Question Is This a Good Gaming PC Build for Competitive Gaming / Content Creation? Should I change anything?

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
- Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V AMD Optimized Memory
- Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, 140mm Dual-Tower CPU Cooler
- Cooler Master MCM-H500M-IHNN-S00 MasterCase ATX Mid-Tower
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Ftw3 Ultra
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB
- Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.Black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (140mm, Black) *Case fans 3x*
- WD Red Pro 4TB NAS Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD4003FFBX
- WD Red 2TB NAS Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 GB/S, 256MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EFAX *Back up drive, holds compressed drive image?*

I am thinking of investing in a gaming pc to continue competitively along with consistent content creation. I am somewhat new to high end pc hardware. Although I have done significant research I would appreciate a second opinion. Thank you.

Reactions: cdv-kun10
What monitor will you be gaming on? What resolution and refresh rate?

What software will you be using? Premiere Pro?

Why the Crosshair mobo versus another one?

Will you be streaming to twitch / youtube? Both at the same time?

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
- The monitor I will be playing on is the aw2518h at 1080p 240hz

- The Sofware ill be using are obs for recording and the editing software is undecided. however I would apprieciate any suggestions, prefereably software that is not paid for as a subscription and has effects to use in videos both visual and audio. Youtube videos will be max 1080p 60hz.

- I chose the Crosshair x570, specifically the hero viii, because of the price to quality and the amount of usb ports since I need quite a few usb ports.

- I will be streaming mostly on twitch and rarely on youtube. I will be taking one part of my twitch streams and editing it to post on youtube to increase variety and not limit viewers to just one platform.

Reactions: cdv-kun10
A 2080 ti and a 1080p 240hz monitor is a very niche combo.

What games are you playing? If competitive shooters then you will probably play on relatively low settings, where an RTX 2080 ti is completely wasted. You just won't be using the horsepower. If it's non-competitive gaming where you turn the settings up for a prettier experience, you'd probably want a 1440p monitor as the higher resolution makes for a much higher fidelity image.

The Crosshair is many things, but a good price vs quality option it is not :) It's the 'top tier' option with very specific features for very specific users. A less expensive X570 mobo (bearing in mind that almost any X570 is high end by definition) would likely be a better buy. And there are USB PCIe cards if really required.

Given the price range you're shopping in, and your intention to render videos, the R9 3950X would be seriously worth looking at, I'd say as a priority above the Crossair and the 2080 ti.

Also, consider more than 1 SSD. Managing game installs etc between a load of small drives is fiddly and unpleasant and not something I'd recommend - however, there can be performance gains for video editing depending how you use the drives. See:

Reactions: cdv-kun10 and Zoid
- WD Red 2TB NAS Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 GB/S, 256MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20EFAX *Back up drive, holds compressed drive image?*

I'd suggest buying an actual NAS device to hold your backup images, so that you don't have all your eggs (drives) in one basket (PC).

There are all-in-one products that aren't too expensive e.g. WD My Cloud products are very easy to use, but there are plenty of alternatives (OTTOMH e.g. Buffalo Linkstation). As well as the more expensive DIY scene.

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
- Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V AMD Optimized Memory
- Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, 140mm Dual-Tower CPU Cooler
- Cooler Master MCM-H500M-IHNN-S00 MasterCase ATX Mid-Tower
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Ftw3 Ultra
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB
- Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.Black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (140mm, Black) *Case fans 3x*
- WD Red Pro 4TB NAS Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD4003FFBX

I am thinking of investing in a gaming pc to continue competitively along with consistent content creation. I am somewhat new to high end pc hardware. Although I have done significant research I would appreciate a second opinion. Thank you.
This is a very high-end and expensive PC build. Nothing wrong with that, if you have the budget, but are you sure this fits with your needs? If all you will be doing is gaming at 1080p, streaming to twitch, and editing 1080p video in Adobe Premier then you don't need all this horsepower. An RTX 2080 Ti is pretty substantial overkill at 1080p.

As for the Ryzen 9 3900X, it's a great processor, but what will you use it for? If you'll be editing and encoding relatively short 1080p videos a couple of times per week, then a Ryzen 7 3700X might well be the smarter pick. If you decide that video editing and encoding is going to be a major part of what you use this PC for (and especially if you were going to be working with >1080p resolution), then I agree with @Oussebon that a 3950X is probably the one to look at.

I also agree with @Oussebon that if you're going to be accumulating multiple terabytes of videos, you should think about a separate, stand-alone, cloud-synced NAS for your bulk storage.

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS