swings around the perimeter just to be able to heal. Still feeling woefully inadequate, but it's fun and there's a lot more upgrades I can do.
If you had seen me fighting on day 1 you probably would have laughed. I was all over the place, going as fast as I could. It was bedlam. Now I'm concentrating on slowing down and using better technique and strategy.

If you had seen me fighting on day 1 you probably would have laughed. I was all over the place, going as fast as I could. It was bedlam. Now I'm concentrating on slowing down and using better technique and strategy.
I'm waiting until I can upgrade my Spidey drone so it's more effective. I'm also getting a lot better at my stealth attacks, but unlike Batman games, it's far harder to remain or have your kills remain unseen in this game. I do have the Iron suit that has 4 huge arms though, makes it a lot easier to deal with the big guys. I have my Web Shooter near maxed now though, and I like to hide around corners and when an enemy rushes me, I web him up, swing him around, and paste him to a wall. :LOL: