PCG Article John Madden returns to the cover of Madden NFL for the first time in more than 20 years (PCG Article)

I used to love listening to Madden on the NFL broadcasts. He was just extremely enthusiastic and personable, and you could tell he truly loved the game.

Some Madden and Madden video game trivia:

It's widely believed that Madden quit coaching because he developed a fear of flying. After he quit coaching, he never flew again. All throughout his broadcast career, he either took trains or his own bus to the games. Because of the schedules NFL teams keep, that simply wouldn't be possible for a coach.

Madden has the highest winning percentage of any NFL coach in history who coached at least 100 games.

The founder of Electronic Arts came to Madden wanting his help to make a football game. Besides giving them the Oakland Raiders playbook, Madden consulted on the job extensively. He was so demanding on authenticity that it took years to complete the first game.

Madden insisted that it wasn't football if there weren't eleven players on each team. This caused the first game to run poorly.

At one point, Electronic Arts offered to let Madden buy as many share options as he wanted, but he declined. He later called this the dumbest move of his life. It wasn't just a dumb move, it was a tragedy for the whole gaming world. The kind, enthusiastic and exacting John Madden could have been the owner of Electronic Arts for all those years.

I used to love listening to Madden on the NFL broadcasts. He was just extremely enthusiastic and personable, and you could tell he truly loved the game.
I've never played a sports PC game of any kind, but like yourself, I used to love it when John Madden was the announcer for a football game on TV. It was great when he used the telestrator (I think that's what is was called) and drew the play all over the TV screen. He had such a brilliant football mind. Paired with Pat Summeral they were the best pair of NFL Football announcers ever.
IolMYgf.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/NlWbTDFjQCU

I've never played a sports PC game of any kind, but like yourself, I used to love it when John Madden was the announcer for a football game on TV. It was great when he used the telestrator (I think that's what is was called) and drew the play all over the TV screen. He had such a brilliant football mind. Paired with Pat Summeral they were the best pair of NFL Football announcers ever.
IolMYgf.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/NlWbTDFjQCU
"When the going gets tough, quit." Somehow that reminded me of the "When life gives you lemons" speech in Portal 2.

Reactions: mainer and Zloth

TRENDING THREADS