[Laptop] "Gaming" Laptop under 1500 dollars

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi

So to spill the whole story, I have been using a PC as a primary source of games for over a decade and a PS for their exclusives... But recently I've started to question the use of the PC... I've used it mainly for online FPS (mainly overwatch) for the past few years

And this recent PC parts crisis which makes it impossible to acquire certain things except for 3-4 times their real price was the final straw
1100 euros a RTX 3070 haha

So as of now I have decided to give up desktop PC gaming, which means I don't need a desktop PC anymore, logic

So I told myself, why not get a laptop. The problem is, I am incapable of playing an online FPS with a controller, and I don't want to completely give up the possibility of playing overwatch 2 or an eventual COD or BF in the future and possibly some older games from time to time... so titles from 1999 to 2016 (nothing new on PC)

Now here comes another issue, I haven't gamed on a laptop since 2007 to 2009, it was a lower end non gaming laptop, and apparently laptops always have the same issues, overheating, loud etc... Is that still the case?

Will it last 5 years with 2-3 hours of overwatch / day for multiple years? I will only need 70-80 fps, I don't care at all to have 120 or the full 144 fps

Are there laptops

And I have also thought, to not lose too much familiarity, to use a second display, a 24 inch 1080p 144hz in a sort of dual monitor setup

BUT I ask myself... will this reduce the performance of the laptop? If I launch a game on the main monitor for example and use the laptop screen for browsing, will I take a massive hit?

Should I want to turn the laptop screen off completely, is there a way to do this?

And now my ultimate question

For the suggested price, what are the BEST laptops available between now and march with best cooling and noise that contain at least these requirements

15 inch screen minimum

1tb storage minimum

16gb DDR4 minimum

120hz screen minimum

THANK YOU

I know this is alot, but I hope you can clarify my lost mind

You might find this useful:

I'm not a laptop guy, but I did have an Alienware as a desktop replacement for a couple of years in the mid 10s.

I am incapable of playing an online FPS with a controller, and I don't want to completely give up the possibility of playing overwatch 2 or an eventual COD or BF in the future and possibly some older games from time to time... so titles from 1999 to 2016 (nothing new on PC)
I assume you'd prefer to play with KB & mouse. That is simple, just plug them into the laptop ports—make sure you have matching connectors, of course, usually USB. You will need to make sure the laptop has enough ports, USB and others, for whatever you want to plug into it.

Will it last 5 years with 2-3 hours of overwatch / day for multiple years?
I bought mine 2nd-hand, and it lasted 5-6 years—I passed it on when finished travelling—being used 10-12 hours a day for work and play. So yes it can last if the build quality is decent.

use a second display … will this reduce the performance of the laptop?
I used mine with 2 TVs—I've used TVs as monitors for a long time—in a 3-monitor setup for a while. Alienware had buckets of power, so it didn't affect me. It will put extra load on the laptop, so again, depends on power of laptop.

turn the laptop screen off completely, is there a way to do this?
I turned my laptop screen off after a month or so, 3 monitors was too much. So there was a way for me, but I don't recall how I did it—I expect it was within Windows 7's settings somewhere, if so then you should be able to do it easily.

my ultimate question
Can't help with that, I'm afraid. Someone more knowledgeable should be along soon—good luck :)

Reactions: ZedClampet
Hi

So to spill the whole story, I have been using a PC as a primary source of games for over a decade and a PS for their exclusives... But recently I've started to question the use of the PC... I've used it mainly for online FPS (mainly overwatch) for the past few years

And this recent PC parts crisis which makes it impossible to acquire certain things except for 3-4 times their real price was the final straw
1100 euros a RTX 3070 haha

So as of now I have decided to give up desktop PC gaming, which means I don't need a desktop PC anymore, logic

So I told myself, why not get a laptop. The problem is, I am incapable of playing an online FPS with a controller, and I don't want to completely give up the possibility of playing overwatch 2 or an eventual COD or BF in the future and possibly some older games from time to time... so titles from 1999 to 2016 (nothing new on PC)

Now here comes another issue, I haven't gamed on a laptop since 2007 to 2009, it was a lower end non gaming laptop, and apparently laptops always have the same issues, overheating, loud etc... Is that still the case?

Will it last 5 years with 2-3 hours of overwatch / day for multiple years? I will only need 70-80 fps, I don't care at all to have 120 or the full 144 fps

Are there laptops

And I have also thought, to not lose too much familiarity, to use a second display, a 24 inch 1080p 144hz in a sort of dual monitor setup

BUT I ask myself... will this reduce the performance of the laptop? If I launch a game on the main monitor for example and use the laptop screen for browsing, will I take a massive hit?

Should I want to turn the laptop screen off completely, is there a way to do this?

And now my ultimate question

For the suggested price, what are the BEST laptops available between now and march with best cooling and noise that contain at least these requirements

15 inch screen minimum

1tb storage minimum

16gb DDR4 minimum

120hz screen minimum

THANK YOU

I know this is alot, but I hope you can clarify my lost mind
What country are you located and out of curiosity what is the specs of your current desktop including monitor resolution?

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
I'm in Germany / France

My 2014 PC is a

GTX 970
16gb ddr3
1tb HDD
128gb SSD

I wonder if a 2021 1000 dollar laptop is even as powerful as a 2014 desktop... I hear the scaling is pretty horrible on laptops compared to desktops

Reactions: Why_Me
I'm in Germany / France

My 2014 PC is a

GTX 970
16gb ddr3
1tb HDD
128gb SSD

I wonder if a 2021 1000 dollar laptop is even as powerful as a 2014 desktop... I hear the scaling is pretty horrible on laptops compared to desktops
The only advantage laptops have over desktops is portability. You could have a nice gaming desktop for $1500 euros assuming your monitor resolution is 1080P.

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
My old monitor is a 24 inch 1080p screen

I was planning on getting a 27 inch 1440p

But that is no longer possible

The price of the 3070 alone is over 1000 bucks

And I didn't want to pay more than 1400 for the whole PC....

And except overwatch 2 and maybe some TDM on a future cod, it won't be used for gaming lol 😆

Reactions: Why_Me
My old monitor is a 24 inch 1080p screen

I was planning on getting a 27 inch 1440p

But that is no longer possible

The price of the 3070 alone is over 1000 bucks

And I didn't want to pay more than 1400 for the whole PC....

And except overwatch 2 and maybe some TDM on a future cod, it won't be used for gaming lol 😆
1440P is doable for 1500 euros if you don't include the monitor.

No, a 2021 $1000 laptop is not as powerful as a decent 2014 desktop. But a $1500 and up 2021 laptop is.

Here's my laptop suggestion https://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=2049

The 3 screen setup is going to be a problem. Why do you want to get rid of the 2014 desktop? If all you want to play are competitive shooters, those really don't need much in the way of computing power. Your old desktop should be fine, and you aren't going to get practically anything for selling it.

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
Really, what laptop is currently better than a GTX 970 + 4790k

is a laptop 3050ti > a 970 desktop?

even 7 years difference and 3 gpu generations later?

I don't want my old desktop and I'm going to give it away

If I don't really use it for gaming I believe it is foolish to not go into a laptop

I don't want 3 screens I want a second screen just for productivity while I launch a game

Thanks for your laptop suggestion however I am skeptical of the brand as I have never heard of it before

How is the cooling and noise level

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I'm just unsure of what to get

I'm thinking of going with a 3050ti as a lower end GPU produces less heat and noise

and it may be enough for overwatch 2?

I'm actually skeptical because I feel as if gaming on a laptop will damage it or drastically reduce it's lifespan...

Oh my thread was moved, didn't realize that

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS