Left handed

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
Is it just me, or are most, if not all, games adjusted for righthandeness?

WASD with my right hand? Impossible, it's just not wired that way,

How then, when I'm also supposed to control a mouse, with my left hand, am I supposed to use keys like:
"E" to pick up,( I use "DEL" for that)
"F" to drop stuff, (I use "INS" for that)

(My pinkie gets hurt trying it right-handed)

I like to use the cursor keys to move around, it just seems natural.

My left mouse button ought to select or aim, and the right mouse button should perform the action.
But between games this varies, and sometimes it (the game) doesn't even work if you stray from the "default" buttonassignments.

Always when switching from TR or ROTTR to SOTTR and RDR2,
I have to spent more than an hour to re-adjust to using controls that should have worked straightaway.

This gets on my nerves, hence this post.

[Moderator edit—unhelpful sentence]

After all, It shouldn't be so difficult to "unignore" lefthandedness, should it?

And even then, RDR2 seems to remap the keys semi-randomly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, if the key mapping isn't working right then that's certainly a bug. Devs should be taken to task for that. (Tutorials should change to match, too, but that isn't as easy sometimes. WAY too hard if they've got actors actually telling you what to press.)

I'm dubious about your "not wired that way." Back in days of yore, before the mouse got popular, we all used IJKM to do movement instead of WASD, or sometimes the cursor arrow keys or keypad. That means right handed people were using their right hands to do movement, then all switched to using the left hand. It was annoying for a while as you went back and forth between games using different setups but everyone managed. That shouldn't have been possible if people were wired one way or the other.

Still, your left hand is busy doing the mouse so you would be better off mapping to the right side somewhere. If you've got an ergonomic keyboard, typing on the left side with the right hand would be ugly - definitely need to re-map in that case.

Reactions: Joeli072
Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
I'm dubious about your "not wired that way."

It is physically impossible to -righthandedly- press the "e" or the "f" key when you are moving "up" ('W') and right ('D') with your right hand.

try it...

therefore I preferably like to use the cursor keys, with the ins,del,home,end.pgup,pgdn island as actionbuttons.

I know about the ijkm-combo, but it never got on, did it?

Why? Same reasen that wasd has for left-handedness: physically impossible.

Zloth

Community Contributor
It is physically impossible to -righthandedly- press the "e" or the "f" key when you are moving "up" ('W') and right ('D') with your right hand.
I'm saying that the left hand and right hand can handle movement just as well, regardless of whether you are right or left handed.

I know about the ijkm-combo, but it never got on, did it?
Yes it did, for years. It faded when the mouse showed up.

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
Have you ever actually tried to press the "E" or the "F" key, whilst holding "W' and "D" with your right hand?

If you succeed, you must be an alien.

As I said: It is physically impossible.

Maybe you missed that?

ijkm besides, when I was young the cursor keys already existed, and they seem more natural and logical to me, whenever I need to move a character in a game.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS