Latest GPU for old Asus X99 Board?

Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
Wondering if any of the latest RTX cards are compatible with my setup.
I was looking at RTX 2070 S or RTX 3070 but I'm guessing everything's moved on since I built this thing.
I'm way out of the loop.
Just want to upgrade to the best GPU for this system as it still serves well.

Any advice appreciated.

CPU: i7-5820k
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1
Memory: 32GB
Storage: Samsung SSD 500GB
Video Card: GTX 970
Case:
Power Supply:

Hi and welcome :)

PCI-E is backwards compatible across all generations. You wont currently lose anything from PCI-E 3.0 vs PCI-E 4.0 on todays GPU's. Your CPU is still not too bad with 6 cores and 12 threads, although obvioulsy slower than the latest processors.

The rest depends on your PSU, if you have a good quality 650w + unit then you should be fine with either a 3070 or 2070. I wouldnt have any other worries about using that tier of card with your current setup at all.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
Thanks so much for the reply. That's really good to know.
I really appreciate it. A new lease of life for the old beast for a while .
Now for the tricky bit. Sourcing one of those GPU's for a decent price.

Many thanks

Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
...Just out of interest...what CPU upgrade could I realistically fit in there for this board without making it a false economy?
Again, I'm so out of the loop..

It will take either 6000 series Broadwell E or Haswell E chips the same as you already have. You dont get much of an upgrade in single thread performance from going to Broadwell E, under 10% at the same clocks. Haswell E was known to overclock further making it a wash really, if you were to overclock of course.

Broadwell E does have a 10 Core version or theres the 5960X which is 8 core, but games arent really using more than 6 still. I would save the money towards a new board and chip down the road.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Apr 17, 2022
Visit site
Thank you again for the concise and encouraging advice.
The games I play are not cutting edge so I'll leave the CPU and I will probably go for an RTX 3060 Ti because the budget is right and there's probably enough of a noticeable improvement to make it worth while until I invest in a new system.
Really appreciate your time.

TRENDING THREADS