Is This a Good Deal? Alienware R10 Ryzen Edition

Sep 3, 2021
Visit site
Ryzen 7 + RTX 3070 for $2k at Microcenter.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz Processor
  • NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6
  • 32GB DDR4-3400 RAM
  • 1TB SSD
  • 10/100/1000 LAN + WiFi 6 WLAN
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Also has Alienware's liquid cooling and a 1000 watt power supply.

Play around here:

Check this out from a good seller:

Sep 3, 2021
Visit site
Play around here:

Check this out from a good seller:

It seems like priced out on their own website, it's the same price as the pre-sale price at Microcenter (~$2600).

Sep 3, 2021
Visit site
Case looks like a heat trap, it doesn't give much fresh air in. looks like if they actually put AIO in it replaces the fan in roof of case.

Shortcircuit review isn't same CPU

I spoke with an acquaintance who bought the exact model from the same Microcenter just yesterday...he opened the case, and they, indeed, did put their proprietary liquid cooling on the CPU (also how I confirmed the dual channel RAM, haha). Knowing that, think it's worth? Pricing out the components alone (comparable to Alienware proprietary stuff like their mobo), it seems it's good value.

He's going to benchmark tonight after work.

Its your money but I wouldn't buy a Dell/Alienware even if they paid me to.

It might be okay. I don't know how good their 3070 are as they use non branded OEM GPU and I seen some where the heatsink on GPU doesn't touch the chips its meant to cool. They know people will buy their PC for the GPU so they don't make them the best.

I wouldn't buy a Dell/Alienware even if they paid me to
I wouldn't pick that Dell...even if they paid me double

On the other hand, I'm typing this on my Aurora R6, which has been rock solid for 4 years—after I 'inherited' it from someone else. I hate the inside, but performance, temps etc have been top notch.

I know many people who buy only Dell, because they've been so solid over the decades. I also have a good insight into their manufacturing methods, and based on my own time in computer manufacturing, they're generally again top notch.

Sep 3, 2021
Visit site
I wouldn't pick that Dell...even if they paid me double. What other options do you have at your disposal, OP?

Honestly? Building a PC with almost the same exact specs with non-Dell proprietary parts of course, but building my own (while waiting for a GPU) to game in 3440x1440. There's a 6600 XT available for ~$550 I can snag, but those seem like crap right now.

My mum only buys dell, mainly as they don't listen to me and think OEM are a good idea when I can point them at places that will build PC with better parts and which will last long time. I know one friend whose last 3 PC came from same place and they rock solid. He never had to return for repairs (but I live in Australia so I can't really offer you any store names, shipping would be silly)

if its same MB as Gamers Nexus video it doesn't have any heatsinks on vrm and if they get too hot they may pop.

I know someone who uses old Alienware PC but that case is bad for hot GPU but I can't stop you buying it.

Pop is an understatement.

Had I not seen that tear down by Gamer's Nexus, I'd have said go buy it. If you bought it and then asked how your purchase was, I'd have stayed quiet(taking this silly turn of events globally into account). If the pandemic and their ilk never happened I'd have said to get a refund. Prebuilts by the big wiggs are alright if you remain within "their spec" and don't tinker with your build but if you're someone who wants to eke out your investments, then building your own has and always will be the way to go albeit in todays climate they'll cost a little bit more but you get what you're looking for, i.e, you can pick what you want as opposed to having to deal with both good and bad in a prebuilt.

You don't need a kilowatt PSU in that build, more like 650~750, with a heavy overclock. Then is the cooling, you're given a mere 120mm or similar AIO to cool that 5800x? Add that with the bad airflow and we have ourselves an old fashioned BBQ. Storage options are limited, true, but other boards in the matx form factor have more M.2 storage options.

...quite the predicament you're in with us in the mix, huh?

Found this interesting, to say the least;
View: https://youtu.be/eo3CKzeGw3c

but that just means more resources spent on a prebuilt.

If you can't wait, then it's a good offer. If you can't build a system, it's still a good offer. At the end of the day, it's your money and you should decide what you want to do with it. I'm only here giving my 2 cents on the matter.

Last edited:
Prebuilts by the big wiggs are alright if you … don't tinker with your build but if you're someone who wants to eke out your investments, then building your own has and always will be the way to go
Absolutely agree! As I said…
I hate the inside
…I found it easier to work in my old Alienware laptop than in this desktop. I certainly wouldn't buy an Aurora as a prebuilt, because I want to be able to add/change it over the years, and it's just horrible to work inside and has quite limited expansion options.

If you can't build a system, it's still a good offer
This. Rock solid for 4 years.

TRENDING THREADS